What's wrong with the NHL?

youcan'tseeme

To remedy this situation, I would propose that the NHL expand the ice rink to international size.

I would like you and only you to tell me how they are going to do that.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

If an NHL rink is 85 feet wide and 200 feet long compared to the international size of 98 feet wide and 210 feet long it's a simple 5 feet added on each top/bottom end and 6.5 feet on either side. That's what...1 or 2 rows of seats to get rid of? Not a big deal. On top of that a lot of arenas are multipurpose and are built to hold bigger events such as concerts so they can hold it. It's not that big of an engineering problem.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To remedy this situation, I would propose that the NHL expand the ice rink to international size.

If an NHL rink is 85 feet wide and 200 feet long compared to the international size of 98 feet wide and 210 feet long it's a simple 5 feet added on each top/bottom end and 6.5 feet on either side. That's what...1 or 2 rows of seats to get rid of? Not a big deal. On top of that a lot of arenas are multipurpose and are built to hold bigger events such as concerts so they can hold it. It's not that big of an engineering problem.

Yes, simply removing 2 rows of seats, then adding more ice making equipment under the cement, and then reinstall the area for the boards, and then, on top of all that, you have people sitting at about glass level in the first row... so you may even have to shave off a few feet from every row of seats in the lower bowl

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Yes, simply removing 2 rows of seats, then adding more ice making equipment under the cement, and then reinstall the area for the boards, and then, on top of all that, you have people sitting at about glass level in the first row... so you may even have to shave off a few feet from every row of seats in the lower bowl

It's only tens of millions of dollars in renovations for EVERY arena. I'm sure they can manage. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

First off by doing that teams would lose money because you would get rid of the very expensive seats. Second it wouldn't fix the problem you described it would only make it worse. The problem you described is people not being able to see the play develop, that's because of the the shape of the rink and the shape of your average TV. The rink is rectangular while most TV's are more to the square. The result is often times players that are getting the pass are off camera. Making the rinks bigger is only going to give the players more off camera areas to go to as now. Further more by making rinks bigger that helps take physical play out of the game as it is harder to hit someone, the result of that is making the games pretty boring to watch.

Don't use the Olympics as an example of what to do in the NHL. That is an All-Star tournament featuring the very best in the world.

See? That's why I wanted him to answer it. :D

Yeah and you came up with any good ideas to fix it? That I doubt. The fact remains regardless is that for the NHL to succeed they have to cater to the AMERICAN fan. The United States is where the money is at, and so if they want to compete with the NBA, NFL, and MLB they have to cater to what Americans want. A lot of people feel the game has no American flavor. If it did people would care. My changes would at least give it some of that.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Yeah and you came up with any good ideas to fix it? That I doubt. The fact remains regardless is that for the NHL to succeed they have to cater to the AMERICAN fan. The United States is where the money is at, and so if they want to compete with the NBA, NFL, and MLB they have to cater to what Americans want. A lot of people feel the game has no American flavor. If it did people would care. My changes would at least give it some of that.

How would the IIHF's rink size achieve that?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Crosby needs some protection.

He does. Ruutu and Thorburn are the tough guys of the team. They did have Colby Armstong until he got jumped and injured after making a legal hit.

But I understand what you mean, we do need a real enforcer.

Ruutu is NOT a "tough guy". He's an agitator. He'll only fight Europeans like Sergei Zholtok and runs and hides from anyone who can actually make a fist.

Yah, I'd agree. He played the agitator role on the Canucks for years, but he never really fought much. Just took dumb penalties and would have a cheeky smile every time he went to the box. Wade Brookbank is also on the Penguins I believe, so they could put him in the lineup for standing up for Crosby.

Because an IIHF rink size allows for better puck visibility and forces the play to spread out. I don't think you need the checking into the boards as much as you need the fights. Allow those and the fights will come back with better puck visibilty allowing for both the speed and physicality of the game to come out. Combine that with USA Hockey and the NHL helping to facilitate youth hockey in America to get more American players in the NHL and then that will attract more American fans and more money.

spacer.png

Because an IIHF rink size allows for better puck visibility and forces the play to spread out. I don't think you need the checking into the boards as much as you need the fights. Allow those and the fights will come back with better puck visibilty allowing for both the speed and physicality of the game to come out. Combine that with USA Hockey and the NHL helping to facilitate youth hockey in America to get more American players in the NHL and then that will attract more American fans and more money.

You want fighting but not checking on the boards. What do you think creates the fights (or at least the good ones). It's those hard hits bit open ice and one the boards. Other wise you get the fights that there currently are which is two "goons" fighting so they can keep their job.

Also you talk about needing to Americanize game (and this was Fred's point) and your solution is to go to European size rink. Do you realize the cost this would be to change the size of the rink. I would guess that 99% of the rinks in America are NHL size and this doesn't include all the ones in Canada all would probably have to change to bigger ice. And for what to make the puck more visible, the puck won't become more visible. The puck along the near boards isn't going to visible no matter how big the rink is. That's because it's the boards that obstruct the view of the puck.

One other idea I neglected to mention, and I'm surprised this has never been done, but the NFL uses SkyCam on ESPN. The NHL should get some version of SkyCam with whatever network they go with, and use it more often when pucks are in the corners or along the boards.

spacer.png

Archived