Alternate Jerseys

jhans203

According to "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century," there could have been alternates as early as 1900. The Boston Nationals had both a single Old English red B and a block "BOSTON" for the home whites.

Absolutely. Baseball's had alternates back to the very early days.

And, the Detroit Lions wore Scarlet and Black alt jerseys as far back as 1949 as well.

The most obvious example of a baseball alternate in the early days was the New York Giants' black jerseys in the 1905 World Series. John McGraw dressed his team in black jerseys with a white "NY" across the chest for good luck. He brought the black jerseys out again in the 1911 series, but it didn't work as the Giants lost to the Philadelphia A's in the series and the black jerseys were packed away until they were revived as a road color in San Francisco in the late 70's.

But I think the Kansas City A's alternated between gold and white at home. I may be wrong, though.

Quite possibly, winghaz...

I never saw a game at old Municipal Stadium, and "Game of the Week" never seemed to feature the A's.. :)

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

I think the Rangers wore the "Statue of Liberty" jersey first in 1995, before the other teams debuted theirs.

the rangers statue of liberty jerseys debuted during the 96-97 season, the others debuted right after the 95-96 season's all-star game. The Rangers had the white statue of liberty jerseys during the 98-99 season and they were never seen again. The only of those First wave of modern third jerseys still in use is the Bruins' Pooh Bear jerseys. The Ducks, Kings, and Canucks jerseys didn't make it past the first season. The Ducks jerseys in particular are the most rediculous jerseys ever worn in the NHL and are never seen anywhere, not even unlockable in video games. I have been looking for one for years and have never seen one for sale, it would be a great collectors item.

95-96Kariyafrt.jpg

Just wanted to post this link, which has a picture of all the NHL alts from the 95-96 jerseys. Seeing the Great One in that jersey, its no wonder he got out of LA.

Worst Alternate Jerseys

I always liked those Ducks and Coyotes jerseys. I certainly liked those jerseys more than the decapitated dog look they have now.

However, these are just heinous.

lightning.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I didn't realize those Pacers gold jerseys were alternates, I assumed they were the primary homes. I think I have some Clark Kellogg and Herb Williams basketball cards with those?

How about those lime green early 70's Atlanta Hawks? Didnt' they have green, blue, and white versions?

Archived