New El Pollo Loco logo

LMU

I've never really been a huge fan of El Pollo Loco. For those who are Spanish-challenged, the translation is "the crazy chicken."

What I've not been able to understand is that a restaurant called The Crazy Chicken is a viable business, yet a similarly named problem, Mad Cow disease, prevents us from trading beef in island Asian nations.

On a related note, why do mexican restaurants that feature Carnitas (pork) always advertise with freakishly happy-looking cartoon pigs?

I'm originally from El Paso, Texas. I love good mexican food. But, do we really have to make food out to be such a questionable experience?

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

On a related note, why do mexican restaurants that feature Carnitas (pork) always advertise with freakishly happy-looking cartoon pigs?

I was thinking the same exact thing driving through Long Beach yesterday. Then again, I've thought the same thing to every restaurant that has its meat of choice as a mascot. Not sure how compelled you are to eat at a place where the main course is encouraging you to eat itself.

VmWIn6B.png

I was thinking the same exact thing driving through Long Beach yesterday. Then again, I've thought the same thing to every restaurant that has its meat of choice as a mascot. Not sure how compelled you are to eat at a place where the main course is encouraging you to eat itself.

That's what makes the Chick-fil-a campaign so great, imo. Cows telling you to eat chicken.

I don't have a problem with Crazy Chicken, I do have somewhat of a problem with small portions and rediculous prices. Then again I've had way too much free El Pollo Loco as I know one of the people who got in on the deal back when it began... I think he has last I heard 20 franchises... anyway it's good food but when you get it all the time it becomes... eh food. As far as the logo goes, they went from a decent logo to a crappy logo.

I think it's definitely a downgrade. I've never heard of this establishment (must be west-coast oriented) but the old logo is definitely better. The new one is too mid-90's-ish. Looks like they Pizza Hutted it...

pizzahut.gif200px-Pizza_Hut_Logo.jpg

Old one was definitely better there, too. Simple and iconic to all complicated, with that damn swooshy font.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

2 random thoughts on this topic:

1. I live in the midwest and we have a ton of Rib or BBQ places (Try Jim's if you are ever in Rock Island) that advertise with a happy, smiling pig. We call it the "Eat Me Pig" because he is very very happy for us to eat him. I think Saturday Night Live did a great skit about this several years ago where a chicken talked to us about how he was decapitated and then described how his body was coated, deep fried, mmm mmmm. The logo was the decapitated head, still happy.

2. If you are ever in Miami, try Pollo Tropical, cuban-style chicken. Blows Pollo Loco (and in my mind KFC) off the map. Get some black beans and rice, some plantains and a Pollo Tropical chicken, now that is lunch!!!

Archived