LSU released a new academic logo

bsilva1

I guess the school wants all its departments to have a unified feel to them. I can't think of any other school that adopted its athletic wordmark font for the entire school.

It's a nice way to show off the font "Geaux" to those who wouldn't normally look at the athletics department.

I like the new tower image. It's not as heavy, but looks more modern than the rocket-looking one on the bottom. I wonder if they removed the water imagery because of Katrina.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It doesn't have the formality of a traditional academic logo and is reflective of alot of the work I've seen out of LSU's Graphic Design school (hand sketched look, somewhat abstract, bright colors, etc.). The old logo is just old, without a classic look.

I doubt the removal of the water has anything to do with Katrina. Baton Rouge didn't suffer any significant water damage. I think the water on the old logo was a reference to the LSU lakes (which Heuy Long had made to keep Southern from building its campus right next to LSU, fwiw). LSU is on the Mississippi so I guess it could reference that.

eyecopy1tn.jpg

I wonder if they removed the water imagery because of Katrina.

That's the first thing I thought.

I honestly don't like the fact the athletic and academic marks use the same font. It's not horrible or anything, but they could have done better. The academic mark should look classy, dignified, and scholarly, not like something you'd see on the track uniforms!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't like the hand-drawn tower; it's creates a distracting juxtaposition with the structured "LSU" set in the Geaux typeface. The lines in it, also look black to me. They should definitely be purple, and a little thicker, in my opinion, for this to succeed.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 weeks later...
I honestly don't like the fact the athletic and academic marks use the same font. It's not horrible or anything, but they could have done better. The academic mark should look classy, dignified, and scholarly, not like something you'd see on the track uniforms!

Couldn't have said it better myself. For an academic logo, it's missing that erudite, refined look that a large university should be seeking to put forward. Save the Geaux font for the field, or at least the football helmets, if you're that in love with it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived