Realignment

floydnimrod

With this talk of geography and the MLB.

I just thought I'd post, for my sports marketing project, my NBA realignment, with two expansion teams, St. Louis and Pittsburgh

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic - Boston, Washington, New Jersey, New York

Northeast - Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Toronto, Philadelphia

Central - Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana

Southeast - Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Atlanta

WESTERN CONFERENCE

California - Golden State, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Sacramento

Midwest - Minnesota, New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis

Southwest - Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio, Houston

Pacific - Utah, Portland, Denver, Seattle

The problems I encountered

- I don't think the California Division doesn't sound prefessional

- The Pacific Division, Denver and Utah aren't really on the Pacific

- The Southwest Division is stacked. I think I would change the NBA rules, permitting that the seeding for playoffs goes in the order of best record, with nothing to do with the divisions.

Your Thoughts?

You could try four divisions:

PACIFIC: Lakers, Clippers, Golden State, Sacramento, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas

MIDWEST: Denver, Utah, Dallas, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Houston, Memphis, Minnesota

CENTRAL: Chicago, Milwaukee, Indiana, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Charlotte

ATLANTIC: Boston, NY Knicks, NY Nets, Toronto, Philadelphia, Washington, Miami, Orlando

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

With this talk of geography and the MLB.

I just thought I'd post, for my sports marketing project, my NBA realignment, with two expansion teams, St. Louis and Pittsburgh

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic - Boston, Washington, New Jersey, New York

Northeast - Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Toronto, Philadelphia

Central - Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana

Southeast - Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Atlanta

WESTERN CONFERENCE

California - Golden State, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Sacramento

Midwest - Minnesota, New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis

Southwest - Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio, Houston

Pacific - Utah, Portland, Denver, Seattle

The problems I encountered

- I don't think the California Division doesn't sound prefessional

- The Pacific Division, Denver and Utah aren't really on the Pacific

- The Southwest Division is stacked. I think I would change the NBA rules, permitting that the seeding for playoffs goes in the order of best record, with nothing to do with the divisions.

Your Thoughts?

Just rename the California Division the Pacific Division and the Pacific Division the Northwest Division.

Perhaps scrap the E/W format in favor of an A/N format, like...

AMERICAN CONFERENCE

Eastern - Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh.

Southern - Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Orlando.

Central - Chicago, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee.

Western - Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Seattle.

NATIONAL CONFERENCE

Eastern - New Jersey, Charlotte, Cleveland, Washington.

Southern - Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio.

Central - Denver, Minnesota, St. Louis, Toronto.

Western - Utah, Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers.

Admittedly it has a flaw or two, but under the scenario you propose (i.e., a PGH and STL expansion, neither of which is likely, but I digress), there's not a whole lot of 'wiggle' room.

nav-logo.png

A and N doesn't work because the NBA isn't really the result of two equal leagues merging. You have the Pacers/Nuggets/Spurs/Nets coming over from the ABA, but that's it. Forcing this alignment is too contrived.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When the NFL and AFL merged, the NFL teams became the NFC and the AFL teams became the AFC. They also had some NFL teams join the AFC to even it out.

Anyways, back to your concept. You have Houston in there twice. This is probably how I would rearrange it in my "dream NBA". There would be Pittsburgh and St. Louis expansion teams, and the Sonics will move to Oklahoma City. Also the Nets will move to brooklyn like planned, and the Jazz and Wizards will change their name. All of that is a long shot, but oh well.

Chamberlain Conference

Pacific Division

Los Angeles Lakers

Los Angeles Clippers

Portland Trail Blazers

Sacramento Kings

Golden State Warriors

Phoenix Suns

Utah Rockies

Denver Nuggets

Southern Division

Oklahoma City Sonics

Dallas Mavericks

San Antonio Spurs

Houston Rockets

New Orleans Hornets

Atlanta Hawks

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Jordan Conference

Central Division

Minnesota Timberwolves

Spirit of St. Louis

Milwaukee Bucks

Chicago Bulls

Memphis Grizzlies

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Cleveland Cavaliers

Atlantic Division

Charlotte Bobcats

Washington Bullets

Pittsburgh Pipers

Philadelphia 76ers

Toronto Raptors

Boston Celtics

New York Knicks

Brooklyn Nets

Some good ideas guys, but I'm leaning toward TCR's idea of 4 divisions. I'm sticking with the East/West setup, and Not changing any teams names names or locations. The teams I am bringing in are the Spirits of St. Louis and the Pittsburgh Patriots. For my project, my teams would enter the league in the 08-09 season. I'd have to wait, though, on aligning the divisions because the pending relocation of Seattle to Oklahoma City, even though I don't think it will happen by that time.

How about switchng Boston and Washington and putting Minnesota back in the west and bringing Memphis to the east.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I think the Kings should move to Las Vegas, Clippers back to San Diego, and the Warriors should foregt Golden State and use San francisco or Oakland. For expansion, either Kansas City, St.Louis, Oklahoma City or Baltimore (I'm not sure about Pittsburgh).

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

actually who were the bad boys :therock: ?

If you really don't know, Bad Boys is the nickname given to the late '80s/early '90s Pistons championship teams that had Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Bill Laimbeer and Dennis Rodman. They hated the Bulls and Jordan, and Jordan, Pippen and company felt the same way about them.

After the Bulls finally beat the Pistons in 1991 in the Eastern Finals, all the Pistons (except for Joe Dumars) walked off the court without shaking the Bulls hands. The Pistons felt strongly that Jordan got special calls (something constant in the NBA), and there was even a book "Jordan Rules" with some of this stuff in it.

Also, it is widely believed that Jordan kept Isiah Thomas off the original Dream Team because of their hatred.

I like FNZ's original idea and GreenShoe's idea the best. I think 8 divisions is the way to go, because then everyone has a division race to get excited about, even if the playoff seeding is changed to conference-based instead of division-based. Both of these make much more sense than the current NBA structure, although I think the only way the NBA would change after realigning such a short time ago would be in the case of expansion. Are there any actual expansions on the horizon, or is this just speculation? I was under the impression that the Bobcats would be the last new team for a while...

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived