York names its Atlantic league team

Dilbert

I'm still curious where they're gonna put a stadium in the :censored: hole(unless there actually is a nice part that I've yet to discover) that is York, PA. It'll be kinda nice to see a rivalry(Assuming it happens) between the Barnstormers(Lancaster...my hometown) and the Revolution.

As far as the name goes, I don't really like it. It's still better than the Barnstormers I guess.

How can you not like Barnstormers, Gordo? Baseball and Amish all in one.

As for York, I would have preferred White Roses, but at least they are giving tradition some kind of nod with a sleeve patch. Revolution is too, well, singular (?) for my taste.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm still curious where they're gonna put a stadium in the :censored: hole(unless there actually is a nice part that I've yet to discover) that is York, PA. It'll be kinda nice to see a rivalry(Assuming it happens) between the Barnstormers(Lancaster...my hometown) and the Revolution.

As far as the name goes, I don't really like it. It's still better than the Barnstormers I guess.

It's funny I was just driving around the stadium site today. And yes the area that it is in now is quite :censored:ty. The stadium will be in the black box area below.

yorkstadium.png

But it is only a few blocks away from the "downtown" which is being rehabbed successfully and I see this area doing the same. There is a great Irish bar called Harp & Fiddle about 5 blocks away.

IMHO I would bet that both Lancaster and York and maybe Camden will soon be members of the NY Penn league to put a few teams closer to Aberdeen. As of now the closest are 3 hours or so away.

Oh and I voted for White Roses too. But I really wanted them to be the Peppermint Patties.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

How can you not like Barnstormers, Gordo? Baseball and Amish all in one.

As for York, I would have preferred White Roses, but at least they are giving tradition some kind of nod with a sleeve patch. Revolution is too, well, singular (?) for my taste.

I was hoping for the Lancaster Red Roses to make a return. I just did a wikipedia search on the team name and it makes slightly more sense, but I still dislike it. I always though t "barnstorming" was doing tricks in an airplane, although apparently it is also "to travel around an area appearing in exhibition sports events, especially baseball games".

I think the whole farm issue could've been dealt with better for the team identity...something along the lines of cattle or hell, even the Amish. I'd even go for returning to the Lancaster Chicks or Lancatser Ironsides(very cool name IMO).

Hopefully they do revamp York though. Although I hate the city with a passion, if it were cleaned up, I wouldn't be opposed to catch a game there. We've got a nice stadium here in Lancaster(supposedly the best in the Atlantic League), so I'm anxious to see how York's new stadium will stack up.

I'm definitely with you about the singular/abstract name. I'm not a fan of those types (Wild, Heat, Crush etc.)

I know this is a couple days later, but I'm curious as to something...

The Atlantic League currently stands at eight teams -- Camden, Newark, Somerset, Atlantic City, Lancaster, Long Island, Bridgeport, and the Road Warriors.

They've already named two teams for next year now, Southern Maryland and now York.

I thought they were going to get rid of the Road Warriors after this year? I mean, what happens to them now? Do they add yet another team? Or will they find a home for them? I would imagine that they can't get rid of them now and play with nine next year, unless another team is planning to leave (like Nashua did this year).

philly.png

Archived