Topps/Surf Baseball card books

spyboy1

Back in the day, 1987 & 1988, there were these really nifty books given away at major league baseball games called "Surf Baseball Card Books", sponsored by Surf detergent.

Each team had their own book which pictured all the Topps baseball cards ever made for that franchise since 1952 when Topps got into the MLB card business and a small write-up of each season.

Surf87Cubs.jpg

In trying to collect one of each, I've run into a small problem. I cannot confirm if they ever made them for Montreal and Toronto.

Since there are a large number of Canadians on the board :flagcanada: I thought I would ask if anyone can confirm if the two Canadian franchises were ever part of this stadium giveaway program? Maybe Surf wasn't sold in Canada then, so they weren't motivated to make them for those two teams.

I could see that Toronto may not have been around long enough after just 10 years to perhaps justify a book, but with the Expos being around since 1969, time doesn't seem to be an issue in this case.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I remember them, but not enough to fill in any details for you.

However, if there's a book for the Mariners (who came into existence the same time as the Blue Jays), there's plenty of time to create one for Toronto.

I assume you've checked ebay? I'll try to remember to look at a baseball card site that I have bookmarked at home tonight.

It's where I sit.

There is a confirmed Mariner's book out there. I've checked on ebay for the Blue Jays and Expos, but the completed listings only go back two weeks, so none have shown up in that time period, but you cannot rule them out based on just that.

It would be a little odd for them to show up in a department store since they were a stadium giveaway item. They would be considered second hand or used. Perhaps something like a Dollar Store that sells leftover stock could carry somthing like that, but it really depends on what kind of Department Store you are talking about.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I know what you're talking about, but I couldn't tell you if they made these books for the Canadian MLB teams. My aunt and uncle moved out of Montreal before '88. Somewhere in our house sits my Yankees and Phillies Surf books - until we get some bookshelves built, they're unaccounted for and presumed boxed.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived