NAIA Men's Hoops Team Cancels Season

Sodboy13

From the Purdue Calumet website

Academic woes end men's basketball season, coaching staff resigns

HAMMOND, Ind. (December 29, 2006) ? Academic ineligibility of eight student basketball players following season-ending injuries to two others has prompted Purdue University Calumet to cancel the remainder of its 2006-07 men?s season and accept the resignation of head coach Mike James and his coaching staff, effective immediately.

Grade reports of recently completed fall semester course work necessitated the decision, according to Purdue Calumet Assistant Vice Chancellor for Health, Recreation and Sports Rob Jensen, adding that an assessment of the men?s basketball program will be conducted and improvements made prior to resuming play in 2007-08. The names of the ineligible student athletes may not be announced due to student privacy regulations.

The season-ending decision means Purdue Calumet, after compiling an 8-5 record, will not play the final 16 games of its regular season, including 12 dates and a postseason tournament within Division I of the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC). Purdue Calumet previously announced that its men?s and women?s basketball teams are moving to Division II of the CCAC next season.

?While I am very disappointed in a number of our student athletes for their failure to respond appropriately to their academic goals and responsibilities,? Jensen said, ?I also deeply regret that our system of monitoring the academic progress of our student athletes failed to achieve our desired intention.?

Purdue Calumet Chancellor Howard Cohen said the decision to halt the season, though unfortunate, is necessary.

?Basketball players are students first; we expect them to do well in the classroom,? he said. ?The NAIA has as its motto: ?Champions of Character.? We expect nothing less from our athletes, and we will not compromise our standards in our sports programs.?

The premature end to the 2006-07 season and his coaching resignation is particularly disappointing for James, a Purdue Calumet alumnus and former all-conference player for longtime coach Larry Liddle, previous assistant under predecessor Gary Hayes and successor to Hayes when the latter resigned midway through the 2004-05 season.

?This was supposed to be a time of great excitement for our program,? said James, who compiled a 29-33 record at the Purdue Calumet helm. ?We were 8-5 with a chance to improve on that record heading into conference play. I am extremely disappointed, and as head coach I accept responsibility.?

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Services Melinda Dalgarn, to whom the Office of Health, Recreation and Sports reports, said a series of steps will be taken to assure proper implementation of an improved, revitalized men?s basketball program.

?We must re-evaluate our student athlete academic monitoring process; clearly, we need a better system in place,? she said. ?As unfortunate as this situation is, we can learn from it, make improvements and, ultimately, our basketball program will be stronger.?

Jensen added that no timetable has been set for hiring a new coach.

?Mike, the rest of the coaching staff and I always tried to be very clear with our athletes as to their responsibilities in the classroom and the great benefits of earning a Purdue degree at Purdue Calumet,? he said. ?Without question, that will be a focus and priority of our new coach and staff.?

The premature termination to the men?s season comes 12 years after Purdue Calumet canceled its women?s basketball season just two games into the 1994-95 campaign due to an unprecedented string of injuries, ailments, academic ineligibility and unexpected departures. The program regrouped in 1995-96 under Hayes? coaching to compile a 27-5 record, win the CCAC championship and qualify for a berth in the NAIA Division I national tournament.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From the Purdue Calumet website

Academic woes end men's basketball season, coaching staff resigns

HAMMOND, Ind. (December 29, 2006) ? Academic ineligibility of eight student basketball players following season-ending injuries to two others has prompted Purdue University Calumet to cancel the remainder of its 2006-07 men?s season and accept the resignation of head coach Mike James and his coaching staff, effective immediately.

Grade reports of recently completed fall semester course work necessitated the decision, according to Purdue Calumet Assistant Vice Chancellor for Health, Recreation and Sports Rob Jensen, adding that an assessment of the men?s basketball program will be conducted and improvements made prior to resuming play in 2007-08. The names of the ineligible student athletes may not be announced due to student privacy regulations.

The season-ending decision means Purdue Calumet, after compiling an 8-5 record, will not play the final 16 games of its regular season, including 12 dates and a postseason tournament within Division I of the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC). Purdue Calumet previously announced that its men?s and women?s basketball teams are moving to Division II of the CCAC next season.

?While I am very disappointed in a number of our student athletes for their failure to respond appropriately to their academic goals and responsibilities,? Jensen said, ?I also deeply regret that our system of monitoring the academic progress of our student athletes failed to achieve our desired intention.?

Purdue Calumet Chancellor Howard Cohen said the decision to halt the season, though unfortunate, is necessary.

?Basketball players are students first; we expect them to do well in the classroom,? he said. ?The NAIA has as its motto: ?Champions of Character.? We expect nothing less from our athletes, and we will not compromise our standards in our sports programs.?

The premature end to the 2006-07 season and his coaching resignation is particularly disappointing for James, a Purdue Calumet alumnus and former all-conference player for longtime coach Larry Liddle, previous assistant under predecessor Gary Hayes and successor to Hayes when the latter resigned midway through the 2004-05 season.

?This was supposed to be a time of great excitement for our program,? said James, who compiled a 29-33 record at the Purdue Calumet helm. ?We were 8-5 with a chance to improve on that record heading into conference play. I am extremely disappointed, and as head coach I accept responsibility.?

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Services Melinda Dalgarn, to whom the Office of Health, Recreation and Sports reports, said a series of steps will be taken to assure proper implementation of an improved, revitalized men?s basketball program.

?We must re-evaluate our student athlete academic monitoring process; clearly, we need a better system in place,? she said. ?As unfortunate as this situation is, we can learn from it, make improvements and, ultimately, our basketball program will be stronger.?

Jensen added that no timetable has been set for hiring a new coach.

?Mike, the rest of the coaching staff and I always tried to be very clear with our athletes as to their responsibilities in the classroom and the great benefits of earning a Purdue degree at Purdue Calumet,? he said. ?Without question, that will be a focus and priority of our new coach and staff.?

The premature termination to the men?s season comes 12 years after Purdue Calumet canceled its women?s basketball season just two games into the 1994-95 campaign due to an unprecedented string of injuries, ailments, academic ineligibility and unexpected departures. The program regrouped in 1995-96 under Hayes? coaching to compile a 27-5 record, win the CCAC championship and qualify for a berth in the NAIA Division I national tournament.

i wonder if they'll play knoxville college...

go dawgs!

Archived