Australian Rugby Championships

Alphabet Man

looks like there will be a fair bit of away kit wearing too.

the five teams on the left all have a coloured top, black shorts and socks.

only one team with white shorts.

think this might be my next project. a redesign of this lot.

• 1 month later...

Well the Melbourne Rebels logo starts to make some sense now. They're the stars from the Eureka flag.

rebels.jpg

Rebels call on the spirit of the Eureka Stockade

22 August 2007

The AAMI Melbourne Rebels, the surprise leaders of the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship, will call on the spirit of the Eureka Stockade this week as they prepare for their third round clash with the high flying Western Sydney Rams in Sydney this coming Sunday.

Tonight (Wednesday) the team will travel to Ballarat to visit the site of the Eureka Stockade and attend “Blood under the Southern Cross” – a ninety minute light and sound spectacular that tells the dramatic story of the Eureka Uprising by Ballarat's miners against unjust and corrupt colonial rulers.

“The trip is a key part of the interstate player’s initiation to the heritage and culture of Melbourne” explained Rebels manager Josh Philpott.

The tradition surrounding the Stockade in fact played a major role in the evolution of the Melbourne based Australian Rugby Championship team.

“The Eureka Stockade of 1854 was a defining moment in the development of democracy in Australia” continued Philpot. “When we first came up with the name and the logo of the ‘Rebels’ the Stockade was a huge inspiration.”

“There’s a sense of history in that event which the Rebels name has come from and the characteristics of the Stockade are the characteristics the players are expected to adopt on the field.”

The Stockade has also been introduced into other areas of the Rebels set up including the naming of the Rebels Players’ Cup, the award for the Rebels player’s player, voted on by each team member after each game.

“The Players’ Player’s Cup is called The Peter Lalor Cup, in honour of the leader of the miners at Eureka Stockade” said Philpott. “He showed courage and indomitable spirit against impossible odds and that is the type of passion and commitment we want to see from the Rebels every time they run on to the field.”

ABOUT Blood on the Southern Cross

The show is set across Sovereign Hill's 64-acre site. Under the stars, on moonlit diggings, audiences are surrounded by the action and, ultimately, caught in the crossfire as the battle rages.

The production features state-of-the-art lighting and amazing special effects. Peter Lalor is larger than life on an aqua screen. Images of trapeze artists and acrobats fly across a huge circus tent. The Eureka Hotel bursts into flame, and rain falls in a blinding storm.

Blood on the Southern Cross runs for 90 minutes, seven nights a week (subject to availability). Special packages are available that include entry to Sovereign Hill, dinner and accommodation at the Sovereign Hill Lodge.

'State-of-the-art lighting and a dazzling array of special effects are the making of a great sound-and-light show - and Blood on the Southern Cross does not disappoint!'

ADDRESS: Bradshaw St, Ballarat VIC 3350

Phone 03 5333 5777

Fax 03 5332 9740

Email bosc@sovereignhill.com.au

Web http://www.sovereignhill.com.au

-------------

And by the way, three rounds in, the team that has the least experience than the rest won their first 2 games against better opposition on paper, but fell today to Western Sydney Rams. (Unless they did something in the last 15mins and scored 25 odd points to none).

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

And what type of a name is Fleet?

The type meant to pay homage to the historic "First Fleet" of eleven English ships, which sailed to New South Wales in 1787-1788 and established the first permanent European settlement in Australia - at what is now Sydney.

Let's go Fle-et let's go?

It's just as likely that fans could chant, "Let's go Syd-ney, let's go!"

Well the Melbourne Rebels logo starts to make some sense now. They're the stars from the Eureka flag.

That came to mind when I saw it too :) But then I realised that the Eureka Flag uses eight-pointed stars, not seven-pointed Federation Stars.

And what type of a name is Fleet?

The type meant to pay homage to the historic "First Fleet" of eleven English ships, which sailed to New South Wales in 1787-1788 and established the first permanent European settlement in Australia - at what is now Sydney.

Let's go Fle-et let's go?

It's just as likely that fans could chant, "Let's go Syd-ney, let's go!"

So basketball-ish. They don't go 'Let's go flee-eet let's go' (or Sydney)....no one turns up to these games.

Hate to tell you Matt but I had that in mind when I first saw the logo.

I don't have your mind.

That came to mind when I saw it too :) But then I realised that the Eureka Flag uses eight-pointed stars, not seven-pointed Federation Stars.

Hmm yeh so it is 8 points.

The Boomers signlet last week had 5 5-pointed stars, the FFA logo is the same with 5 5-pointed stars.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived