NFL/NCAA Copyrights

BaltimoreFan

I couple friends and I were thinking about starting a spring flag football team this year. According to the league, we have to have matching shirts. So, we figured we would just get iron-on transfers. However I was wondering if the NFL or NCAA would have a problem if we used on of their logos on our jerseys? The league has a website, but no pictures. It would list our team name but not our logo. The only people that would really see the logo would be people at the fields when we play. Thanks for any info.

I couple friends and I were thinking about starting a spring flag football team this year. According to the league, we have to have matching shirts. So, we figured we would just get iron-on transfers. However I was wondering if the NFL or NCAA would have a problem if we used on of their logos on our jerseys? The league has a website, but no pictures. It would list our team name but not our logo. The only people that would really see the logo would be people at the fields when we play. Thanks for any info.

it's not against the law if you dont get caught.

what school/team were you going to use?

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

It may not technically be legal, but if youre not making money they almost certainly won't care. they got more important things to worry about, especially the king of sports bureaucracy, the NCAA.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I'm not sure what team we would use. The league doesn't start for a while, I just wanted to ask while I was thinking about it.

We would not be making any sort of profit off of them. I didn't think it would be a problem. I just figured I'd ask. Some jack@$$ called PETA on my friends community pool because they threw goldfish in once a year for kids to catch. I was wondering if NFL/NCAA would care if some else happened to be that upset.

Some jack@$$ called PETA on my friends community pool because they threw goldfish in once a year for kids to catch. I was wondering if NFL/NCAA would care if some else happened to be that upset.

well those are two different scenerios..one involves harming an animal the other is a small copyright infringement.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

There is a problem with your idea,

You are reproducing a copyrighted work. If you ever listened to the copyright info on an NFL game, you need written consent from the proper owners of the logos and to do a fair use claim you will need to add a disclaimer to every thing that has a logo of an NFL team to it (i.e every jersey)saying that the logos arent yours and also for a fair use claim you have to use the logo in its exact state (colors and everything) to prevent likeness infrigement. BUT IF YOU DONT GET CAUGHT WHATS THE PROBLEM right?

P.S. No copyright infrigement is small if you get sued your great grandkids will be paying off the settlement. (You may get lucky and get a C&D letter before you get sued)

P.S. No copyright infrigement is small if you get sued your great grandkids will be paying off the settlement. (You may get lucky and get a C&D letter before you get sued)

The NFL realizes that such a judgment would take forever (if ever) to get paid off and likely no pursue that option. This is why the RIAA always looks to settle infringment cases--they'd rather have a couple grand in cash than a piece of paper that says LINKINPARKFAN1337 owes them $450,000 for sharing songs.

If the NFL actually found out, and actually cared, they'd almost certainly just send a C&D and let that be the end of it.

1zgyd8w.jpg

i think the NFL/NCAA would have a problem is you pretend to be a representive of them. Like for instance, if you claim that your league is a NFL sponsor. Take little league for instance, MLB will not go after those little league for calling themselves the Yankees.

I'm not sure what team we would use. The league doesn't start for a while, I just wanted to ask while I was thinking about it.

We would not be making any sort of profit off of them. I didn't think it would be a problem. I just figured I'd ask. Some jack@$$ called PETA on my friends community pool because they threw goldfish in once a year for kids to catch. I was wondering if NFL/NCAA would care if some else happened to be that upset.

I can't speak to the NCAA, but as someone who runs a flag football league, and who has encountered this exact scenario before (contacting the NFL office for clarification/assistance), I can say that NFL teams generally don't care, provided (1) you don't use their logo on a web site or in another 'publicly accessible' manner, (2) if you use a logo for game uniforms, you buy NFL licensed apparel for that purpose, and most important of all, (3) you don't, under any circumstances, attempt to generate revenue from the name/logo.

nav-logo.png

Archived