Lilly vs. Gibbons

zer0dotcom

Gibbons won't be going anywhere. i remember seeing somewhere that Ricciardi and Gibbons have been buddies for 20 odd years. i would like to see him be fired too and get someone with experience in there.

If he stays i think alot of players on the team wont re-sign or ask to be traded.

Did anyone see or hear about the punch that Lilly gave to Gibbons down in the bench. For proof, Gibbons came up with the trainer with a towel on his mouth.

If anyone could read lips did anyone see the fowel language Gibbons gave to Lilly.

Come on, he is stays no one will come to Toronto after hearing this, they probally wont want to play for him.

4kv29i.jpg

Come on, he is stays no one will come to Toronto after hearing this, they probally wont want to play for him.

That's kind of what I was thinking. One player has a problem with the manager, and free agents next year might brush it of. TWO players have a problem with the manager, and free agents for next year might think twice about coming to play for him.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I hope that Gibbons gets fired at the end of the season, and someone like Dusty Baker takes over. That is, if Baker decides not to return to the Cubs or gets fired.

:blink:

You are either a cubs fan, or you hate the Jays. Neverrrrrrrrrrrr hope a Dusty Baker take over for any team.

I hope that Gibbons gets fired at the end of the season, and someone like Dusty Baker takes over. That is, if Baker decides not to return to the Cubs or gets fired.

You are either a cubs fan, or you hate the Jays. Neverrrrrrrrrrrr hope a Dusty Baker take over for any team.

* stirs pot * .... say, is Lou Pinella available? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

* stirs pot * .... say, is Lou Pinella available? ^_^

... or the ghost of Billy Martin?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

1) Why has the dynamic between manager and player deteriorated to the point that the pitcher WOULD refuse to give up the ball?

2) Why would the manager SEEK OUT further confrontation by following the player down the tunnel, instead of giving him time to cool off before dealing with the situation properly?

3) This is a second "fight" situation, both involving Gibbons. Is he the common denominator in the problems with this team?

Granted, I don't follow the Blue Jays, but here are my thoughts:

1. The Blue Jays are fading back in the AL East and Wild Card standings, so there might be a sense of urgency to play perfect baseball, and to manage the game perfectly. Tempers are running short when you're in a situation where you have to win just about every game left. Lilly, given an early 8-run lead, wanted to keep pitching to get the win. Gibbons, trying to guide his team to victory, did what he thought was best. I base this on the heat of the moment.

2. Lilly did the ultimate no-no by showing up his manager, in view of everybody. Gibbons has been around the game longer than Lilly has. Lilly deserved whatever he got in the tunnel. Again, I don't follow Toronto, but it looks like Gibbons is a no-nonsense, intense manager. He might be losing the clubhouse, but he's showing the team that he hasn't quit on the season. I guess this kind of answers #3, though I much prefer following the game of baseball, and not the dramas that take place in the clubhouse.

I would have loved to have heard what they said ont he mound. After seeing a replay, it almost looked like Lilly said "I'm trying to win the game." So maybe something was said in a team meeting that rubbed him the wrong way, could be he was upset by having his lead vanish, could be anything.

I think the onus lies on both of them for what happened. After what Shea said, it's a real downer to see this on the field, it confirms so much about what was said. John said that things have been smoothed over, so I guess all there is left is to hope that the team plays well down the stretch.

The playoffs may be out of reach, but the BoSox are in reach, I'd be extremely happy with a 2nd place finish.

Archived