My new Fantasy League Logo

marqdesign

I wanted to redesign my previous logo for the Fantasy league I run. I wanted to keep it simple. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If I can change something, like text, colors, anything...C+C appreciated.

DFLLOGO-1.gif

I have edited the pic to a smaller size (per request of ballwonk)

Couple of things jump to mind:

1. Show us a smaller version of this logo. A league logo like this is usually gonna be pretty small. You sometimes see fantasy leagues that put their logos on polo shirts or ballcaps or whatnot, and the logos are no more than a couple inches tall. I can't say for sure, but I suspect that the "Detroit Fantasy" text is too thin to be very readable at the smaller scale you might actually use the logo.

2. My very first thought was, "Look, Nike!" That is one big swoosh on the right side.

3. The black shadow completely flattens the white football. I'd get rid of the black drop shadow completely. Your Nike swoosh is supposed to be shading on the ball, right? The reason it looks like a Nike swoosh and not like shading is because the black shadow makes the white shapes into flat planes, and a flat plane would not have shading that looks like a Nike swoosh. A three-dimensional football might, but a three-dimensional football would not have a drop shadow like what you're using. Try to think of the football as a single shape that includes the negative space between and around the white parts.

20082614447.png

thDFLLOGO2.gif

Is this what you were talkin about? I nixed the drop shadow completely, and made the 'swoosh' shadow black. It looked decent with gradients on it, but I know how anal people get with gradients on this board. And the text is still readable at a smaller size as well.

One of the golden rules of typography you learn in any typography class is never to set horizontal letters to be read vertically. Turn the baseline of the text vertical instead. They type you've used is too delicate as well. It is difficult to read, especially at small sizes. Rotating the baseline will allow you to use a larger type size. your football is a little loose. Tighten it up if that is the look you intended.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

DFLLOGO3.gif

I can't quite put my finger on why, but you've taken this concept from "meh" to "sweet" in my book.

Some things I'd consider playing around with (I don't know if they'd be improvements, but they might be, so worth trying to see what you think of them):

1. Take that green seam on the left side of the football and turn it blue or gray; see if that makes the football a stronger element of the logo.

2. The swooshy shading is still a little smooth, almost metallic, for my taste. Might want to try a different "pattern" to make it look more like shading. This link shows how the San Francisco Giants use a fake screen effect that might really work for your football. Alternately, maybe the problem I'm seeing is related to how the shading doesn't touch the right edge of the football, making it look more like a reflection on a metal sculpture than the shaded part of a leather football. Maybe the shading should run to edge. I dunno; anyway that's the part of the logo I'd spend some time playing around with.

Still, this has become a very sharp logo. Nicely done.

20082614447.png

DFLLOGO3.gif

I took your advice with the lettering, and darkend the blu, but changed the red to green. Is it better, or should it be red?

I saw some potential in the first one, but this is amazing! Very well done.

DFLLOGO3.gif

I took your advice with the lettering, and darkend the blu, but changed the red to green. Is it better, or should it be red?

That looks good, good job man.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

DFLLOGO4.gif

Tightend the shadow to follow edge..... better? I think its close to done, I like the green more than the red just to break it away from the nba-ish logo....

Even better! Brilliantly executed.

Archived