2005/06 NBA Previews

NJTank

I can see the Cavs improved with Larry Hugues' addition, though in the end it'll be on Lebron's shoulders as to whether teh Cavs finally get to the playoffs or collapse again. The Bulls lost Eddy Curry, who finally looked like he was worth that first round pick, and Tyson Chandler's sure as hell not the inside presence Curry is.

Being a Bucks fan, I've had it up to here with everybody and their mother sayin we're gonna finish last (similarly to me having had enough of Herbstreit thinking Ohio State has a better shot at the Big Ten title than UW...have ya looked at the standings lately, Kirk?). I know the Central's gonna be the toughest division in the East by far, and Bogut's not exactly that Lew Alcindor fella, but the Bucks shall rise again. The division's gonna go to who wants it, and it's anybody's season. plop, the Pistons could wind up in the cellar, theoretically.

Lookin to the West, it's funny as hell and the NBA's one absolute truth:

From Merrian Webster's Dictionary -los.er \lu.zer\ n (1548) 1: one that loses esp. consistently. 2: one who is incompetent or unable to succeed: also: something doomed to fail or disappoint. 3: The Los Angeles Clippers land lords of last place in the Pacific Division.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I love how Detroit continues to be overlooked and underrated, despite the fact that:

1. They won the NBA title in 2004

2. The defeated the Heat last year in the East finals

3. Came within one win from defending the NBA title.

Then again, I'm sure the Pistons don't mind being underrated and overlooked too. :lol:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Larry Brown only turned around the 76ers and led them to the Finals, then led Detroit to two NBA Finals, and a Championship, and keep in mind that both team were NOT contenders when he took over. LB is the read deal. Hands down the best "coach" in the NBA today.

And you think Lawrence Frank is any better?? Wanna tell me what the hell has he ever done.

The Nets suck, again. Get over it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Right, Detroit wasn't a contender before Larry Brown took over. They had back to back 50 win seasons, won the Central Division both times and made the East Finals in 2003, but they weren't contenders.

Please.

You won't get any arguments about Larry Brown being the top coach in the NBA, but Detroit was a contender before he arrived. He simply put them over the top.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Well they are the 4th seed in my book which is what they would have been 2 years ago if there were 3 divisions and the Pacers has Artest for a full season.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Lookin to the West, it's funny as hell and the NBA's one absolute truth:
From Merrian Webster's Dictionary -los.er \lu.zer\ n (1548) 1: one that loses esp. consistently. 2: one who is incompetent or unable to succeed: also: something doomed to fail or disappoint. 3: The Los Angeles Clippers land lords of last place in the Pacific Division.

How soon we forget that the Lakers tied for last place, and the Clippers finished third.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well they are the 4th seed in my book which is what they would have been 2 years ago if there were 3 divisions and the Pacers has Artest for a full season.

That's exactly where have I Detroit. Indiana will take that division - and then boom, the Pistins can do no better than 4. I think it's absolutely ludicrous to say that the Knicks will finish better than the Nets. The team has a lot of chemistry to work on that'll take an entire season. Larry Brown never turned a franchise around in his FIRST year as head coach. It'll take time, and the Nets have Jefferson, Kidd and Carter - and, if you haven't been paying attention, they have an improving Nenad Kristic. What was their record in games he scored at least 10 points last year? Oh yeah, 29 and 12.

My main disagreement is with the placement of the Kings - if you think, that with Amare Stoudamire out for four months(and Joe Johnson's departure), that the Kings won't get in the playoffs, maybe win the division, I don't think you're looking at the Kings carefully enough. And please count on the Bucks making noise - they put together a hell of a starting line up.

For the Finals, I pick absolutely no one but the Spurs. They won the title, so what do they do? Add people like Michael Finley TO THEIR BENCH. This current team is deeper than any Spurs squad in the past. Here are my picks for the year, since we're all doing it:

EAST

1. Miami Heat

2. Indiana Pacers

3. New Jersey Nets

4. Detroit Pistons

5. Cleveland Cavaliers

6. Chicago Bulls

7. Milwuakee Bucks

8. New York Knicks

WEST

1. San Antonio Spurs

2. Sacramento Kings

3. Denver Nuggets

4. Dallas Mavericks

6. Phoenix Suns

7. Los Angeles Lakers

8. Golden State Warriors

My possible surprises(cause this always happens)?

East: Orlando Magic

West: Seattle Supersonics

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Might as well chuck in my picks as well...

EAST

1. Miami

2. Indiana

3. New Jersey

4. Detroit

5. Cleveland

6. Chicago

7. New York

8. Washington

--Miami's still the team to beat in the East, IMO...hard to discount any team with the likes of Shaq & DWade.

--Indiana's got everyone back and added a few good folks as well...as long as Artest remains reasonably sane, they'll take the Central.

--Jersey wins the Atlantic...because someone has to.

--Pistons will be like they were last year, IMO...still dangerous when it comes to the post-season.

--Cleveland gets off the schnide and bank on seeing DaBulls make a little run in the playoffs (seeing, I think they can kick the bejezus out of a very mediocre New Jersey team..I see enough of the Nets, they're nothing special in the East, IMO)

--The Knicks are much improved, but what helps them is the fact that a lot of teams are either down or are works in progress. Larry gets em into the post-season.

--I took Washington b/c I wasn't too comfy with what was left. Out of that bunch, the best is Milwaukee, but I think the Bucks are at least another year away, IMO.

WEST

1. San Antonio

2. Sacremento

3. Denver

4. Seattle

5. Phoenix

6. Dallas

7. LA Lakers

8. Memphis

--The road to the title goes through San Antonio. They're the odds on faves to not only win the west, but repeat as champs.

--SacTown's better, but I think they'll do their usual fold-in-the-playoffs act (probably spitting the bit in round 1 vs. the Lakers)

--Denver realizes their potential by taking a very down Northwest and then making a little run to the Conf. Finals.

--Seattle's still a very solid team, and I think they're good enough to get home court in round 1.

--Phoenix will be hampered big time by the loss of Stoudamire for the beginning of the season. That #5 seed is subject to change pending on how Amare's bounceback from the injury is.

--The LakeShow will be back in the postseason and they'll do OK (see assessment of Kings)

--Tough choice for the 8 spot...I could see 4 teams contending for this: Memphis, the Clips, Golden St., and (yes) Minnesota. In the end, I went with the Grizz.

FINALS PICK

San Antonio over Indiana

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Here's my predictions. I'm going all out just so I can laugh at it later and see how stupid I looked :D.

West

1. Spurs - Amazing chemistry and coaching. Should lead wire to wire.

2. Nuggets - Played fantastic under Karl the last half of the season and should continue to barring any major injuries.

3. Kings - My pick would be the Suns if Amare wasn't going to be out til the ASB. Good additions in Wells and Reef should make this a potent offensive team.

4. Rockets - Yao will continue to improve and with good offseason additions they will overtake the Mavs for the 4th spot.

5 Mavericks - With no significant off season moves this team will stay about the same.

6. Suns - When Amare gets back look for this team to make a late season push.

7. Timberwolves - I think the new additions will provide the energy and chemistry KG needs to get this team back to the playoffs.

8. Warriors - Davis and Richardson will prove to be one of the top back courts in the league. Add solid role players and that will be enough to get Golden State back to the playoffs in god knows how many years.

--------

9. Lakers - The return of Phil Jackson and some decent additions will improve the team a bit, but they will come up just short in the end.

10. Jazz - If everyone stays healthy look for this team to be vastly improved, finishing just a few games out of the playoffs.

11. Sonics - This is a tough call, but the loss of McMillan will hurt more then people think and it will effect chemistry.The Sonics will have a dissapointing year.

12. Memphis - With a completely revamped roster, the chemistry will take a hit. I think they struggle out of the gate and never recover.

13. Clippers - If Livingston can stay healthy I think he will show the Clippers why they spent that high pick on him. They should be improved, but not by much. I'm sorry Brand, you deserve better.

14. Blazers - A young team with alot of promise. They will have their time, it just isn't now.

15 Hornets - Paul will have a great rookie season. Nothing really else to say other then they stink.

East

1. Heat - Wade and Shaq will continue to amaze. Jason Williams will fit in well, and Walker should be a good 6th man. I personally don't think there will be chemistry problems but I definetly see how it's possible.

2. Pacers - Artest will be back and badder(not that kind of bad) then ever. This will be a team on a mission after basically throwing last season.

3. Nets - Kid, Carter, and Jefferson will be enough to win the mediocre Atlantic.

4. Pistons - I think this team is experienced enough to be coached by just about anyone. Shouldn't be much of a change in play style under Flip. GL Flip.

5. Cavaliers - Lebron finally has a team around him? Madness! This is the year Lebron starts his anual MVP campaign.

6. Wizards - Getting Butler to fill the gap Hughes departure created helps alot. I think this will be a better TEAM although their record may not show it. Should be more shots to go around.

7. Sixers - AI and Webber will continue to dissapoint as a duo. Pray to god that Webber doesn't get injured.

8. Chicago - Good chemistry and the Mariano Rivera of basketball is all this team needs to make the playoffs in the east (ok maybe some solid play from an improving Hinrich wouldn't hurt).

--------

9. Knicks - LB will improve the team play and defense alot, but they will still come up short. Curry will have a great season and not die mid game.

10. Milwaukee - Bogut will have a mediocre season. Pretty good offseason will improve this team but not enough to make the playoffs.

11. Boston - You have to take a step backwards to take 2 steps forward or something like that. They aren't taking any forward steps this year though. Look for a promising showing from Gerald Green.

12. Magic - I think Steve Francis will have bitched his way out of town by the end of the year. If Fran Vaszquez even shows up look for a dissapointing season from him. Dwight Howard continues to emerge as a superstar in the NBA.

13. Bobcats - Very bright future for sure. Keyword: Future.

14. Raptors - Villenueava is a dissapointment, fans are still mad at GM, another bad season.

15. Hawks - Joe Johnson wonders what the hell he was thinking. Marvin Williams has an impressive rook year, finishing high in the ROTY voting.

MVP: Lebron James - Finally leads his team to the playoffs getting the recognition he needs to win MVP. PPG goes down but APG up. Runners up: Tim Duncan, Dwyane Wade, Ron Artest, Tracy McGrady

Rookie of the year: Chris Paul - Paul puts up great numbers on a terrible team. Runners up: Marvin Williams, Deron Williams, Raymond Felton, Rashad McCants

Defensive player of the year: Artest will be focused and out to prove himself. A little sympathy Will help him win too. Runners up: Ben Wallace, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard

Most Improved player: Kwame Brown - I don't know if this is because I feel sorry for the dude or not, but I think a new location, the zen master and new teammates will be enough to get him performing. Runners up: Darko Milicic, James Jones, Nikoloz Tskitishvili

6th man of the year: Antoine Walker - Decent numbers and being on the Heat alone should get him this award. I don't know any runners up ok.

Playoffs: First Round

Spurs over Warriors in 5 - The Spurs defensive will shut down the high flying backcourt duo. The Warriors will squeek one by in Oakland.

Rockets over Mavericks in 7 - T-Mac finally gets it done in the playoffs. Look for a very close series. Could go either way.

Nuggets over Timberwolves in 6 - The Nuggets should be able to handle the Wolves in the mile high city, but will drop a couple back in Minnesota where they are known to have trouble.

Suns over Kings in 7 - My first round upset of the year. Each team should hold its home court but the Suns will find a way to pull it out in 7.

Heat over Bulls in 4: The Heat will dominate the bulls in this series.

Pistons over Cavs in 6: Cleveland will win a couple at home, but Detroit will just be too much to handle at the Palace.

Pacers over Sixers in 5: Again, the team on the mission thing. Philly doesn't stand a chance.

Nets over Wizards in 6: Each game should be pretty close score wise, but the Nets get it done.

Second Round

Spurs over Rockets in 6: The real western confrence finals: The spurs will contain the duo of yao and t-mac somewhat, but they will find away to push it to 6.

Nuggets over Suns in 7: Possibly the most entertaining series of the playoffs. Nuggets get it done on their home floor in game seven.

Heat over Pistons in 7: A rematch of last years ECF, but this time the outcome will be different. A healthy Heat team get it done on their home court in game 7.

Pacers over Nets in 5: The Pacers prove to be far too much to handle for a one demensional Nets team. Handily beating them in 5 games.

Confrence Finals

Spurs over Nuggets in 6: The Spurs handle the nuggets at home and drop a few on the road.

Heat over Pacers in 7: If the Heat are still healthy I look for their advantage on the offensive end to be able to push them over the top in this series. Home court helps too.

Finals

Spurs over Heat in 6: The Spurs are champions once again due to their unselfish play and tenacious defensive. They shut down a talented Heat squad to take the title in 6.

Finals MVP: Duncan.

Random Predicitions:

Artest is suspeneded a total of 6 games.

Rasheed Wallace once again leads the league in technical fouls.

Sam Cassell misses at least half the year.

At least one rumor of Larry Brown wanting out of NY/another job.

Antoine Walker takes alot of shots that makes us wonder why.

The Pacers realize it was a stupid idea to paint the sideline grey.

Charlie Villenueava finds magical cure to grow hair.

Untitled-1.png

I hope I am not too late...wait, isn't today Thursday? Hmm...still, just a quick, albeit late, input.

Western Playoff Standings:

1. San Antonio Spurs (coming short of a Finals appearance is near impossible)

2. Denver Nuggets (despite loss to Spurs, still the prime of their division)

3. Sacramento Kings (the new-look Kings will do fine, though that loss worries me some)

4. Houston Rockets (expect Yao with a better presence and McGrady with a possible scoring title)

5. Dallas Mavericks (a more defensive-minded team, which will help keep the once offensive-powerhouse afloat)

6. Phoenix Suns (resilient enough that once Amare comes back, think about their success being like George Karl's record in the second-half)

7. Golden State Warriors (the 11-season playoff streak ends...finally)

8. Utah Jazz (Sloan is able to just squeeze in from a tri-way battle between the Lakers and the Grizzles)

Conference: San Antonio over Houston

Eastern Playoff Standings:

1. Miami Heat (the only thing holding this reconstructed team back is coach issues...which is still a wait-and-see basis)

2. Indiana Pacers (with Artest back and J.S. on the team, they could reach the Finals)

3. New Jersey Nets (the beginning of a nice swan song for the state of New Jersey)

4. Detroit Pistons (still gruff, still great, still underrated, but not enough to conquer the Pacers)

5. Cleveland Cavaliers (the start of something wonderful: LeBron in the playoffs)

6. Washington Wizards (kudos to the GM office for turning some losses into solid improvements)

7. Philadelphia 76ers (Iverson and C-Webb will improve, though the rest of the team is not quite up to their possible tempo)

8. Milwaukee Bucks (the most active of the offseason, they could place anywhere from this spot to #5)

Conference: Miami over Indiana

NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs over Miami Heat, 4-2

And despite the season starting two days ago, I still stand by these rankings.

GR30a5H.png

Archived