Strange things that happen to pro athletes

Hat Boy

Urbina's not the only one to have family kidnapped in South America, many top soccer players (including Real Madrid's young Brazilian star Robinho) have had that happen. IIRC it was a factor in Robinho moving to Europe too.

the official story is that former Mariner reliever (and one of the great relievers in Japan) Kazuhiro Sasaki injured himself picking up luggage after returning home from a road trip. Never was the same after that.

harperdc.gif

how can you all not mention...

the Greek runner at Athens 2004....was tipped to light the torch, on the day of the opening, claims to have crashed his bike and apparently went to hospital to get out of a drug test.....forget his name and it was bigger than i explained lol

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

how can you all not mention...

the Greek runner at Athens 2004....was tipped to light the torch, on the day of the opening, claims to have crashed his bike and apparently went to hospital to get out of a drug test.....forget his name and it was bigger than i explained lol

Kostis Kenteris (sp?) wasn't it?

And another female Greek athlete as well was involved.

I remember the story of a rugby league player here in Australia whose shower wasn't working so he stood on the soap holder so he could reach reach a little higher to fix it... of course it gave way and he ended up with a season ending knee injury.

Wish I could remember who it was now. He was a very high profile player at the time.

liverpool-1.png

Pete Maravich playing professional basketball without any heart problems, dieing after a heart attack while playing a pickup game in which he wasn't even playing that hard. Another weird thing about this is that Maravich was once quoted as saying "I don't want to only play 10 years and die when I'm 40." That's exactly what happened.

here's what is posted on Wikpedia:

"On January 5, 1988, while playing a pickup basketball game with a group that included Focus on the Family head James Dobson (Maravich was scheduled to appear on Dobson's radio show later that day), he collapsed and died of a heart attack at the age of only 40. An autopsy revealed that his death was due to a previously undiagnosed congenital heart defect; he had been born with only one coronary artery instead of the normal two (he had no right coronary artery). "He'll be remembered always," former LSU head basketball coach Dale Brown said on hearing the news of Maravich's death. "When we see some tousled-haired kid with drooping socks standing on some semi-darkened court or in a yard after everyone else has gone home, he will be shooting a basketball, and we will remember Pete.""

I saw, I came, I left.

I remember a story of Brian Griese being at a party at Terrell Davis' house and he left drunk off his ass and tripped and went head first into TD's driveway.

Griese also injured himself tripping over his dog while walking down a flight of stairs. There's a possibility that he didn't trip over the dog though.

Jake Plummer fracturing his foot while taking off his shoe in the locker room back in the 2003 season.

Archived