Midwest Choke Job

pcgd

I really don't expect much more out of the Cardinals this year. But their magic number has been sitting on 5 for about a week. Its pretty pathetic, 7 game losing streak I guess that's what you get when your number 2 starter, centerfielder, and shortstop are out injured on an already flawed team.

Unless...they are like the White Sox last year. Almost choke away the lead, then win it all.

Or they've been going through 8 game slumps, and 8 game streaks all year. All they need is an 11 game streak in the playoffs....

Damnit I have hope again...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...i just realized Houston has a 7 game streak of their own. That's making up 7 GAMES in the standings in as many days.

A choke and a pretty impressive accomplishment. Comedy Central has returned...how we missed thee.

Thank god the Bears are 3-0. (Rams 2-1 for most of the other cardinal faithful)

This has just been a horrible spectacle to watch. It's been impossible to stay positive when the team continues to blow late lead after late lead. They've done it too many times over the past week. Tony LaRussa always talks about hitting being contagious, however it also appears that losing is contagious. I have serious doubts that this team is going to make it into the playoffs and it's probably for the better that they don't as it's likely they'll just get wiped out by the Mets in very short order. Much as I'd like to believe that this team can suck it up and make one last furious run like last year's ChiSox, I just don't see a valid comparison. The Sox were certainly healthier and had a better closer than this year's Redbird squad.

To borrow from our fearless leader, it smells like 1969 out there - the beginning of a 14 season skid that was preceded by a playoff upset the year before.

Nonetheless, I'll continue to follow the Birds until the bitter end in the vain hope that they can pull it out.

Wow the Cardinals are pulling a 1964 Phillies this may be one of teh biggest collapses in Baseball History

Not if the 1995 Angels have anything to say about it.

Please don't bring that up, LMU. ^_^

If the Cards blow it, it'll be just about as upsetting as last season, when both the Cards and Angels reached the league championships and lost. With the Angels eliminated last night, I can only hope Edmonds refuels the Cards for the playoffs.

Thank you ever so much for mentioning the Great Seattle Comeback of 1995, LMU. :P Hell, I still have memories of the M's kicking the Angels sorry asses all over the Kingdome in that one game playoff. :)

Back to reality, though. This is scary. If St. Louis holds on, they better pray that Los Angeles gets the wild card and not Philadelphia (LA wins the wild card, the Cards would get the Padres. If the Phils get the Wild Card, the Cards will more then likely get steamrolled by the Mets).

Wow the Cardinals are pulling a 1964 Phillies this may be one of teh biggest collapses in Baseball History

Well the Phils in 64 blew a 7 game lead with 10 games to play

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Thank you ever so much for mentioning the Great Seattle Comeback of 1995, LMU. :P Hell, I still have memories of the M's kicking the Angels sorry asses all over the Kingdome in that one game playoff. :)

Back to reality, though. This is scary. If St. Louis holds on, they better pray that Los Angeles gets the wild card and not Philadelphia (LA wins the wild card, the Cards would get the Padres. If the Phils get the Wild Card, the Cards will more then likely get steamrolled by the Mets).

That '95 choke job by the Angels saved baseball in Seattle.

1997 | 2003

Maybe so, but the Phils were actually playing competition where the Cardinals were not that year. Phils had games with the Reds and Braves, both within 5 of the lead, where the Cards had games with the Mets and Pirates, both under .500. At least this year the schedules are more balanced.

By the way, the numbers are 6 1/2 games with 12 to play.

LvZYtbZ.png

It was awful to watch, but Albert Pujols did his scary good thing and ended the streak last night.

The Cards have been ridiculously up and down all year. When they're on, they're able to beat anyone. When they're off...wow...bad.

I don't give up in my teams anyways, but I hold out for the Cards. One, because they might just get "on", and they could be a tough team in the playoffs, and two, how often do the supposed best teams meet each other in the World Series anymore? Pretty much never.

Both those still pale in comparison to the old '94 MLBPA collapse.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Down 9-1 to the Brewers....

After tonight, Up 1/2 game... three games to go.

Go Braves.

(Although realistically, this team does not deserve to be in the playoffs.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Down 9-1 to the Brewers....

After tonight, Up 1/2 game... three games to go.

Go Braves.

(Although realistically, this team does not deserve to be in the playoffs.)

If the central didn't suck so much they wouldn't even be in this position.

They are so rediculously flawed. Sending a guy like Jason Marquis in any game with any amount of meaning is just stupidity. Even as bad as the bullpen is, a bullpen game is more effective than that never-was.

Ugh. I now know how Cubs fans feel with their bi-annual choke job. I'm sorry I ever judged you.

Archived