Northeastern University

Lumbergh

I was just exploring college logos when i ran across a ton of NU logos of the school's husky. I know they use the husky for alot of sports, but how many do u need, or have they used. I see a blurry line in what they're goal is with all the huskies. It reminds me of highschool where your school may have several mascots logos that were clipart or student submissions. Maybe someone can shed some light.

nu.png

Northeastern Alumni here...

You have an amalgamation of current and old Husky marks in your e-mail.

The current marks for the school are as follows:

Northeastern Logos and Marks

The three marks on the far right hand side of the initial post are the most "current". The one with the red background is an extract of a fullbody Husky standing in the middle of the "N".

As the Equipment Manager for Northeastern, I can tell you that the three logos on the right are three that we currently use. The decals on our football and hockey helmets are what we refer to as the split N. The red is on the left becuase red is our primary color.

The N with the Husky is what we use on some apparel for men's basketball and men's ice hockey. Our baseball team had that logo on their hats the last two seasons. We are now using the split N on those. They also use the husky N on thier apparel as well.

The husky over the city skyline is what you will find on any correspondence from the athletic deaprtment.

In trying to assist our coaching staffs with what to do about their uniforms, we primarily use the split N to identify the university's athletic teams. We also have several other logos in our set that we could possibly use.

FYI, our colors are red and black. We use white as an accent color. If any of ya'll have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

dodgers-1.png

as a part-time graphic design lecturer at northeastern, i can tell you that northeastern's visual arts department were mortified by the rebranding of the northeastern athletic marks last year.

the split N logo is nice (a nod to traditional collegiate marks), but the N with the husky through it is awful, and the boston skyline logo is probably the worst logo out there. and how could i fail to mention the typeface... could there have been a worse typeface chosen?

I'm an NU alum, why don't you put a concept together and post it here or over at www.dieharddogs.com.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the marks either, so maybe if you come up with something, the folks in Cabot may listen. I do like the fact that the Boston Skyline is involved, however. I agree that the typeface isn't visually appealing at all and it makes our uniforms hard to read.

1. people in cabot will not listen. they have never reached out to their own talent, and instead have "invested" millions in outsourcing in ad campaings and branding.

2. the boston skyline would be clever if anyone outside of new england knew what it was. not to mention that the dog "leaping" over the skyline is lame, and doesnt look like it's leaping, but as if it tripped over the zakim bridge.

They'll listen to me.

Put together a concept, get some C&C from the folks here, and if you'd like me to share it with the AD, or people in Sports Marketing, I'd be happy to do so.

I've been involved with the school since the 1980s and can get something in front of the AD relatively easily.

the split N logo is nice (a nod to traditional collegiate marks), but the N with the husky through it is awful, and the boston skyline logo is probably the worst logo out there. and how could i fail to mention the typeface... could there have been a worse typeface chosen?

Is that a proprietary font, similar to Boston College's font?

It's not the most legible font, and the only team I've noticed that wears its numbers is the hockey team (don't get me started on the constant uniform changes either).

I liked the look when the hockey Huskies used Colossalis, even with upper & lowercase nameplates. It was pretty unique for the area (the only other team I've seen like it is the Orlando SolarBears).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I believe it is a proprietary font.

I believe the new basketball Uniforms for the 06-07 season will likely have this font as well. I dont' like it as it's real hard to read.

The baseball team has black and red "alternate" jerseys with "HUSKIES" across the front in the new font as well.

The "latest new" (I agree that we change hockey uniforms like my kids change their diapers) men's hockey jersey uses the "new font? with the "NORTHEASTERN" across the front is real hard to read, but it's a nice style.

I really liked the upper/lowercase nameplates on the hockey uniforms back in the day.

The red uni with the "split N" is the primary road uniform.

They ditched the black uni with the "Dog inside the N" logo a couple of years ago, and the alternate is now the red with "NORTHEASTERN" across the front.

any of you NU fans ever check out www.dieharddogs.com?

I can't say that I'm a fan of NU (I don't hate the school, I just don't follow much), although I will probably start paying more attention when my nephew starts going there in the fall.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Just to answer a few questions:

1) Yes the black basketball unis were found.

2) I am still at NU

3) The baseball team has four possible uniform combos. They have a white uni with maroon stripes with the word Huskies in circus, the same font that's on the Red Sox's unis. The road greys have an interlocking NU in the same style. The reds were introduced last season, and the blacks this. On those jerseys, the word Huskies is in the new athletic font. Also the numbers and names are in the same style. The font sets, with the exception of the berthold city, were custom done.

4) We used a little known design firm to design the new logos and fonts;however, I can't remember the name.

5) I'm wondering why some don't like the interlocking N with the Husky. That's vy far my favorite and I wish that we could put it on the helmets.

If there are any other questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me. Mahalo.

dodgers-1.png

We used a little known design firm to design the new logos and fonts;however, I can't remember the name.

Northeastern's current identity package was created by Boston-based Neohatch, Inc. In addition to their work for Northeastern University, Neohatch was responsible for creating the identity packages for the North Shore Spirit (Can-Am Association) and former heavyweight champion John Ruiz (among other clients). The full service sports and marketing agency was founded by Thomas Duane in New York City in 1998. It relocated to Boston in 2002.

Prior to founding Neohatch, Mr. Duane was one of the founding partners in SME Design. During Mr. Duane's tenure with SME, the company was responsible for creating/updating the identity packages of numerous professional and collegiate clients, including:

Baltimore Orioles

Detroit Tigers

Oakland A's

Seattle Mariners

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

Augusta Green Jackets

Everett Aqua Sox

Frederick Keys

Tidewater Tides

Ottawa Lynx

Carolina Panthers