MSU Spartans new basketball unis

deliver2david

I wouldn't say "very different" at all. It's just like that one guy awhile back (I won't even try to guess his name because knowing me I'd say someone else and upset them--but you'll all know who I mean) who used the nike "Miami" template for all his college football designs and would just change minor striping and switch off which sleeve he made a different color. At least I will give them credit with UNC that they kept the argyle pattern, and the tribal pattern on Illinois is an apparent homage to the Chief logo, but they're just taking the same template, with the signature swoop stripe on the shoulders and in some cases adding a signature detail. In most cases they really haven't even done that. I'm a firm believer that after the team name and logo, the uniforms are the next thing that gives a team its identity. The oversaturation of Nikefied teams muddies that identity. So I do think they were close. Close enough for a great many of us to notice that they were similar anyway.

And on a personal note, I was annoyed that the new U of I uniforms are navy. Maybe a little because they wore orange when I was there, but moreso because the highest point in the program's history came in orange uniforms. They had a monopoly on orange in the Big Ten, and arguably were the most prominent orange wearing school in the country. It's like if you saw a blank baby blue jersey, you'd think UNC. If you saw orange, most likely you thought of Illinois.

(steps down off the soapbox)

And on a personal note, I was annoyed that the new U of I uniforms are navy. Maybe a little because they wore orange when I was there, but moreso because the highest point in the program's history came in orange uniforms. They had a monopoly on orange in the Big Ten, and arguably were the most prominent orange wearing school in the country. It's like if you saw a blank baby blue jersey, you'd think UNC. If you saw orange, most likely you thought of Illinois.

I hear you. Being at the Final Four in 2005 and seeing the swarms of orange everywhere throughout St. Louis was pretty impressive. Plus it was great that the Illini cheered on the Spartans, while MSU was cheering for them, too. That was really fun except for the whole UNC winning part. Navy? Eh, most of the Big Ten hates the team that wears that color.

Yeah, you're nuts. Or an extremely biased Illinois fan. There's a school in Central New York whose nickname is "Orange." I think they've got the monopoly on that color.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, you're nuts. Or an extremely biased Illinois fan. There's a school in Central New York whose nickname is "Orange." I think they've got the monopoly on that color.

Yeah, I obviously forgot Syracuse. Does that make me "nuts?" Not sure about that. I also was referring to a specific period: the "highest point in the program's history." In 2004-2005, they were high profile. I'm not slighting Syracuse. Either way, you get the damn point.

Wow, another nike template. Fascinating.

Anyways, If I see State in green, I do think Mich. St., so I guess that works.

Why don' t they at least put a spartan profile on their shorts or something to look distinctive. I loathe the whole shoulder thingy because it instantly says nike now. generic blah.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived