Midwest Choke Job

pcgd

And the Cards pull out another win over the Brewers.

The lead sits at 2 games, the magic number at 1.

Pressure's on Houston as they'll have to win out to have a chance. The Cards could eliminate them with a win even still though.

That's the one thing even with all their weaknesses that makes me wonder what they're capable of in the playoffs. Throughout their awful second half...all the losing streaks...they've let their lead crumble a few different times, but in the end, they've been in first for something like 115 straight days...they've played like crap a lot, but whenever the NEED to win, they pull it out. The crappy play doesn't bode well for the playoffs, but the ability to step it up when they've had to does.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back that truck up boys

I'll give you they sucked recently, and I'll give you they're in a weak division, but screw the theory that anyone backs into the playoffs in a 162 game season. How 'bout some credit for doing so well at the beginning of the season so a poor second half wouldn't be completely killer.

The team with the best record pretty much never wins it all, plus the Cards so far have taken care of all the games they've HAD to win, and that bodes farily well for the playoffs.

well it wasnt pretty but the cards are in the post season. all I can say is thank the lord that the Astros didn't pull another miraculous playoff birth out of their a$$es. Im getting tired of seeing that team suck all season and then decide to win in september. Maybe they should try not sucking april through august and actually try to earn a real playoff birth. yes i'm bitter, but it doesnt matter because they are watching the playoffs on TV.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Remember everyone thought the White Sox would suck in the playoffs after being pushed by the Indians so hard last year, so do not count the Cardinals out.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

well it wasnt pretty but the cards are in the post season. all I can say is thank the lord that the Astros didn't pull another miraculous playoff birth out of their a$$es. Im getting tired of seeing that team suck all season and then decide to win in september. Maybe they should try not sucking april through august and actually try to earn a real playoff birth. yes i'm bitter, but it doesnt matter because they are watching the playoffs on TV.

Yes, because a team that won 83 games is the ideal way for real playoff berths to be clinched.....

The Card'nals will be joining the Astros on the couch in a week.

...because nothing says "playoff team" like playing sub .300 ball the last 2 weeks of the season!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

First place in the division says playoff team, so I'll take that. Right now all 8 teams are equal at 0-0.

Amusingly enough, the Padres said the same thing 366 days ago, and look what happened to them. However, your cause isn't lost. I mean, at least Deadspin is picking you to win...

San Diego v. St. Louis: Cardinals in four. Hey, someone had to pick them. If not us, who? Besides, the concussed Jim Edmonds will be replaced by Matt Leinart by game three, and he'll be the spark they need. But who will replace the concussed us?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived