St. John's Up For A Change

impulsive106

For New Yorkers St. Johns is less modern (like the brand Jordan stuff) and more traditional like the old Mullin jersey below.

56461-s.jpg

I'm a New Yorker (well, not currently) and while the retros are all well and good, the current style as worn by erick barkley, omar cook and marcus hatten up to today with 'showtime' hill are the ones for me. they are sleek and bold.

that being said, I just want them to return to the Big East Tournament, to the N.I.T., baby steps, baby steps.

I like the current look too. I just wish the shoulders weren't as wide. But those throwbacks are just money.

more like yen, i dont like them

For New Yorkers St. Johns is less modern (like the brand Jordan stuff) and more traditional like the old Mullin jersey below.

56461-s.jpg

I'm a New Yorker (well, not currently) and while the retros are all well and good, the current style as worn by erick barkley, omar cook and marcus hatten up to today with 'showtime' hill are the ones for me. they are sleek and bold.

that being said, I just want them to return to the Big East Tournament, to the N.I.T., baby steps, baby steps.

I like the current look too. I just wish the shoulders weren't as wide. But those throwbacks are just money.

Douche bag . . . I saw your first post and your last one adds nothing to the discussion.

I think one of the reasons I like the retro uniforms is that in this case it fits. NYC has a rich tradition of CYO basketball and these uniforms remind me of those old unforms that they had that were 20 years old, polyesther(spelling?) and three sizes two small.

I always thought as a kid that St. John's was the pinnacle for CYO players. Especially since a lot of my cousins played CYO at St. Thomas' in Brooklyn with Chris Mullin.

56461-s.jpg

Douche bag . . . I saw your first post and your last one adds nothing to the discussion.

Easy there bud, i'm not a big fan of the retro thing, i'm a modernest. I like the Lopez era 94 unis, verry diffeent and one of a kind, i wish they had kept that logo set too

"STJ" makes no more sense for St. John's than it does for St. Joe's, and doesn't alleviate the confusion much.

Why not? "STL" makes perfect sense for St. Louis....

I'm not disagreeing that "STJ" doesn't make sense for St. John's. But it's not some sort of improvement. Whether they go by "SJU" or "STJ", there's still going to be confusion between St. John's and St. Joseph's (who also go by SJU or STJ, and who have cap monograms involving the same letters in a slightly different arrangement), two small Northeastern Catholic schools best known for basketball, who wear red (or maroon) and play a few other sports like baseball. Other "Saint" schools go with both acronyms: I've seen St. Louis as "SLU" and "STL", St. Bonaventure as "STB" and "SBU" (and "BONA", regrettably), and so on.

Sure, it's perfectly sensible, but it's a lateral move in terms of making one school's identity distinct from another. As such, I'm not enthralled with it. *shrugs*

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

56461-s.jpg

Easy there bud, i'm not a big fan of the retro thing, i'm a modernest. I like the Lopez era 94 unis, verry diffeent and one of a kind, i wish they had kept that logo set too

You prefer the Lopez-era monstrosities over the classic Mullin ones?

:therock:

Not sure about your tastes, dude. But to each his own.

"STJ" makes no more sense for St. John's than it does for St. Joe's, and doesn't alleviate the confusion much.

Why not? "STL" makes perfect sense for St. Louis....

I'm not disagreeing that "STJ" doesn't make sense for St. John's. But it's not some sort of improvement. Whether they go by "SJU" or "STJ", there's still going to be confusion between St. John's and St. Joseph's (who also go by SJU or STJ, and who have cap monograms involving the same letters in a slightly different arrangement), two small Northeastern Catholic schools best known for basketball, who wear red (or maroon) and play a few other sports like baseball. Other "Saint" schools go with both acronyms: I've seen St. Louis as "SLU" and "STL", St. Bonaventure as "STB" and "SBU" (and "BONA", regrettably), and so on.

Sure, it's perfectly sensible, but it's a lateral move in terms of making one school's identity distinct from another. As such, I'm not enthralled with it. *shrugs*

Wow, brother. All those quintuple negatives in your first sentence confuse me. :P I'm reading into your post that "STJ" by itself makes sense for St. John's, but could be confused with other "St. J____" schools.

That makes sense to me, but I guess I don't really care. After all, the Mets and Yankees both use an interlocking "NY," the Brooklyn Dodgers and Boston Red Sox used similar "B" logos, and the Dodgers and Angels have both used interlocking "LA"s, and nobody really gets them confused.

If St. John's stakes enough of a public claim on the "STJ" logo, then they'll be identified with it and there'll be no serious confusion.

Archived