Browns officially going with 'throwbacks'

02Rover

that is hilarious coming from a Broncos fan.

Of course, since the Broncos have a uniform that is without a grey facemask, or some other aspect of a dogmatic traditionalist's idea of a uniform, they must be terrible.

Classically shortsighted.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sunday 4/2/06- The Plain Dealer:

"Traditionalists will get their wish this year. Browns owner Randy Lerner is bringing back the team's old duds for next season, including gray face masks, original striping on jersey sleeves and the old, darker shade of brown. The team will wear only white pants and alternate between brown and white jerseys - never orange. 'This is not about branding. This is about the Cleveland Browns,' Lerner said."

Forgive me for being naive, but when he says for "next year", does he mean these changes will be for the upcoming '06 season?

If so, how did they do that if the NFL makes you wait a year to make changes?

Also to say "it isn't about branding", that is BS. These changes willl sell jerseys to people that had the old ones and woulkd not have bought new ones. EVERYTHING is about branding.

Also to say "it isn't about branding", that is BS. These changes willl sell jerseys to people that had the old ones and woulkd not have bought new ones. EVERYTHING is about branding.

Exactly... if you say 'this is about the Cleveland Browns,' you're literally talking about the brand. That's the hysterical part to me- a business man in his position talking about branding should at least know what it means.

All I've got to say about the Browns going back to their traditional-style uniforms is, "It's about time!"

They'll still have the wordmark under the collar. That's not going away.

Maybe this time, they'll get all of the players with the SAME wordmark; not the smorgasbord of wordmarks that they've used in the past...

(and all-Brown pants!)

Okay. I was secretly hoping for orange pants.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

All I've got to say about the Browns going back to their traditional-style uniforms is, "It's about time!"

Maybe this time, they'll get all of the players with the SAME wordmark; not the smorgasbord of wordmarks that they've used in the past...

(and all-Brown pants!)

Brown on Brown?!?!

It's bad enought the Brown's play like turd, no reason to try and look like a giant one!

Exactly... if you say 'this is about the Cleveland Browns,' you're literally talking about the brand. That's the hysterical part to me- a business man in his position talking about branding should at least know what it means.

I think it makes complete sense. they arent doing this to sell more jerseys. most people (those outside of this board) couldnt tell the difference between new and old, so its not likely that they'll run out and buy the new ones. they arent gonna buy new grey facemasks for their helmet phone. i think his point is that its not about rebranding the team as much as it is "debranding" the team.

Good point - this isn't exactly going to make millions of people run out and get new jerseys.

Money isn't driving this. I'm not suggesting that money doesn't play any part in it - of course it does. Every team that makes a change makes it in part to help the merchandising. But if it was about money, there are plenty of other changes he could make that would result in more merchandise sales.

Can't wait to see the new Browns gear. Should be dyno-mite! Hope the old foggies are happy.

We are. I'd much rather see The Browns take the field in throwbacks than what passes for a "updated" NFL uni these days. With any luck The Browns will play the Vikings on the road this season and we'll get to see The Throwbacks vs. All purple Grape Kool-Aid "throw-ups."

Chalk up a victory for class and good taste! GO BROWNS!

BB52Big.jpg

No more ridiculous orange jerseys, that's good. Now if we can only get the Giants to stop wearing those stupid red ones..

WTF????? The Browns orange jerseys are "cool" but i will second the motion with the Giants red ones. They are called Big Blue, not Big Red. if they were, they should use the big red gum package color as their uniform.

(and all-Brown pants!)

Brown on Brown?!?!

It's bad enought the Brown's play like turd, no reason to try and look like a giant one!

LMFAO! :D:D

What I think he means is that "branding" in the modern sense isn't what's behind this move.

It's not about merchandising. It's not about new revenue streams.

One thing I'll say - the only change to the jerseys themselves was the "closing up" of the stripes on the Brown jerseys. That's it. For the pants - they're just going with White pants with the Orange-Brown-Orange striping; although there are TWO DIFFERENT SETS OF THEM. One that has a more "traditional" width, and another pair that has very thin striping. I have NO idea why they need two pairs...it's about as stupid as the Giants' second set of Gray pants.

And then, there's the all-Brown pants. I have no idea if they'll actually wear these, but they certainly don't make these uniforms "traditional".

This is "pseudo" tradition. Forcing Gray facemasks back onto the helmets, and combining them with jerseys that still say "BROWNS" underneath the collar doesn't make them really look like they did in the '50s and '60s. I mean, they're not wearing canvas pants with long jersey sleeves!

And, as I've said, the shade of Brown really didn't change at all...forget what the Browns' P.R. Dept. is saying...

...oh, and for those of you who remember my "Fun With Pantone Textile Colors" game, might want to know this:

The Browns colors are Turkish Coffee, Mandarin Orange and Bright White, with Neutral Gray for the facemasks...

:P

Archived