New minor league record set

OMMF

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stor...html?from_rss=1

The Sacramento River Cats completed their seventh season Monday with the distinction of leading the Pacific Coast League and all of Minor League Baseball in attendance -- again.

The Triple-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics has led attendance all seven years, team officials announced Wednesday. The River Cats, which didn't make the playoffs, drew 728,227 fans in 71 home openers this year, for an average of 10,257 per night.

The Memphis Redbirds, the Triple-A affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals in the Pacific Coast League, had the second-highest attendance, with 692,426 fans and an average of 9,752 per night.

"The extraordinary fan support that the River Cats have received in Sacramento is unprecedented in the history of Minor League Baseball and the Pacific Coast League," Alan Ledford, River Cats president, general manager and chief operating officer said in a news release. "Leading all of Minor League Baseball in attendance for seven straight years is a feat that we are extremely proud of and we will continue to be creative, innovative and energetic in our efforts to be industry leaders in this regard."

Since Raley Field opened in 2000, the ballclub has attracted 5,581,798 fans, or 11,164 per night, topping 223 Minor League Baseball teams during that span. The River Cats 5 millionth fan walked through Raley Field's gates on May 18. That's believed to be the fastest any Minor League Baseball team has reached that mark.

Why is Memphis in the "Pacific Coast" league?

For the same reason Nashville is...and Iowa...and New Orleans...and Omaha, etc...

There are only two Triple A leagues now, the International League and the PCL. You don't want a disproportionate number of teams in the IL, so geography must be damned at times.

I can speak for the Redbirds; they'll compensate with 10-12 game road trips at times when they need to go out west. They don't go to Tacoma, come right back home, then out to Portland.

Why is Memphis in the "Pacific Coast" league?

I've wondered the same thing, and this could go for Oklahoma, Iowa, New Orleans, Omaha, Nashville, and Round Rock. The only argument out there could be that the 16 teams in the PCL are the westernmost and the 14 teams in the International League are the easternmost.

If I remember correctly, Pacific Coast League is a league that has been around practically forever, and a league name change would sound odd if you're used to the PCL name.

What was the reason that they consolidated AAA and eliminated the American Association. For travel purposes you would think three leagues is better.

I may be off here, but I think it has something to do with trying to be more "Major League". Part of that is having a AAA World Series, which would be tough to do with three league champions.

What was the reason that they consolidated AAA and eliminated the American Association. For travel purposes you would think three leagues is better.

I may be off here, but I think it has something to do with trying to be more "Major League". Part of that is having a AAA World Series, which would be tough to do with three league champions.

yet, they;ve been split into 2 leagues for a while now and this year is the first time both the champs of the PCL and IL will mee in the postseason.

yet, they;ve been split into 2 leagues for a while now and this year is the first time both the champs of the PCL and IL will mee in the postseason.

Not true. The Champions of the IL and the PCL met in the "Triple-A World Series" in Las Vegas from 1998 through 2000. More information here.

Archived