MLB Labor Agreement

Epiphanic

Major League Baseball announced a new labor agreement effective through 2011. According to MLB.com, some of the highlights are:

• Increased "Luxury Tax" thresholds. $147M in 2007 to $178M in 2011
  • Teams that fail to sign their 1st & 2nd round picks recieve a compensatory pick in the same spot the following draft.
  • Rule 5 draft protection is extended
  • Discussion of testing for HGH
  • No contraction talks

As a fan, I think it's really nice that they reached an agreement so quickly. The new agreement isn't radical, but the potential for expanded drug testing is a big plus.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Ah, that's good news for Tampa Bay Devil Rays fans. :P

Actually the Devil Rays would be safe in a contraction scenario - they have a lease deal that's considered among the most unbreakable in professional sports. The Twins and Expos were alleged contraction candidates in 2002, but nowadays if they had to cut two I'd think the Marlins and Royals would be the ones to go.

Fortunately though, this isn't a concern.

nav-logo.png

Ah, that's good news for Tampa Bay Devil Rays fans. :P

Actually the Devil Rays would be safe in a contraction scenario - they have a lease deal that's considered among the most unbreakable in professional sports. The Twins and Expos were alleged contraction candidates in 2002, but nowadays if they had to cut two I'd think the Marlins and Royals would be the ones to go.

Fortunately though, this isn't a concern.

The Royals just had renovations to Kauffman Stadium approved earlier this year. I believe they also signed a new lease.

If contraction were on the table the Marlins and A's would likely be on the block.

1997 | 2003

Archived