Pujols a Whiner

no97

like i mentioned be4 voting takes place BEFORE THE POSTSEASON so he shouldnt be complaining b/c it is not based on the postseason its based on the season. though its pretty funny to hear a pro baseball player thats making millions complain that he got cheated out of mvp when he was the mvp last year. all he is is a greedy baseball player thats wants more and more accomplishments. he should just be happy he is where he is i would glady take his place if i had the chance and i wouldnt complain about a thing.

Its not who you are on the outside, its who you are on the inside that makes you great

ducksravensheat7kr.png

Fantasy Sports Experience

Orlando Palms (2006-2007) (MLH)

like i mentioned be4 voting takes place BEFORE THE POSTSEASON so he shouldnt be complaining b/c it is not based on the postseason its based on the season. though its pretty funny to hear a pro baseball player thats making millions complain that he got cheated out of mvp when he was the mvp last year. all he is is a greedy baseball player thats wants more and more accomplishments. he should just be happy he is where he is i would glady take his place if i had the chance and i wouldnt complain about a thing.

Talk about your ultimate rash judgements.

He really, really should have kept his mouth shut. But it's a worse reflection on you then on him that you'll lose all respect for a guy who does so many good things based on one stupid comment.

I suppose you are perfect in every way? Or that if you were a ballplayer then you would be perfect in every way.

If this was the norm, rip him, but it's not, so don't overlook all the great things he does.

Also, I hope you never ever, ever, ever get a chance to vote for any awards. There are more stats then just AVG, HR, and RBI. Go check out RISP, Close and Late, GW RBI, etc. Pujols dominated those. So while you can tell me Howard isn't an awful choice, I think it's ridiculous to say there is no case for Pujols.

I see Pujols' point, but still, Howard deserved the honor. The Cards have been nothing less than a lock for playoffs every season since about 2000 or so. The Phillies are essentially expected to fail, much to my delight :P . The Cardinals almost missed playoffs after having a more than commanding lead on the division. THe Phillies almost made the playoffs after being picked to finish at best 3rd in the division.

Furthermore, Howard IS the Phillies franchise. He has very little offensive help. Utley's a good player, no doubt, but he's stuck with Jimmy "I don't take enough pitches to be a legit leadoff man" Rollins, Pat "One-Armed Swinging Strikeout" Burrell and formerly David "The Double Play" Bell and Bobby "I only try when I'm in New York" Abreu. Pujols has a decent amount of help in his lineup, and guys who can actually hit behind him. He also has a decent pitching staff, unlike the Philles. Stats are great and all, but they don't matter when you just look at how the teams finished the season(by that, I don't mean their record per se, but rather how they were playing) and who's in the lineup.

That's just my opinion, and keep in mind, I'm a Cardinals fan and hate my hometown Philadelphia teams with a passion.

I see Pujols' point, but still, Howard deserved the honor. The Cards have been nothing less than a lock for playoffs every season since about 2000 or so. The Phillies are essentially expected to fail, much to my delight :P . The Cardinals almost missed playoffs after having a more than commanding lead on the division. THe Phillies almost made the playoffs after being picked to finish at best 3rd in the division.

Furthermore, Howard IS the Phillies franchise. He has very little offensive help. Utley's a good player, no doubt, but he's stuck with Jimmy "I don't take enough pitches to be a legit leadoff man" Rollins, Pat "One-Armed Swinging Strikeout" Burrell and formerly David "The Double Play" Bell and Bobby "I only try when I'm in New York" Abreu. Pujols has a decent amount of help in his lineup, and guys who can actually hit behind him. He also has a decent pitching staff, unlike the Philles. Stats are great and all, but they don't matter when you just look at how the teams finished the season(by that, I don't mean their record per se, but rather how they were playing) and who's in the lineup.

That's just my opinion, and keep in mind, I'm a Cardinals fan and hate my hometown Philadelphia teams with a passion.

Ugh. I don't wanna keep arguing this, lol, but...I...just...can't...stop...lol

Howard had far more protection than Pujols. He did. It's a fact.

You might see some names on the Cards roster that MIGHT make you think that Pujols MIGHT have had better protection. But in the end he didn't, and it wasn't close. Albert was the only real, consistant force for the Cards last year.

Here's a look at more of the context Pujols originally said these in.

Doesn't change what he said a WHOLE lot, but softens it quite a bit.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/blogs/?p=97

The major contradiction would seem to be that he thought Ortiz deserved some MVPs (this year and others) but Ortiz didn't come close to the playoffs this year.

That said, if Howard won this year, there's no way Ortiz shouldn't have also won.

Oh well, still not good judgement by Albert, but I thought people might want to see some of the context.

That said, if Howard won this year, there's no way Ortiz shouldn't have also won.

