Hula Bowl: Both Teams In Dark Jerseys

GasHouse1934

Just flipped on the Hula Bowl (it's on ESPN 2), and at first glance, I could barely tell the teams from one another. Granted, the TV I'm looking at doesn't have the greatest color on it, but on the other hand, it's rather cool. It's pretty much a royal blue shirt for the West team and a slightly darkish red for the East. Not a combination you get to see very often.

Oh yeah, and the game is back at Aloha Stadium for the first time since 1997.

Fred

think that's bad???

go back in time before 1957 when nfl teams could wear darks against each other, and you're at home sitting and watching the packers and bears on that big old $250 (a ton of coin back then) philco BLACK & WHITE tv.

gives you an idea why the nfl adopted the white jersey for road teams and dark jersey for home rule in 57.

tb

a bit off topic but: in shriners game, is it tradition to overload one's helmet with a billion school logos?

Yes, most teams trade logos to put on each others' helmets. The two teams that usually leave theirs unadorned are Ohio State and Miami.

This is also done in the North-South Ohio All-Star high school game.

I HATE the tradition of trading logos. In a way, it kind of disses your school. I liked the cleaner look of the teams facing off with the clearly visible school helmets. You could tell who was whom. Now, it is just 22 dudes lined up and you can barely tell where they are from. The next thing you know, they will be wearing long baggy shorts in college basketball. I'm old.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived