MLB Logo

BallWonk

Interesting photo in the Washington Post on Friday, January 20. The paper ran a story marking the 25th anniversary of the release of American hostages from Iran centered on the lifetime pass each returning hostage received from baseball.

On the inside jump, the Post included a photo of one of the former hostages' pass, a credit-card-sized gold card with his name and the signatures of the commissioner, the league presidents, and the head of minor league baseball. At the top it said, "Professional Baseball" and instead of the batter-profile logo in use since 1969, it had the older ball-on-wavy-flag logo.

Which suggests that the older logo was kept in use to designate the major and minor leagues together as "Professional Baseball." The article mentions that several of the former hostages use their passes for minor-league games as well as big-league games.

So does anyone know whether Professional Baseball kept the wavy-flag logo after 1969, and ought the logo database be updated?

20082614447.png

Interesting photo in the Washington Post on Friday, January 20. The paper ran a story marking the 25th anniversary of the release of American hostages from Iran centered on the lifetime pass each returning hostage received from baseball.

Who was it that said in response to this "Haven't they suffered enough?" Was it Carson or Letterman or someone like that? I remember the quote from a sports book but I can't remember who said it.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Who was it that said in response to this "Haven't they suffered enough?" Was it Carson or Letterman or someone like that? I remember the quote from a sports book but I can't remember who said it.

It was former Pitt SID and ESPN college football maven Beano Cook.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

what chris has on there makes me wonder since its a flag in red white and blue, I wonder if it went away when the expos (and canada) came into MLB. wasnt a 100th anniversary logo with the current mlb logo created then?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Please provide any examples. To my knowledge this was created at the same time as the silhouetted MLB batter in 1969. It's featured on the cover of the 1970 All Star Game program.

Um...he has an entire site dedacated to sports logos. I'd say Chris knows what he's talking about.

Please provide any examples. To my knowledge this was created at the same time as the silhouetted MLB batter in 1969. It's featured on the cover of the 1970 All Star Game program.

Um...he has an entire site dedacated to sports logos. I'd say Chris knows what he's talking about.

Not necessarily

I cannot locate any example at this time, but I will be looking -- there must've been a reason why I listed it the years I did

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

With all due respect Icecap, trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

When Bowie Kuhn was installed as Commissioner of Baseball in February 1969, MLB expanded their marketing efforts by engaging Licensing Corporation of America (LCA) in a professional services arrangement to modernize the marketing of the sport. This logo was produced in conjunction with that initiative.

Major League Baseball never had a single cohesive logo prior to 1969. The National League logo debuted in 1957, the current AL logo in 1968. Don't forget the fact that the League offices operated much more independently prior to this era, with offices in places other than New York, hence no single MLB identity.

With all due respect Icecap, trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

When Bowie Kuhn was installed as Commissioner of Baseball in February 1969, MLB expanded their marketing efforts by engaging Licensing Corporation of America (LCA) in a professional services arrangement to modernize the marketing of the sport. This logo was produced in conjunction with that initiative.

Major League Baseball never had a single cohesive logo prior to 1969. The National League logo debuted in 1957, the current AL logo in 1968. Don't forget the fact that the League offices operated much more independently prior to this era, with offices in places other than New York, hence no single MLB identity.

I can vouch for Bulldog...I wouldn't question anything that he posts here.

[forrestgump]That's all I have to say about that.[/forrestgump]

Archived