Giants to Wear Alternate Red Jersey Today

Petrok224

I like them as once a year alt's. I know they're Big Blue, but they wear the blue so much with Dallas and Washington wearing white at home, and with the Eagles wearing white in Philly earlier this year. And it's a nice nod to the red's they use to wear. I'm upset they lost, but at least (I think) they looked good doing it. And maybe this loss will help to get Coughlin fired at the end of the year...

I just posted over on the uniwatch blog where the giant red alternates were getting summarily trashed.... I am a big fan of the historically accurate red jersey, grey pant, red sock, blue helmet look... it is a traditional period of giant history that I am sure many of the "modern fans" on this board will never appreciate... and that's ok...

considering some of the other alternative monstrocities the giants could've come up with... (blue pants, grey "storm" jerseys, red pants) this is tasteful, simple, and could be loosely interpreted as a "throwback"...

the giants wore red jerseys from the late 30's until 1950 when they introduced the deep blue... they wore blue helmets, red stripe, and red socks with the red jerseys with a "michigan-style" design from the late 30's through the early 40's....

I was at the game yesterday... they look great in person... and the crowd was buzzing about them (positively)..... they are sparingly used, once a year, and a nice change-up....

as for the nickname nonsense.... . I happen to follow two other NY teams that are commonly misidentified by nicknames.... the yankees are ALWAYS referred to as the "pinstripes" even in their road greys.. and the rangers are called the "blueshirts" even in their road whites or liberty alternates..... its really not a big deal...

I love all three of the giant uni variations... especially the road whites.... the lack of blue in the road unis and the lack of red in the home blue's provide a uniqueness that I feel separates the giants from many teams....

nybatt

"ny football giant uniforms... simplistic excellence"

No, the road whites don't look very good. The difference between the Giants and Rags is that even the white sweaters feature a lot of blue. Using entirely different colors for two uniforms is ill-advised to me.

i didnt like this look at all. maybe throw in a single stripe(ie penn state) at the bottom of the sleeve or something. like many have said it looked like they lost their gear and had to go with practice uni's.

thumbs down on this one.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I actually like the red alternates. I was at the game last year and seeing them in person is a totally different experience than watching on TV. It's a blood red color with a very clean and simple look. The same clean and simple traditional look of the home blue uniform that many of you praise when you sound off on non-traditional, cookie cutter, corporate influenced uniforms.

This whole practice jersey arguement is laughable. You mean to tell me if practice jerseys were black you'd go off on the Raiders for wearing a "practice jersey." So what, practice jerseys happen to be red, should red no longer be used by any team simply because they are used in practice. The Giants colors are red, white and blue. They didn't do something drastic and make some navy jersey or add black to the scheme. They stuck within their color scheme and it's not like they always wore blue. They did indeed wear red jerseys in the past albiet over 50 years ago. Give them credit for honoring their history in their current look. It's not like they went Buffalo Bills on us.

I think they look great. I know some don't like the full length colored sock look, but I do. And I think the black cleats with the long cherry red socks is a nice look. I think the jerseys looked great too, though I wouldn't have minded seeing the sleeve striping for a full inverted look of their road jerseys.

The game sure was the nail in the Coughlin for the season though, huh?

I just posted over on the uniwatch blog where the giant red alternates were getting summarily trashed.... I am a big fan of the historically accurate red jersey, grey pant, red sock, blue helmet look... it is a traditional period of giant history that I am sure many of the "modern fans" on this board will never appreciate... and that's ok...

considering some of the other alternative monstrocities the giants could've come up with... (blue pants, grey "storm" jerseys, red pants) this is tasteful, simple, and could be loosely interpreted as a "throwback"...

the giants wore red jerseys from the late 30's until 1950 when they introduced the deep blue... they wore blue helmets, red stripe, and red socks with the red jerseys with a "michigan-style" design from the late 30's through the early 40's....

I was at the game yesterday... they look great in person... and the crowd was buzzing about them (positively)..... they are sparingly used, once a year, and a nice change-up....

as for the nickname nonsense.... . I happen to follow two other NY teams that are commonly misidentified by nicknames.... the yankees are ALWAYS referred to as the "pinstripes" even in their road greys.. and the rangers are called the "blueshirts" even in their road whites or liberty alternates..... its really not a big deal...

I love all three of the giant uni variations... especially the road whites.... the lack of blue in the road unis and the lack of red in the home blue's provide a uniqueness that I feel separates the giants from many teams....

nybatt

"ny football giant uniforms... simplistic excellence"

That was a very well-thought out and compelling argument, nybatt.

But they still look like crap, no matter what era they wore them in. If the Giants really want an alt, why not "throw back" to the '86 ones with GIANTS on the helmet? People would love to see those again (even though I myself am a bigger fan of the new set, sans red alt).

This whole practice jersey arguement is laughable. You mean to tell me if practice jerseys were black you'd go off on the Raiders for wearing a "practice jersey." So what, practice jerseys happen to be red, should red no longer be used by any team simply because they are used in practice.

Okay, great what-ifs, but practice jerseys are plain and red, just like these.

As a GIANTS season ticket holder I HATE THESE JERSEYS :cursing: The Giants should always wear their blue uniforms at home and their white or blues depending on the team such as the Cowboys always wear their whites at home hence the Giants wear their blues is an exception to the rule. But these RED uniforms are :evil: !!! I dont have any facts to back this next statement up by I bet the Blue Jersey outsells the Red Jersey if any one has any proof that it is I would like to prove my point why they should only wear BLUE and white

As a GIANTS season ticket holder I HATE THESE JERSEYS :cursing: The Giants should always wear their blue uniforms at home and their white or blues depending on the team such as the Cowboys always wear their whites at home hence the Giants wear their blues is an exception to the rule. But these RED uniforms are :evil: !!! I dont have any facts to back this next statement up by I bet the Blue Jersey outsells the Red Jersey if any one has any proof that it is I would like to prove my point why they should only wear BLUE and white

Sorry bout the double post :(

Sorry bout the double post :(

Archived