2003-2004 nba identity changes

TruColor

This, from the NBA Identity Assurance Update for the 2003-2004 season:

Team Updates:

¨       The Detroit Pistons have a new secondary logo (the previous "DP" secondary logo is no longer being used). The Toronto Raptors (TR) and the Sacramento Kings (crown) also have new secondary logos.  

¨       The Toronto Raptors would like to drive more focus toward their secondary logo.  Please consider this when developing new merchandise.

¨       The Utah Jazz are no longer using the snowflake secondary logo, except as it appears on the shorts of the team's on-court uniform.  

¨       The Miami Heat have requested that the "MH" secondary logo be used on a limited basis at their request only.  The team prefers their primary and partial logos.

¨       The Charlotte Bobcats, Cleveland Cavaliers, Denver Nuggets and Houston Rockets all have new identities this season.

¨       The Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns and Toronto Raptors have new second road uniforms.  The Chicago Bulls have added their partial logo to the center back neck of their existing second road uniform.

¨       The Portland Trail Blazers have expressed that they would like to incorporate the word "Trail" back into their identity.  For future submissions, please do not use the word "Blazers" alone.

¨       The Minnesota Timberwolves, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Dallas Mavericks have expressed that they would like to use their full team names (i.e., no Cavs, Mavs, Wolves or TWolves).

This is all pretty much stuff we knew already, but I found the "Trail" Blazers thing interesting, and some of the secondary logo designations were not real obvious to mist of us...

¨ The Utah Jazz are no longer using the snowflake secondary logo, except as it appears on the shorts of the team's on-court uniform.

Okay, so in other words, they are no longer using it except that it will appear EVERY TIME THEIR TEAM PLAYS!

Wow.

And in a related story, the Los Angeles Lakers will no longer play in Los Angeles, with the exception of their road games against the Clippers and all of their home games.

Hmm..then what's the primary? Still the updated old logo?

I actually thought that the secondary logo was the primary...

This is probably Dumars' slowly getting rid of the teal uniforms.

I thought the primary was the horsehead/basketball morph - cool logo btw.  

I wish that was on their center court instead of the "PISTONS" over a basketball.

Anyone know what the Raptors' secondary logo looks like?

Actually, the primary logo is still that re-colored horse-head with "Pistons", and the tail pipes.  That morphing horse-head/basketball thing is still an additional secondary.

The new Raptors secondary is the "TR" with the maple leaf.

What reasons, other then re-selling merchandise, do teams change their identity? It seems the new trend is to cash in on potential...With Denver and Cleveland in the NBA, and The Falcons in the NFL, can you think of any other franchises that completely overhauled their image for their new high-impact, marketable player?

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

Archived