How I'd Fix the Nextel Cup

WJMorris3

With the rash of cheating involved in NASCAR, I think somehow the sport needs to be changed a bit. If I was Bill France, here's what I'd consider doing, for the integrity of the sport.

1. Change the scoring system.

I think the current system is flawed, so I propose a system of my own design. Winning the race will be worth 250 base points. 2nd is worth 230, 3rd 220, 4th 210, and 5th 200. From 5th to 10th, the points are separated by 8 per place (10th is 160). From 10th to 15th, the points are separated by 6 points (15th is 130 points). From 15th on, the points are separated by 4 points each (43rd is 18 points).

In addition, drivers can score 10 points for leading the most laps, 7 points for leading the second most laps, 5 points for leading the third most laps, and 3 points for leading any laps at all. Drivers also earn 10 points for securing the pole position. (8 for qualifying 2nd, 6 for 3rd, 4 for 4th, 2 for 5th.) Finally, drivers earn 5 points just for finishing the race on the lead lap. Highest possible score for a driver in any race is 275 points.

2. Eliminate provisionals.

As the system currently stands, the top 35 drivers, in owners points, automatically qualify for each race. I would abandon this system, for one strictly determined by qualifying times. If one does not qualify, one does not race.

3. Real punishments for wrongdoing.

Those cars that are guilty of failing qualifying inspections due to illegal modifications will have their qualifying times deleted. As such, they will most likely not be able to race in that race. Those cars that are guilty of failing post-race inspections due to illegal modifications will result in a one-race suspension for the driver. Particularly blatant infractions may be penalized by a multiple-race suspension. Points penalties might still be considered for raceday infractions (for instance, intentionally causing a crash). In such cases, points will be deducted in 40-point increments.

4. The Chase for the Championship.

The Chase for the Championship will take place involving the 11 drivers that are leading the points standings after the 26th race. The leader will be given 10,200 points to start, and each driver, in order, will be separated by 20 points (11th place would be given 10,000). Drivers will still be given points on the same scale as the rest of the drivers, but after each of the 10 races in the Chase, the low man in the Chase will be eliminated. (As a side note, had this rule been in place last year, with last year's Chase point system and 11 drivers, Tony Stewart would be your Nextel Cup champion.)

So here's what I have. Any comments, critiques, et al, is much appreciated.

LvZYtbZ.png

Not only that but I think drivers should be suspended if they are caught with anything thats illegal on their car. Kenseth, Kahne, and Waltrip all should be barred from the Daytona you do that you send a real message.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not only that but I think drivers should be suspended if they are caught with anything thats illegal on their car. Kenseth, Kahne, and Waltrip all should be barred from the Daytona you do that you send a real message.
Ah. That would happen under my system. As they had their illegal modifications pre-race, their qualifying times would be deleted, and as such, would not be able to race Daytona. (No points penalty though).

Be glad I didn't go with the original idea of installing car crushers at all Nextel Cup tracks, to be used on cars with illegal modifications. Yes, the destruction would be public.

LvZYtbZ.png

And yeah, while we're at it, let's make the walls padded with rubber and make sure none of the cars will damage each other.

I know, let's just make it glorified bumper cars!

NASCAR's supposed to be a tough race, not driving down the interstate.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

And yeah, while we're at it, let's make the walls padded with rubber and make sure none of the cars will damage each other.

I don't see how Will's suggestion's have anything to do with this.

By my interpretation, Will's not trying to modify the character of the races themselves, just trying to better uphold the league integrity and create a more interesting points system.

Brian France runs the show, not Bill France

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

By my interpretation, Will's not trying to modify the character of the races themselves, just trying to better uphold the league integrity and create a more interesting points system.

I wasn't slanting will. I was slanting all the crap NASCAR's doing now. I thought the topic meant we could suggest our own, not just praise will's.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

3570560-md.jpg

scrap the whole oval works, get Ford to bring over the Australian Falcon, invite BMW, Mercedes and anybody else with a sporty FR four-door in that size class to build a car, and base the series off the Australian V8 Supercar model.

seriously, 40-plus cars racing side by side is only improved when they actually look like the street versions, have homologation-special street versions available to the public, and - oh yeah - actually race on road courses and street circuits.

if I suddenly had the power over NASCAR, it's what I'd do.

-------

sorry, I'm a little burnt out on the over-commercialization of NASCAR. Strangely, around the time it started getting too big was when I really lost interest; however, sadly, this is the only big motor racing in the US, until Champ Car and the IRL combine into one (one way or another).

harperdc.gif

I wasn't slanting will. I was slanting all the crap NASCAR's doing now. I thought the topic meant we could suggest our own, not just praise will's.

Oh, my bad then. Just interpreted your post wrong.

scrap the whole oval works, get Ford to bring over the Australian Falcon, invite BMW, Mercedes and anybody else with a sporty FR four-door in that size class to build a car, and base the series off the Australian V8 Supercar model.

I'd scrap it all and debut Combine Demolition Derby! I saw it on TV the other night, and was hooked (Seriously!). In addition, they manned up by riding around in open-air cabs. Sehr gut!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

too bad that isn't a race.

whereas AVESCO has the manufacturer battle angle that NASCAR wants, all the cars are close to production (no such thing as a Camry with a V8) and look it, and you still have all the fun of 40+ cars on track...but its on a road course.

harperdc.gif

too bad that isn't a race.

We can adjust the parameters of the demolition derby to make them drive around in circles a certain number of times whilst bashing each other to bits. Open-air cabs will still be required.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived