Cardinals Fire John Richie Anderson

WJMorris3

TEMPE, Ariz. (March 12, 2007) -- The Arizona Cardinals fired wide receivers coach Richie Anderson four days after his arrest in a police prostitution sting operation.

Anderson, a fullback in the NFL for 13 seasons, was hired by new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt in January.

Anderson, 35, was arrested March 8 on an accusation of soliciting an undercover Phoenix police officer posing as a prostitute.

"I wanted a chance to review the details of the situation before making any decision," Whisenhunt said in a statement released by the team. "While it's disappointing, I've decided that this is clearly in the best interests of our team in this particular instance. Our focus is now on finding a replacement and I am confident we will be able to do that relatively soon."

Anderson played for the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys before retiring after the 2005 season. He was a 2000 Pro Bowl selection while with the Jets and holds the team record for receptions by a running back at 305.

He was assistant wide receivers and tight ends coach for the Jets last season.

Well, way to go, Richie, you've managed to get yourself fired in the course of two months, without any games played in the interim. I mean, it's not up to O'Leary standards but...

LvZYtbZ.png

Why is it good for the Cardinals? What does soliciting a prostitute have to do with coaching a football team? As if this is the worst thing a football player or coach has ever done or will do. Unless this guy was actually a really crappy coach and it's good to find any reason to unload the schmuck, then I don't see how it's really good. Now they have another vacancy on the staff that has to be addressed in the middle of March, long after most coaches have already settled in for their 2007 jobs.

Why is it good for the Cardinals? What does soliciting a prostitute have to do with coaching a football team? As if this is the worst thing a football player or coach has ever done or will do. Unless this guy was actually a really crappy coach and it's good to find any reason to unload the schmuck, then I don't see how it's really good. Now they have another vacancy on the staff that has to be addressed in the middle of March, long after most coaches have already settled in for their 2007 jobs.

It's a sign of the times. Character is a hot button at the moment. Personally, I'm glad because there's far too little personal accountability in the world.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Exactly. Besides, if a 37 year old payroll clerk who has never played a down of NFL football in his life can get chicks, a 35 year old former fullback should be dripping in honey.

The real outrage here is that a former FB is a WR coach. That's just silly.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Why is it good for the Cardinals? What does soliciting a prostitute have to do with coaching a football team? As if this is the worst thing a football player or coach has ever done or will do.

So a guy should keep his job until his receivers fail to perform or he murders someone? Are you really knocking a team for holding an employee to some semblance of the standards that you and I are held to?

Why is it good for the Cardinals? What does soliciting a prostitute have to do with coaching a football team? As if this is the worst thing a football player or coach has ever done or will do.

So a guy should keep his job until his receivers fail to perform or he murders someone? Are you really knocking a team for holding an employee to some semblance of the standards that you and I are held to?

We are not held to the same standard. It would be illegal for your employer to fire you for such a reason. What a person does on their own time (by and large) is just that -- their own. With that said, in right to work states, an employer could fire you for no reason. To state a reason would invite wrongful termination issues.

I can't wait until a major pro team sets up in Las Vegas. With prostitution being legal, moral clauses would become somewhat unenforceable.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

We are not held to the same standard. It would be illegal for your employer to fire you for such a reason. What a person does on their own time (by and large) is just that -- their own. With that said, in right to work states, an employer could fire you for no reason. To state a reason would invite wrongful termination issues.

I can't wait until a major pro team sets up in Las Vegas. With prostitution being legal, moral clauses would become somewhat unenforceable.

And if they go to a Legal Brothel then its their business.

The Bottom Line is Anderson was stupid, and with the rash of arrests in the NFL the Cards had no choice.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not if he had a "conduct detrimental to the image of the team" clause in his contract.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'm just saying; when Lee Laminger gets busted for prostitution he moves to Vancouver, finds another opportunity and picks up the pieces.

So should this guy have to.

I'm just saying; when Lee Laminger gets busted for prostitution he moves to Vancouver, finds another opportunity and picks up the pieces.

So should this guy have to.

Congratulations - you've just offended every Vancouverite for suggesting that their city is a repository for miscreant Winnipeggers. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

<_< I do recall a particular assistant coach getting arrested for driving naked :wacko: (and I think for driving drunk also??) and not getting fired. What a shame that the standards aren't across the board for every offender. :mad:

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Prostitution isn't legal in Las Vegas.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived