Nfl coaching changes thread

Saintsfan

It has begun! The cull of unsuccesful coaches has begun in Chicago were Dick Jauron has been fired. The Bills have called a press conference for 4 15 EST so it looks like curtains for Gregg Williams as well. ESPN.com also report that Dave McGinnis is  gonna be let go in Arizona and that Bill Callahan may be fired by Al Davis in Oakland.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest gossip I have read on new coaches is that Tom Coughlin is favourite to take over the Giants, Nick Saban is this years college coach to be linked with every job going, Jim Fassell is always being linked with the Cards, but intrigingly I read somewhere, ESPN.com I think that Denny Green was interested in the Cards job and they were interested in him. Both Patriots co-ordinators , Romeo Crenell and Charlie Weiss are interesting just about everyone, and in Atlanta Jim Mora Jnr is gonna be interviewed,

My predictions:

Arizona: Jim Fassell

NY Giants: Tom Coughlin

Atlanta: Lovie Smith

Buffalo: Charlie Weiss

Chicago: Greg Blache (Current Bears Def co-ordinator)

Oakland: Jim Mora Jnr

Yo never know I mighht have a couple right!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I heard Coughlin had a bad interview wih the Giants. I think Weiss will want, and take the job. He is from the area.

As far as Fassel on the radio today they asked him about AZ, and he said the Bidwell's were great to him but was reluctant to say he was interested. I don't think he will go to Arizona.

Steve Spurrier has resigned from the Redskins, so another team is after a head coach. With the money behind that franchise, I reckon that whoever gets hired in Washington could trigger off the whole coaching merry go round. Personally though it is one job I wouldn't touch. Seems like that franchise just is in a downward spiral right now.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Dan Snyder bought the team in 99 and has had 5 coaches all ready. Spurrier had one of the longest tenures under Snyder with 2 years. With that record I don't think many top coaching candidates will go to Washington. Where they would have an impossible situation to win with that owner.

As far as Spurrier, I could see another NFL team giving a shot realizing that the Redskins coaching job is an impossible one.

Spurrier is a collge coach and should go back to school. I dont think Florida will push Zook out, dont be shocked if Spurrier goes to Nebraska.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Spurrier is a collge coach and should go back to school. I dont think Florida will push Zook out, dont be shocked if Spurrier goes to Nebraska.

I'm sure Nebraska wants to bring in a thing called a "forward pass".  Some teams are using it now and what a way to bring it in.

Nebraska is a monotheistic state and Tom Osborne is their deity. There is no room for a second God in Lincoln and therefore I highly doubt Steve Superior and NU will ever do business together. Besides, the undercurrent on the whole Washington deal was that Mrs. Superior was unhappy in DC and wants to move back to Florida. Can you imagine what she'd have to say about Nebraska?

Now what happens if Larry Coker gets offered the Dolphins job? ? ?

Naaaaaaah.

Washington are a franchise that really need some stability. Since Joe Gibbs left in 1992 (i think!!) they have been through 6 coaches now. Thats an average of 2 years each, and Norv Turner had the job for half the time. Snyder has to find a guy he is comfortable with, isn't given too much hype and say I'll give you 3 years minimum, time to build a team!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

As far as Spurrier, I could see another NFL team giving a shot realizing that the Redskins coaching job is an impossible one.

My guess is that Ron Zook better start looking for a new job.

You can see the confusion a Gator fan (like myself) faces. Zook has done a fairly decent job with the Gators. But Spurrier, on the other hand, has done a way better than decent job with them. Should they take the chance of getting Spurrier back? He could be a little rusty with his college coaching.

Oh, and btw, Callahan just got the boot.

