Missouri State Players Sue to Keep Women's Tennis

WJMorris3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060412/ap_on_...ouri_st_lawsuit

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Four Missouri State women's tennis players are suing the university for cutting their program as part of a sports reduction, contending the move violates Title IX rules.

The lawsuit asks a federal court to order the state's second-largest university to reinstate the women's tennis program and seeks a temporary injunction to keep the sport going after the planned shutdown at the end of this academic year.

Missouri State decided in December to drop five of its 21 sports at the end of the school year, looking to reduce athletics costs it said were growing faster than the university budget. It cut men's indoor and outdoor track, men's cross country and men's and women's tennis.

The lawsuit filed seeks class-action status for all current and future female tennis players. It was filed in U.S. District Court in Springfield by the American Civil Liberties Union in the name of four players who contacted the group.

The university said it is complying with Title IX, the 1972 law that prohibits sex discrimination in any educational program that receives federal funds.

Maybe I'm going to be in the minority.

If all they cut were women's sports, they'd have a legitimate beef. But if they are cutting four men's sports and just one women's sport (which is the counterpart to one of the cut men's sports), how can they claim Title IX violations? The logic does not follow here!

LvZYtbZ.png

Willmorris makes an interesting point.

You other two just make yourselves out to be morons.

They have a point, too.

Title IX does suck. Why should the men be shorted on scholarships because the ladies at the school don't participate? Some schools have to cut certain sports because the chicks simply aren't participating. Is that right?

And you know women just can't ever be satisfied....

And you know women just can't ever be satisfied....

Sounds like a personal problem.

Mine have had no complaints. :D

Anyone know how many sports MSU has? If they have 20 for men and only 8 for women then the percentage is horrible for women even if the ratio of sports being eliminaed seems to favor them.

Mine have had no complaints.

I second that. About me, that is. Women like guys who aren't misogynists.

That being said, Title IX (while a great idea) has some serious flaws that need to be looked into. And this situation at Missouri State is ridiculous. Frankly, in that situation, there's really no ground for complaint (unless the situation suggested by OMMF is accurate).

Anyone know how many sports MSU has?

Why, yes. Yes I do.

Men's:

Baseball

Basketball

Cross Country

Football

Golf

Soccer

Swimming

Tennis

Track and Field

Women's:

Basketball

Cross Country

Field Hockey

Golf

Soccer

Softball

Swimming

Tennis

Track

Volleyball

Sports in italics are set to be cut at the end of this academic year. It will go from 9 men's, 10 women's to 6 men's, 9 women's. I'm counting indoor track and outdoor track as one sport - the AP article counts it as two.

MO State has had several rounds with Title IX before. A pair of women have fought the school at every turn trying to find gender equity. My unpopular opinion: Sometimes they have a point.

I'm intrigued to see how this one turns out. It doesn't seem like the women's tennis players have a leg to stand on. Missouri State cut more men's sports and scholarships. How could that make the school less Title IX compliant than it is now?

I feel bad for all of the athletes who had their sports cut. It's very unfortunate.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Archived