EPL Armband?

officeglenn

I'm watching this afternoon's English Premier League match between Manchester United and Sunderland, and both teams, plus the referees, are wearing black armbands. I wasn't sure about Sunderland for a while because they are wearing their black clash jerseys, but they are there.

Anyone know what these armbands are for? I haven't seen a really good shot of one yet, but I have been able to make out a little symbol on there, with a date underneath. Any idea if this is just for this match today, or will all the teams be wearing them this week?

Never mind ... answered my own question. I found this on premierleague.com:

Saturday 15th April 2006 is the 17th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster.

To mark the occasion, the Premier League has issued all Clubs with specially designed black armbands for players and officials to wear in matches on Friday, Saturday and Sunday the 14th, 15th and 16th April 2006.

All Match Officials will also be wearing the arm bands as will players at Football League clubs.

teams have done that at other times as well - seemingly at random teams will be kitted with black arm bands.

It'll always be for a death related to football or one of the teams playing, not always explained, but for sure not just random.

It'll always be for a death related to football or one of the teams playing, not always explained, but for sure not just random.

I know it's not *truly* random, but like you said, it is for deaths related to the team, and if you're following outside of the UK you may not get all the context.

harperdc.gif

Archived