NBA one-on-one tournament

mjrbaseball

Hello.

I am trying to find any information about the NBA One-on-One Tournaments that were held back in the 1970s. Does anyone remember them or know where to find details.

I don't recall much, but I do remember watching some of them. I think they were held during the 1971-73 seasons, but I'm not sure. They were shot on tape, and played back at halftime of NBA games on ABC.

From what I recall, there was little or no crowds at the tournament. The games were half-court, and even though the NBA didn't have a three-point shot, the ABA three-point circle was painted on the court for the players to "take it back" (instead of using the half-court line like you do on the playground). Games were to 21 points, and you had to win by two. There was a referee to call fouls.

The only certain information I have found is that Geoff Petrie of the Portland Trailblazers won the tournament in 1973. (It's on his bio as president of the Sacramento Kings.)

Thanks for your help.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Were these games of 1-on-1 or HORSE?

I remember seeing a game of HORSE on ESPN Classic about 6 months ago, with Pete Maravich and George Gervin. There were all types of trick shots and stuff.

I was pretty much mesmerized.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I remember seeing a game of HORSE on ESPN Classic about 6 months ago, with Pete Maravich and George Gervin. There were all types of trick shots and stuff.

Today, one of the trick shots would involve making a 16-foot jump shot.

No, the ones on ABC were one-on-one games.

The HORSE tournament you refer to came on CBS after they won the NBA rights from ABC in the late '70s.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I remember them. They were on tape and usually played at halftime of the televised game. The players were in some empty gym playing a one-on-one game. It was pretty weak even back then.

If memory serves they also had a similar feature with dunks instead of one-on-one games.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived