The Biggest Sporting Event of the Year is...

Fred T. Jane

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile...

Overnight:

West Indies 2/190 defeated Ireland 8/183 by 8 wickets.

India 185 defeated by Sri Lanka 6/254 by 69 runs.

Group Tables as at 24/03/07:

table240307.jpg

Tonight:

Australia v South Africa at Warner Park, St Kitts

England v Kenya at Beausejour Stadium, St Lucia

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

India are out.

I probally should have marked something for teams out.

Teams that are out of the tournament, from Group A:

-Netherlands

-Scotland

-India

-Canada

-Pakistan

-Zimbabwe

-Bermuda still has Bangladesh to play, that you'd expect Bangladesh to win and go through to the next round. Bermuda could make it if they absolutely smash the Tigers and increase their NRR by 6 or more.

-Kenya and England play tonight, the winner will go through to the next stage

-Australia play South Africa that is essentially the first Super Eight match. Will be the first game most Australians will tune in for (as games start at 12.15am here, and the other two games have been on weekday mornings)

Oh dear, heads will roll in India over this.

Australia/South Africa v. Sri Lanka/Windies in the final.*

*I haven't settled on who will be there, but there will be the combination of those there.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Australia 6/377 defeated South Africa 294 by some 80-odd runs.

Looked like Sth Africa could win at one stage, then our bowlers kicked in and they lost the last 8/70-odd

In the other match, England beat Kenya and they will go through in second place to the Super Eights. Kenya are out.

*ahem*

The lack of discussion here is disturbing.

The Windies are currently making me look silly (Only take 3 wickets from New Zealand? Boo!), but the other picks are looking great.

On tap, it's Ireland v. England on Friday and Australia v. Bangladesh on Saturday.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Australia are going to win this undefeated. As shown v South Africa and West Indies, we are in a class of our own. If it doesn't get to our heads, we'll win it.

How's Brad Hogg, not in the side 2months ago (selectors experimenting with others) and behind McGrath is our most important bowler, well yeh, he's a spinner.

C'mon Ireland, beat England.

• 2 weeks later...

BIG NEWS

Yes, BIG NEWS

No news has been as BIG as this since 11/9/01

The Cricket World Cup is still going.

No one would have even noticed....

Doesn't the super 8 format take longer than the round robin itself? I'm beginning to wonder if they should just adopt a play-off format like the AFL final 8 system where pool winners get the double-chance.

I saw, I came, I left.

BIG NEWS

Yes, BIG NEWS

No news has been as BIG as this since 11/9/01

The Cricket World Cup is still going.

No one would have even noticed....

Doesn't the super 8 format take longer than the round robin itself? I'm beginning to wonder if they should just adopt a play-off format like the AFL final 8 system where pool winners get the double-chance.

Oh it's ridiculous.

But the ICC gets money of Indian TV, which was, until they failed to get through to the Super 8's. Indians wanted a game a day, which is ridiculous. Some of the Aussie player are commenting on the slowness of the tournament, they are getting a weeks break between games which is too long. Prior to the England game, the Aussies let players have 3 days off and return to camp closer to the game.

Australia is so far ahead of any other team its not funny. I don't understand why they play 4 countries that don't play cricket, you could see last night how inexperienced they were on fast, bouncy pitches.

Well, the semi-final field is now set, aside from the placings. The Aussies, Kiwis, South Africa and Sri Lanka. Sounds like a Tri-Nations rugby tourney plus one.

Sri Lanka can finish no worse than third with a win over Ireland today. A loss will put them into a run-rate tiebreaker with South Africa for that third spot. Australia plays New Zealand on Friday for the top seed, with Australia needing a win to finish the Super 8's unscathed. Tomorrow's Windies/Bangladesh match and Friday's Windies/England have only bottom-four classification implications.

Honestly, TV or none, this part has gone on way, way too long. I can understand if this portion was still the Super 6, but it's taken them 26 days to play 24 matches, whereas it took them just 13 to play the same amount to get through the group part. It seems like by the time everyone gets home, it'll be time for the Ashes.

In other news, I'm anxiously awaiting the arival of EA Cricket 07 to my doorstep, thanks to Amazon.com. I hope it's worth the $60 I spent on it. If it isn't, um... someone here may get a discount.

philly.png

Archived