Hells Bells

NJTank

Rollie Fingers and Hoyt Wilhelm are also in the Hall. Though Hoyt was a starter half his career.

For the record Lee Msith and Goose Gossage shoudl be in teh Hall in my book.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Wait, Goose Gossage isn't in the Hall? What'na hell? I could've sworn he had be in there.

Random side note: I have an auto'd card of Lee Smith. I wrote to the Angels back in like 95 or 96, asking for Tim Salmon to sign my card, and they sent me a signed card of Lee Smith(it actually probably is a facsimile signature...hell, I don't even know where it is).

...I never got my Tim Salmon card back though :cursing: But I do have a California Angels 1995 pocket schedule :D

No he is not. The only big pitch Trevor Hoffman threw Scott Brosius hit 400 plus feet. He hasn't had the effect on the game the way Sutter had with the split finger, and he doesn't have the awards that Ekersley had with a Cy Young and MVP. His position is a specialized one (closer) to where he would basically have to be the best of his era and he by far isn't, that goes to Mariano Rivera. For a person playing a position that is built by pressure he doesn't have those big saves. Finally considering the fact that it took Sutter a long time to get in, Goose Goassage isn't in the hall, and the guy he just passed to break the record, Lee Smith, isn't in I think he ultimately does not get in. He will be compared to Mariano Rivera and he falls short.

So unless the Padres get into the playoffs and go on a run to where they win the World Series and Hoffman is lights out he is not going to get into the Hall of Fame.

Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman both average roughly 37-38 saves a year. But consider that Mariano Rivera has played for two less years approximately and assume that this record will not last very long. It all comes down to who has the longer career.

EDIT: I was thinking a little more about this and I thought in 14-16 years (give or take a few injuries) if he keeps pitching the way he was that Jonathan Papelbon is gonna have a serious chance at this record.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

The last two posts sum it up completely. The Padres need to give Hoffman more postseason opportunities and he needs to be lights out. Rivera was (G7-2001 WS and the G4-2004 ALCS not withstanding). Hoffman holds the record for saves and save percentage. Rivera will most definitely need to top Hoffman before he retires and also continue to be lights out in the playoff opportunities the Yankees will most assuredly get him. I'd personally like to see both of them along with Gossage and Smith find their way into the HoF.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived