New_orleans_bowl

JQK

I dont care they should not have a second bowl the New Orleans Bowl is a total joke I guess it fits the Sun Blet Conference you ever check the group of losers taht are placed in that one wow.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It may have been a good game but I wnat a championship. Perhaps Bowls like thsi shoudl not go away they could be used as conselaltion games for temas not in the tourney sort of like the NIT.

However, I dont like the diea of 1 city having 2 bowls there are plenaty of other places capable of holding this bowl.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Dallas and the Bay Area have the same situation.

Dallas has the SBC Cotton Bowl and the Fort Worth Bowl (which I assume used to be the Seattle Bowl)

The Bay Area has two "Bowls by the Bay"

Diamond Walnuts San Francisco Bowl at SBC Park in SF (still hate that name)

Silicon Valley Football Classic in San Jose which is on a brink of bankruptcy because of lack of a decent stadium in the 35,000 seat Spartan Stadium.  Expansion was to begin but that doesn't look possible now.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

It was a good game to watch, although I only got to see the second half.  

Bowl Games have become a Division 1A tradition as a reward for teams that have a winning season (I disagree with putting a .500 team in a bowl unless they win their conference), so arguing against their right to exist beyond a means of determining a championship is a moot point with me.  If you want to have a playoff, have a playoff among 2-4 teams AFTER the bowl season, and don't take away the ability for teams like North Texas and Memphis to have some postseason fun.  The Memphis contingency was pretty sizeable, something like 20,000 came down for the game.

And while I don't disagree that there are a number of markets that could host bowl games but aren't, please understand that the bowl certification process is not an exclusive process - it isn't like an All Star Game or Super Bowl where one site gets picked at the exclusion of another.  Each site brings a proposal to the NCAA and they either certify it or decline it.  Any market can make a proposal, so if New Orleans, Phoenix and Orlando want to create and host second bowl games, it's not because they beat out St. Louis, Minneapolis and Indianapolis for those games.

Dallas has the SBC Cotton Bowl and the Fort Worth Bowl (which I assume used to be the Seattle Bowl)

Actually, I believe the Seattle Bowl became the Diamond Walnuts San Francisco Bowl.  The Fort Worth Bowl is a new entity this year.

And while I don't disagree that there are a number of markets that could host bowl games but aren't, please understand that the bowl certification process is not an exclusive process - it isn't like an All Star Game or Super Bowl where one site gets picked at the exclusion of another. Each site brings a proposal to the NCAA and they either certify it or decline it. Any market can make a proposal, so if New Orleans, Phoenix and Orlando want to create and host second bowl games, it's not because they beat out St. Louis, Minneapolis and Indianapolis for those games.

I've actually looked into this process, in the hope of putting together a coalition of businesses and organizing a bowl game here in Raleigh, NC to counter 'evil' Charlotte's Continental Tire Bowl.

The process itself is kind of convoluted, but virtually anyone with the wherewithall and the desire to organize one could probably do it.

nav-logo.png

Actually, I believe the Seattle Bowl became the Diamond Walnuts San Francisco Bowl. The Fort Worth Bowl is a new entity this year.

Incorrect. The Seattle Bowl simply went belly-up.

I just read that the Seattle Bowl is making a comback next year!

I saw, I came, I left.

Oh great news 2 more 6-6 teams getting bowl slots yippie lets add some more bowls so we can satrt inviting 5-7 teams too letsd milk this cow for everything its worth.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Oh great news, 2 more 6-6 teams getting bowl slots. yippie! lets add some more bowls, so we can start inviting 5-7 teams too! let's milk this cow for everything its worth.

why do you have such problems with the amount of bowl games? if you don't like it, don't watch it. personally i think they are a good thing....good for the schools, because they get money from the sponsors to play in the games....good for the fans, because they get to see their team play in another game that otherwise wouldn't be there. i think it's great when more than 1 deserving from the MAC get into a bowl game.

i guess i just don't understand bashing on something simply because you seem to enjoy being a naysayer, regardless of the positive things these games provide.

As if I haven't made it clear elsewhere - I am an unashamed and unabashed fan of bowl season.  There's just something about bowl games that I really enjoy.  That being said, I don't think .500 or worse teams should be entitled to play in a bowl regardless of the bowl's magnitude, profile, reputation, whatever.  After this season, when the NCAA reverts to an 11 game season for all schools not playing in a post-season championship game or an early season "classic" (assuming all of those weren't discontinued), you won't see many if any .500 teams getting in.  A 6 win season will be a winning record.  However, I would like to see the NCAA impose a rule that prohibits bowl eligibility for any .500 team until every D1A school that has a winning record has received a bowl bid.  I'm sure the folks in Connecticut wouldn't mind seeing that rule imposed.

That being said, I don't think .500 or worse teams should be entitled to play in a bowl regardless of the bowl's magnitude, profile, reputation, whatever. After this season, when the NCAA reverts to an 11 game season for all schools not playing in a post-season championship game or an early season "classic" (assuming all of those weren't discontinued), you won't see many if any .500 teams getting in. A 6 win season will be a winning record. However, I would like to see the NCAA impose a rule that prohibits bowl eligibility for any .500 team until every D1A school that has a winning record has received a bowl bid. I'm sure the folks in Connecticut wouldn't mind seeing that rule imposed.

That was the rule up to a few years ago I have no idea why they changed it but it makes all tehse bowl even worse by completly cheapening who gets in.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Archived