Rating the College Hockey Duds

OnWis97

Texas actually has a hockey team, and the jerseys aren't bad.

04Novlizawayjersey.jpg

The white one looks better IMO, bot I couldn't find a pic.

Where's the jersey? I don't see it :D

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I'm an adopted Gopher, so as much as it pains me to say this, I like Colorado College's jerseys. Very simple and traditional. I actually think Nike did a good job with many of the college jerseys the were designing back in the early 2000s.

MichiganTechvsCC37OConnellsave.jpg

DUvsCC37OConnellsave2.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Texas actually has a hockey team, and the jerseys aren't bad.

04Novlizawayjersey.jpg

The white one looks better IMO, bot I couldn't find a pic.

I hope that she's the owner of those gloves, because I sure as heck wouldn't touch someone else's gloves with a ten foot pole! I'm sure any hockey players or hockey players' family/friends/acquaintances on this board know where I'm coming from. On the other hand, those gloves to look new, so maybe she's okay.

EDIT: Shoot! Two posts in a row by me--how tacky!

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Sorry, Moose, but I don't like the Bemidji State uniforms.

Yes, they're simple, and simple is generally good. But uncreatively simple isn't good.

I'd much rather see the Bemidji Beaver logo on the front with no lettering.

Sorry, Moose, but I don't like the Bemidji State uniforms.

Yes, they're simple, and simple is generally good. But uncreatively simple isn't good.

I'd much rather see the Bemidji Beaver logo on the front with no lettering.

The women's team has the logo, and I'm not a fan...

DSC_0010.jpg

And it looks worse on the green jersey, although I can't find a pic online. I suppose one problem is that the logo is one-color (all green), so it looks a bit cheap. Still, I like the traditional look of the men's over the women's, plus it is a throwback to the late '60's early '70's jersey:

68.jpg

Moose

edit - And on those Texas jerseys - probibly 90% of schools have club teams (like Texas). The article that was posted was about Division-I hockey teams. As in schools that actually sponsor D-I hockey (there are only 59 of them...). There's a big difference between Club and D-I hockey...

edit - And on those Texas jerseys - probibly 90% of schools have club teams (like Texas). The article that was posted was about Division-I hockey teams. As in schools that actually sponsor D-I hockey (there are only 59 of them...). There's a big difference between Club and D-I hockey...

Depends on the club. Some are very professional and take their teams seriously and are considered major sports at their schools such as Penn State who beat NCAA D-1 Robert Morris this year. (Granted Robert Morris isn't that good, but still. Most of the top club teams could play pretty well against NCAA teams. Probably wouldn't win a whole lot, but they could make the games close. It's not a huge difference. Some club teams are very prestigous and get pretty good players that go on to professional leagues.)

Even some schools support their club teams very well that would suprise you like Kentucky, Arizona, Tennessee, Oklahoma, or Georgia. Hockey at Arizona is considered the be the third biggest sport behind basketball and football I believe. Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Tennessee pack their arenas for every game. And the Georgia/Georgia Tech rivalry game for the Thrasher Cup sold out an arena of almost 10,000.

And of course there's the not so suprising ones like Ohio who used to be NCAA, Iowa State, Syracuse, and Penn State who might be going NCAA soon. They're all supported well.

But you go down to Div. 2 or Div. 3 of the ACHA and it gets less serious and is more just an extra-curricular thing for the students.

As for club team jerseys. I like Washington's the most. Oklahoma's are nice and classic too. North Dakota has my favorite current NCAA threads too.

edit - And on those Texas jerseys - probibly 90% of schools have club teams (like Texas).  The article that was posted was about Division-I hockey teams.  As in schools that actually sponsor D-I hockey (there are only 59 of them...).  There's a big difference between Club and D-I hockey...

Depends on the club. Some are very professional and take their teams seriously and are considered major sports at their schools such as Penn State who beat NCAA D-1 Robert Morris this year. (Granted Robert Morris isn't that good, but still. Most of the top club teams could play pretty well against NCAA teams. Probably wouldn't win a whole lot, but they could make the games close. It's not a huge difference. Some club teams are very prestigous and get pretty good players that go on to professional leagues.)

Even some schools support their club teams very well that would suprise you like Kentucky, Arizona, Tennessee, Oklahoma, or Georgia. Hockey at Arizona is considered the be the third biggest sport behind basketball and football I believe. Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Tennessee pack their arenas for every game. And the Georgia/Georgia Tech rivalry game for the Thrasher Cup sold out an arena of almost 10,000.

And of course there's the not so suprising ones like Ohio who used to be NCAA, Iowa State, Syracuse, and Penn State who might be going NCAA soon. They're all supported well.

But you go down to Div. 2 or Div. 3 of the ACHA and it gets less serious and is more just an extra-curricular thing for the students.

As for club team jerseys. I like Washington's the most. Oklahoma's are nice and classic too. North Dakota has my favorite current NCAA threads too.

Do you realy want to do this? Here's the box score. As far as RMU, they were in their second year of varsity hockey this past season, and this game was played after one week of practice. PSU had been on the ice for a month (no rules for when club teams can start practicing).

Also, as to your comment that "RMU isn't very good," in fact, they were ranked 52nd out of 59 teams (first year RIT isn't included in the RPI rankings) And this "not very good team," that played it's back-up goalie in the third period (who, incidentially, gave up the GWG), that got a total of 278 minutes of playing time to the starters 1829, out-shot PSU 43-24...

Hey, any one can have a good one-game shot. Look at Holy Cross. Does any one here realy believe that either PSU or Holy Cross could win a seven game series against either RMU or Minnesota? No, but in a one-and-done scenerio, a win is possible...

You can tell me about 10,000 fans at club games all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that they aren't even close to the talent level of D-I hockey players. Sure, there may be a handfull of guys who move on to play low-level minor-pro hockey from club. But, how about Matt Carle from Denver, who's up for the Hobey Baker? He finishes his junior year a couple of weeks ago, and signs with San Jose, and already has played for the Sharks. Name a club player who's done that...

And before you tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, know that I cover college hockey for an award winning radio show here in Bemidji, Minnesota...

Moose Richards

Sports Director, KBUN-AM

Co-host, The Hockey Show

Minnesota Broadcasters Association "Media Best Award - Sports"

Hey, Moose, I like the look of the Bemidji State women's uniforms.

My question, though, is does Bemidji really want to upplay the name Beavers for women's teams?

Back when I was young, I once dated a woman who played basketball for Minot State, also called the Beavers. They wore warmups that had "Beavers" written on the fronts, and that woman told me she was so embarassed wearing those warmups. She said the female athletes there got a lot of flack for being called the Beavers.

Hey, Moose, I like the look of the Bemidji State women's uniforms.

My question, though, is does Bemidji really want to upplay the name Beavers for women's teams?

Back when I was young, I once dated a woman who played basketball for Minot State, also called the Beavers. They wore warmups that had "Beavers" written on the fronts, and that woman told me she was so embarassed wearing those warmups. She said the female athletes there got a lot of flack for being called the Beavers.

There's an unofficial policy at the University that the name "Beavers" won't appear on any uniforms in the near future (although the men's hockey team wore throwback's earlier this year)

DSC_0040.jpg

only the logo, or the name Bemidji State... However, I wouldn't count on them changing the nickname anytime soon.

Moose

Archived