Why Cowboys?

lypator

Howerver, what style would be used?  The "classic" two sleeve stripe design or the "modern" single-stripe/overlay star design?

I could go either way. I DID put together a proposed set a while ago that was based on their current roads:

DallasCowboys_PropUN_01.jpg

Remember, the actual fabric colors would be a bit lighter...don't get too caught up in how dark the Metallic Silver Blue looks here. Metallics look somewhat darker in RGB than they would in print. Has to do with the reflective properties of the metallic flake in the ink or something.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Howerver, what style would be used?  The "classic" two sleeve stripe design or the "modern" single-stripe/overlay star design?

I could go either way. I DID put together a proposed set a while ago that was based on their current roads:

DallasCowboys_PropUN_01.jpg

Remember, the actual fabric colors would be a bit lighter...don't get too caught up in how dark the Metallic Silver Blue looks here. Metallics look somewhat darker in RGB than they would in print. Has to do with the reflective properties of the metallic flake in the ink or something.

Ah - I remember this concept now; I just didn't remember it was yours - sorry! I did like this for going all "modern".

Personally, with this set I would use a blue facemask, reverse the sleeve stripe and also use the striped collar on the white jersey, but those are really minor tweaks to a nice concept.

I'm one of the few on this board that doesn't really mind that Cowboys color discrepency. However, the one change I would love to see is the removal of the black on the white jersey sleeves. With a uniform set full of unncessary tweeks, the black outlines are the stupidest of all of them.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I did some tweaks...and, this is using my proposed Textile colors - so that the Metallic Silver Blue will stand out more:

DallasCowboys_PropUN_03_TEX.jpg

You'll notice that I changed the colors on the White jersey sleeve stripes, and also cleaned up the stars on the sleeves. Of course, with today's sleeve lengths, these graphics would have to be made smaller to fit.

I'm on the fence as far as the collar striping goes. I'm not sure it's necessary with all that's going on in the uniforms. I think it might make it too busy.

Please, no stars on the home whites. It's just overkill. The Packers don't have a "G" on their sleeves (though they did) and the Raiders don't have their classic emblem on the jersey either. I could live with a star patch like the Steelers, but that's it.

I did some tweaks...and, this is using my proposed Textile colors - so that the Metallic Silver Blue will stand out more:

DallasCowboys_PropUN_03_TEX.jpg

You'll notice that I changed the colors on the White jersey sleeve stripes, and also cleaned up the stars on the sleeves. Of course, with today's sleeve lengths, these graphics would have to be made smaller to fit.

I'm on the fence as far as the collar striping goes. I'm not sure it's necessary with all that's going on in the uniforms. I think it might make it too busy.

Very nice. Also, I may have been too hasty when I said "add the striped collar" - I guess really I just think they should match (either both plain or both striped), and the plain is a bit cleaner.

Please, no stars on the home whites. It's just overkill. The Packers don't have a "G" on their sleeves (though they did) and the Raiders don't have their classic emblem on the jersey either. I could live with a star patch like the Steelers, but that's it.

I might agree with you...

I'm working on some additional changes...

OK...I'm goin' pretty conservative on these:

DallasCowboys_PropUN_06_TEX.jpg

I went through a lot of trial-and-error, but I think this just might incorporate some modern styles, yet still respect tradition somewhat, and fixes the color matching mess.

What 'cha think?

I see you're not a fan of solid, unstenciled numbers. I always liked the "shadowed" numbers worn by the Niners in '94. I think the Boys would look just as sharp with the traditional blue numbers shadowed by silver.

I despise single tackle twill. I really do. I think that it looks unbalanced to have more than one color (besides White) and not use it in the numbers as well. The numbers end up being a prominent focal point in the uniform, and it looks out of synch in my eyes to have big single color numbers, when there's all this other stuff going on. And yes, I'm talkin' to the Packers and Steelers as well...

:P

I'm also not that big of a fan of dropshadows...I realize it's kind of a current fad, but I don't think that would work too well for the Cowboys. Stylistically, the logo itself is a double-outline...if the logo were to be some sort of dropshadowed shape (I'm not saying it should be), maybe that might work, but given the style of the logo, my thought was to have the number font match up with the style of the logo.

And to address the Royal Blue vs. Navy Blue thing: I chose Navy Blue because it works the best with the Silver-Blue that the Cowboys currently use. That Silver-Blue was a custom color that Tex Schramm came up with in the mid-'60s to stand out on color television sets, and I think it should stay. Since the helmet has used Navy along with the Silver-Blue for so long as well, I thought it looks better to have the contrast. Royal Blue against the Silver-Blue just doesn't work that well (I DID try it; it looked really odd).

The Silver-Blue is the focus in these uniforms...very few teams use it (actually, the Philadelphia Eagles use it in their helmet logo, but that's a whole other story), and it has become somewhat of a focal point in their identity.

Stylistically, the logo itself is a double-outline... my thought was to have the number font match up with the style of the logo.

That's it!! Now I know what has been bothering me about the silver interior outline on the numbers on your white jersey.

The logo has a white interior outline, so it seems like the blue numbers on the white jersey should also have a white interior outline instead of a silver one. That would really make the numbers "match up with the style of the logo." It would also be more consistent with the numbers on the blue jersey, which have an interior outline that matches the jersey color.

POST NO. 750 :wacko:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Dallas pants have become less blue over the years, and so have the helmets:

I believe the helmets got a bit more "silver" in the early 1980s after the navy/silver dark uniform had been established for a few years.

Also, the Maxpro helmets used by a lot of Cowboys in the late 1970s/early 1980s looked more "silver" because they were clear shells painted on the inside instead of white shells painted on the outside like the Riddell helmets in your photos.

That's it!! Now I know what has been bothering me about the silver interior outline on the numbers on your white jersey.

The logo has a white interior outline, so it seems like the blue numbers on the white jersey should also have a white interior outline instead of a silver one. That would really make the numbers "match up with the style of the logo." It would also be more consistent with the numbers on the blue jersey, which have an interior outline that matches the jersey color.

POST NO. 750 :wacko:

I hear you.

I played with that as well...for the very same reasons you just gave. And then, I put the Silver-Blue trim back in for the very reasons I just stated about color-balance.

However, I'm going to take it back out...

(hang on)

I think the best Dallas Cowboy uniforms of all time were the ones they wore in Super Bowl 5 against the Baltimore Colts...those rocked! I sure wish they would go back to those as their dark uniform

Also my favorite NFL Films Super Bowl video that doesn't involve the Packers winning their three Super Bowls. Great music, and that's where I got (I think) the line I occasionally use when broadcasting low-scoring games: (spoken in a low John Facenda-like voice) "A grim defensive struggle."

Packers-2.png

Archived