I disagree. Although the Phillies didn't make the playoffs they were right in the playoff hunt right up until the final week. And as pointed out before the Phillies had a better record than other NL playoff teams in other divisions, namely the Cardinals. In Ortiz's case the Red Sox were out of the race by September first. They didn't come close to having a better record than another AL playoff team from another division. Also add in the fact that the Red Sox had a below .500 (70-74) record against AL opponents and it would be a joke if Ortiz won the AL MVP.

I think Pujols has some type of case but in this instant I don't think Howard is undeserving of the the MVP. This isn't A-Rod winning in 2003, Howard had his team in the playoff race right to the end (even when the GM gave up on the team in July) and in fact had a better record than the Cardinals who ended up making the playoffs. In this intance Pujols needs to just keep quiet.

Pujols needs to keep quiet regardless.

I was gonna mention A-Rod in 2003, but you did. If A-Rod won it then, why didn't Ortiz this year.

There's no consistancy.

I never said A-Rod was deseving of the MVP in 2003. That was a joke and if Ortiz would have won it this year it would have been just as big of a joke. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Monday, December 4, 2006

Pujols feels his MVP message was lost in translation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

Albert Pujols apparently feels like his words have been lost in translation.

In an interview with USA Today, Pujols said his recent comments about Ryan Howard's unworthiness as National League MVP were misinterpreted and he wants to apologize to the Phillies' slugging first baseman.

"I feel so bad because I love Ryan Howard," Pujols told USA Today. "I never said he didn't deserve the MVP. He is deserving of that award. He earned it. That's why he got it. I'm not trying to defend myself; I just want to tell him that I'm sorry for all of this because he earned the MVP. The last thing I want to do is spoil this for him."

Speaking in Spanish at a news conference in the Dominican Republic last week, Pujols was quoted as saying: "I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

Pujols told USA Today he was hurt at how his comments were portrayed in the media.

"The way that came out hurt me big time," Pujols told the newspaper. "I'm very angry about that."

Pujols, who finished second to Howard in the MVP voting, led the Cardinals to the NL Central title this year and their first World Series championship since 1982. Howard and the Phillies missed the playoffs -- though they won two more regular-season games than St. Louis.

The Dominican-born Pujols batted .331 with 49 home runs and 137 RBI, while Howard hit .313 with 58 homers and 149 RBI.

Howard got 20 first-place votes for MVP and 388 points in balloting by a panel of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Pujols received 12 first-place votes and 347 points. Voting is conducted before the postseason.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Pujols is the greatest player of his generation. Howard is a prolific power hitter and had an MVP worthy season. All the uproar over Albert's quote is a sideshow that will be forgotten by spring training. Amen.

Pujols needs to keep quiet regardless.

I was gonna mention A-Rod in 2003, but you did. If A-Rod won it then, why didn't Ortiz this year.

There's no consistancy.

'03 was Delgado's year to win MVP... one chicago sports writer refused to vote for him because "MVPs can't come from a 3rd place team", yet he voted for A-Rod who was on a last place team

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

It may be off target as the article itself seems to be playing up the "lost in translation" angle more than Pujols himself: Nevertheless, can we please abolish this forever as an excuse? I don't buy it from Pujols, Ozzie Guillen or anyone else who has ever tossed it out there. Spanish is not some obscure language easily given to misinterpretation, and when a story from a foreign language medium is reported to the rest of the world, it's meaning is going to be conveyed accurately. Furthermore, (and meandering slightly off the issue) these guys have been exposed to the English speaking culture far too long to pull the "oh, it means something else to Latinos" thing, ala Guillen.

Own up to what you said, no matter what language you said it in.

It may be off target as the article itself seems to be playing up the "lost in translation" angle more than Pujols himself: Nevertheless, can we please abolish this forever as an excuse? I don't buy it from Pujols, Ozzie Guillen or anyone else who has ever tossed it out there. Spanish is not some obscure language easily given to misinterpretation, and when a story from a foreign language medium is reported to the rest of the world, it's meaning is going to be conveyed accurately. Furthermore, (and meandering slightly off the issue) these guys have been exposed to the English speaking culture far too long to pull the "oh, it means something else to Latinos" thing, ala Guillen.

Considering English speaking reporters frequently take English quotes out of context, I think its perfectly resonable that at an all spanish speaking event in the Dominican republic, where the question posed was not reported, that perhaps, he may have been misinterperted.

Its not like English is an easy language to learn or anything.

Considering English speaking reporters frequently take English quotes out of context, I think its perfectly resonable that at an all spanish speaking event in the Dominican republic, where the question posed was not reported, that perhaps, he may have been misinterperted.

Its not like English is an easy language to learn or anything.

Also, if you go check the original stories from the Dominican, it WAS taken out of context.

Not to the point that he didn't say it. But to the point that he was far from being a jerk about it.

He shouldn't have said it, period, but he didn't say it in a jerklike manner, and he's not a jerk.

Archived