Here's the link

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was the best place for a summary of myh iopinions of the coaching changes so far this off season

New York Giants

Handled the firing of a popular and moderately succesful head coach very well. Hired an experienced and highly qualified replacement.   B

Washington Redskins

The end of a failing experiment came with the resignation of Steve Spurrier, in comes a very experienced, highly qualified, but out of the game for a long time replacement, in Joe Gibbs. Will he be the new Bill Parcells? The appointment in someways smacks of marketing by Dan Snyder rather than football sense but I could be wrong!!   C-

Arizona Cardinals

They were bound to have a bad 2003 after having traded away Jake Plummer, so the firing of Dave McGinnis was inevitable almost before a pass had been thrown. However the Cardinals might just have made there best move in years by hiring an experienced and highly qualified replacement in Denny Green.   B+

Atlanta Falcons

Let Dan Reeves go after a dissapointing year, without Mike Vick for most of it. Reeves misfortune turns to Jim Mora Jrs fortune as he gets to Head Coach the most exciting allround talent in football today. An interesting move, but sound choice in the end to go for a defensive coach, and with his dad to call on for advice this one could work out.    B

Buffalo Bills

Greg Williams was fiored after failing to inspire the Bills. Steelers offensive co-ordinator, Mike Mularkey, is his repacement. The Bledsoe lead Bills offense ranked 31st in 2003 so any help it can get is gonna be good, particularly in such a competeive division. B-

Chicago Bears

Dick Jauron was fired after 2 years after taking the Bears to an unlikely 13-3 season. Expect him to be back sometime. The Bears got one of the most talked about up and coming coaches in Lovie Smith as replacement. Is he the next Marvin Lewis or another Dave Wannstedt style failure in the Windy City??  B

Oakland Raiders

Bill Callahan's reign left under a bit of a cloud, but his sake thats not a bad thing as the next coach is bound to have to oversee something of a rebuilding period. Norv Turner is that guy, poor man. Hardly a headline grabbing pick, but then again he survived the Redskins revolving door for as long as anyone else recently.   C

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Washington Redskins

The end of a failing experiment came with the resignation of Steve Spurrier, in comes a very experienced, highly qualified, but out of the game for a long time replacement, in Joe Gibbs. Will he be the new Bill Parcells? The appointment in someways smacks of marketing by Dan Snyder rather than football sense but I could be wrong!! C-

The owner is the problem in Washington Gibbs could be succesful after all he built a great NASCAR team, but Snyder needs to go up to teh owners box and get out of the way, and let Gibbs make all teh player decision and not sign over priced free agents.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So, for the Rams Legendary O Line (as well as head at one point in his career) Jim Hanifan has retired. D Coord Lovie Smith signed on as head coach with the Bears, and Mike Martz tried to distract some blame by not renewing ST Coach Bobby April's contract.

That last one really gets to me. I realize that our ST have been anything but great, but there's some things that have to be realized. April was a great coach before coming here. Martz doesn't do crap for the ST. He gives him rookies and backups to work with mainly. Martz also wasn't giving April full control of the ST until midway through the year when April got tired of shoulder all the blame that wasn't his fault. Once April was given control, the ST improved drastically. Also, April's ST unit was the only unit who showed up to play in the playoff game.

There was also the fact that, even though kickers are mainly without coaching, K Jeff Wilkins had a terrible year and was killed mentally, and April helped him to have possibly the greatest kicking year ever this year, and if it wasn't for about 2 yards (he had about 52/54 yards) on a potential game winning field goal in the playoffs he would have had probably the greatest kicking performance ever in football. It would have included going 6/6. Two kicks over 50 (51 and 54). On onside kick completed, and too boot, he recovered that kick himself. Anyway, I got a lot off topic there, but some of that HAS to go to April no matter how much a kicker is generally on his own.

The other thing is that I know April's daughter, and now she'll probably have to move, and that sucks. Plus, they got me tickets to that playoff game.

I pretty much hate what the Rams management is doing. I know your sposed to be a fan through thick and thin, and I probably am more than anyone else, but I usually have a problem wanting people fired or gone instead of sticking up for them and hoping they'll turn it around, but right now I really want Martz and the management gone.

If not for Kurt Warner, this team would probably go down the tube next year. Martz has ruined a potential dynasty (something that is near impossible in today's NFL, but he had the chance).

Archived