Second NFL team in Chicago

Herk

LA deserves 1 team before Chicago gets a second.

LA already has two football teams that share a stadium.

No they don't!

But Carson does. :P

And I have to wonder whether this has anything to do with the possibility of the Saints moving to LA, thus creating an even wider TV market gulf between FOX (NFC) and CBS (AFC). By creating a Chicago AFC expansion team (I'm assuming the team would go in the AFC), you start to get a little more balance back with regard to the value of the AFC television package. I, for one, do believe that a second Chicago based team could be viable. It would be a good regional rival for Indianapolis and I don't feel it would hurt the Bears' fan base, especially if the teams played home games on alternating weekends. A domed stadium would also give Chicago an in for future Super Bowls. That said, I'd hate to see a Chicago football team, any Chicago football team play indoor home games.

I don't know why Hizzoner Da Mayor has such a chubby for putting the Olympics in Chicago, but give it up already. Putting an event like that here would be a logisitical nightmare, and would be hell on Earth for any resident of the greater Chicago area. And haven't the Olympics proven themselves to be far more of a financial burden to their host cities in the past several years?

And as for the issue of a second NFL team in Chicago, scrap that, too. There was a time when this city supported two NFL franchises - but those days have long since passed. Yes, the Cubs and Sox keep us going through the summer, everybody hopped on for the Bulls' run, and the Blackhawks had a great following back when they played NHL hockey, but make no mistake about it: This is a Bears town, first and foremost. It could be the middle of July, with the Cubs and Cards in a pivotal 4-game weekend stand at Wrigley and the Sox gunning for the Yankees in New York. But all someone would have to do is whisper the words "quarterback controversy," and there's your story splashed on the back page of the Sun-Times. Fans here are irrationally rabid about the Bears, and support them like no other team. (And this is coming from a lifelong Packer fan.) Trying to put another NFL franchise here to compete makes about as much sense as trying to move the Vancouver Grizzlies to Dixmoor.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Chicago is big enough to support two teams, for example the Cubs and the White Sox (or should I say, the "World Champion" White Sox).

It doesn't matter to me whether Chicago gets a second team in any other pro sports league. The Raiders and the Grizzlies came close to becoming just that. And the AHL's Wolves might as well be that 2nd CHicago NHL team. There's just not enough leeway to pull it off. Plus there's so many pro sports teams as it is.

I wouldn't doubt getting a 2nd NHL team in Montréal, though, being a loyal Nordiques fan myself.

Archived