Lilly vs. Gibbons

zer0dotcom

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=174936&hubname=

Well, I guess Ted took up the offer that Shea turned down. I wonder what John Gibbons said to him ont he mound that got him to react that way, and why John would do something as stupid as follow him right into the dugout?

I hate feeling that what Shea Hillenbrand was right, and that this team is doomed, after we had some much hope of actually contending this season

My friend was at this game so I'm waiting anxiously to hear about it from his POV. I have gotta say, I'm backin Lilly on this. It seems like Gibbons has issues with his temper and I'm sure we'll see him out of a Toronto uni before Wells or Lilly. This is insanity...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The Hillenbrand thing was the first thing that I thought of. I was in Toronto actually when all of that happened, and I thought it was absurd that Gibbons would have actually challenged Hillenbrand to fight him. Now, it seems like Gibbons is the one out of line.

I don't know what you guys think of him up there, or if you like him or whatnot, but I think after this tonight, he's gotta go. The team isn't winning like it should and they're not playing well, and it's only natural that he'll get the can. Whether or not Ricciardi is the one at fault for the on-field product is neither here nor there; the Jays need a leader to help them out and Gibbons seems like he's far from it.

I was actually at this game, I just got home. I was sitting a couple rows behiend the A's dugout, so I had a good view about it. When Gibbons was trying to get Lilly out of the game, Ted refused to give up the ball, finally when he did, some words were exchanged. Lilly went to the bench wiped his face with a towel, and walked through the tunnel calmly. A couple moments later when Gibbons had given the ball to Frasor, he followed Lilly down the tunnel, and a couple seconds after that the entire Jays bench ran down the tunnel. From my posistion I couldn't see anything, and according to both Lilly and Gibbons, no one was hit, which is contrary to a report from a photographer who said that Gibbons had a bloodied nose.

I guess we'll have to wait to see for sure what happened.

1zqy8ok.gif

Wow, the Jays seemed to be heading in the right direction in July. They had that big series against the Yankees and it looked like they could get back in the race. That said it looks like Gibbons has lost this team. It's never a good sign when a manager/coach challenges a player to a fight. Now it appears he at least tried to actually fight another player. Lilly was wrong to mouth off at Gibbons for pulling him out he has every right to he blew an 8 run lead but what Gibbons apparently tried to do in the tunnel is unexcusible. Both will be gone next year if not sooner. With the right manager the Blue Jays can be serious contenders next year.

Yeah, I actually didn't believe the Hillenbrand "Challenged me to a fight" thing... but now... I don't know. Kind of seems like Gibbons is the one with the problem, here. Here I was blaming Shea for being the a-hole, but it looks like he might have been right. Definitely, as someone said before, Ted Lilly is NOT a hot-head! What could have provoked him to get so riled, I have no idea. I mean, I'm sure he was irritable, having just given up 7 runs in one inning, but I still think there had to be something pretty stupid that Gibbons said to rile Lilly up like that.

It really looked like they were going to turn this thing around at a couple of points in the past month... looked like they MIGHT have a shot at making up some ground. But the more I watch, the more it seems like Gibbons (and probably even JP Ricchardi) have COMPLETELY lost this team.

The ship has sunk.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Weather you like this kind of stuff or not, i'm on the side of the coach. Lilly well was being Lilly, about to blow another game for the Blue Jays. He had an 8-0 lead, and was pull when it was what 8-6. What was Lilly's game plan there? Lull the A's into a false sense of security in blowing an 8 run lead. Then I'll start pitching. Yeah OK? :wacko: Gibbons did the right thing in pulling Lilly. Lilly handled it poorly and got in the face of Gibbons. Which he should never have done!!!!

We don't know what was said on the mound and don't know how things started in tunnel. So we can't put blame on Gibbons or Lilly. We don't know who swung first, my feeling is Lilly because of the way he acted after being pulled and didn't like it. Again we don't know!

IMO, Gibbons had every right to go and yell at Lilly for Lilly's actions on the mound. After all he is a player and are players not suppose to listen to the coach? Let me answer that for you....YES THEY ARE!!! Problem is that most pro athlete's are paid more than the coachs and don't care to be put in there place. Sometimes player even deserve an ass-kicking.

Weather you like this kind of stuff or not, i'm on the side of the coach. Lilly well was being Lilly, about to blow another game for the Blue Jays. He had an 8-0 lead, and was pull when it was what 8-6. What was Lilly's game plan there? Lull the A's into a false sense of security in blowing an 8 run lead. Then I'll start pitching. Yeah OK? :wacko: Gibbons did the right thing in pulling Lilly. Lilly handled it poorly and got in the face of Gibbons. Which he should never have done!!!!

We don't know what was said on the mound and don't know how things started in tunnel. So we can't put blame on Gibbons or Lilly. We don't know who swung first, my feeling is Lilly because of the way he acted after being pulled and didn't like it. Again we don't know!

IMO, Gibbons had every right to go and yell at Lilly for Lilly's actions on the mound. After all he is a player and are players not suppose to listen to the coach? Let me answer that for you....YES THEY ARE!!! Problem is that most pro athlete's are paid more than the coachs and don't care to be put in there place. Sometimes player even deserve an ass-kicking.

No doubt he had the right to pull Lilly in that situation. You have to try to salvage the game when it looks like Lilly is flushing it down the toilet. And no doubt Lilly was in the wrong by refusing to give up the ball. My problems are this...

1) Why has the dynamic between manager and player deteriorated to the point that the pitcher WOULD refuse to give up the ball?

2) Why would the manager SEEK OUT further confrontation by following the player down the tunnel, instead of giving him time to cool off before dealing with the situation properly?

3) This is a second "fight" situation, both involving Gibbons. Is he the common denominator in the problems with this team?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

They both choked on this one. You don't disrespect your manager by refusing to give up the ball after you've just given up 6 runs. And you don't disrespect your player by chasing him down the tunnel afterwards or challenging any of your players to a fight.

I'd be surprised if either of them were back next year.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived