Browns officially going with 'throwbacks'

02Rover

Browns Management Suit #1: Hey, Frank? How'd our merch sales on jerseys go last year?

Browns Management Suit #2: Sucked like a turbo Hoover. Got any ideas?

Suit #1: What's everybody else doing to drive up merch sales?

Suit #2: Trying to win ball games.

Suit #1: Besides that.

Suit #2: Well, we could go to 'throwback' jerseys, I guess.

Suit #1: Throwbacks? But we haven't really changed our main jerseys all that much. They're brown with stripes.

Suit #2: Yeah. Of course, we could change the striping pattern a bit and call them "throwbacks."

Suit #1: The fans are dumb, but not quite that dumb. We gotta do something else to the unis.

Suit #2: Grey facemasks?

Suit #1: Well that would look pretty lame. But we can pass it off as a "classic" look. Make sure Lerner says something about it definitely NOT being about branding.

Suit #2: Done. Let's go make sure Winslow didn't ride his motorcycle to offseason workouts.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Browns Management Suit #1: Hey, Frank? How'd our merch sales on jerseys go last year?

Browns Management Suit #2: Sucked like a turbo Hoover. Got any ideas?

Suit #1: What's everybody else doing to drive up merch sales?

Suit #2: Trying to win ball games.

Suit #1: Besides that.

Suit #2: Well, we could go to 'throwback' jerseys, I guess.

Suit #1: Throwbacks? But we haven't really changed our main jerseys all that much. They're brown with stripes.

Suit #2: Yeah. Of course, we could change the striping pattern a bit and call them "throwbacks."

Suit #1: The fans are dumb, but not quite that dumb. We gotta do something else to the unis.

Suit #2: Grey facemasks?

Suit #1: Well that would look pretty lame. But we can pass it off as a "classic" look. Make sure Lerner says something about it definitely NOT being about branding.

Suit #2: Done. Let's go make sure Winslow didn't ride his motorcycle to offseason workouts.

:lol:

Post of the Year, right there.

They should consider wearing brown over brown. There are some great potential marketing tie-ins there. This could be their new team bus:

UPSFront2003large.gif

What can brown do for you?

Turn the ball over and miss the playoffs, that's what.

Also to say "it isn't about branding", that is BS. These changes willl sell jerseys to people that had the old ones and woulkd not have bought new ones. EVERYTHING is about branding.

Exactly... if you say 'this is about the Cleveland Browns,' you're literally talking about the brand. That's the hysterical part to me- a business man in his position talking about branding should at least know what it means.

What I think he means is that "branding" in the modern sense isn't what's behind this move.

It's not about merchandising. It's not about new revenue streams.

I hate to get hung up on simantics, but branding and merchandising are two completely different concepts.

I'm sure you're right when you say what you think he means. I'm just baffled that a guy in his position making decisions that relate to both branding and merchandising doesn't even know what the words mean.

...that, and I'm pissy that he's making their helmets uglier with silly gray facemasks which, I'm sorry, are not neutral enough to go with orange. :P

Archived