Australian Rugby Championships

Alphabet Man

A new Rugby comp down here is the Aus. Rugby Championships.

1 Canberra Vikings

2 Melbourne Rebels

3 Ballymore Tornadoes

4 West Sydney Rams

5 Central Coast Rays

6 Perth Spirit

7 East Coast Aces

8 Sydney Fleet

Yes, some of the names are poor. Like Fleet, I mean, c'mon. That list is in order of what I think are the better names.

Melbourne Rebels:

rebels.jpg

New South Wales teams- West Sydney Rams, Sydney Fleet, Central Coast Rays

633099891990788750.jpg

633081703744526250.jpg

633095600051095000.jpg

Queensland teams - East Coast Aces (Gold Coast) and Ballymore Tornadoes

Aces_and_Tornadoes_WEB_qru_news.jpg

Perth Spirit:

PERTHSPIRIT_yel_back_RGB_home_page_news.jpg

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I'm amazed that Canberra have gone for Vikings. There is already a very prominent sporting and social club in the city called Vikings (which uses a one-colour Minnesota Vikings logo), and the name is very close to the city's big team in the "other" rugby code, the Canberra Raiders.

The Rams' logo is pretty nice - pity about the wordmark. The Spirit are riding the Force's coattails, no surprise there. Sydney's logo is classy, but the name is junk. The rest are just....bleh. The Rebels look more like a baseball team!

I can't believe the colours of the two Sydney teams are so similar! I know blue and gold are traditional city colours for sporting teams but they can surely change it up a little?

liverpool-1.png

Melbourne Rebels:

rebels.jpg

...brought to you by the Geelong Football Club ;) seriously, though, this looks like a Cats warmup shirt

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 3 months later...

The Melbourne Rebels missed out on a great opportunity to draw from the Eureka Flag. Pity.

And... um... there's no team for Adelaide?

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Yeh, no Adelaide.

It was going to be 8 teams based in Super 14 states. Then the ARU forced (i'm led to believe this is true) NSW to give a team to Melbourne.

Apart from the 4 Super 14 cities, Melbourne is the next 'Rugby State' but it's not that popular.

Rugby Union more popular in Victoria than League?

Strange colour choice for the Central Coast. Their traditional rugby colours are black red and gold which was used in their one year stint as the waves in the Shute Shield. Otherwise, the regions sporting colours are sky blue (or navy) and gold.

And all of those logos are pretty ordinary. In this day an age how can a whole national league look like this.

sig.png

Gaz, it's not the worst league. There's the ABA and all those indoor gridiron leagues.

This thing starts next month, was launched the other week. Not much publicity, but I think as O'Neill returns to the ARU, he'll work his magic to improve it, which I think will need major tweaking after season 1.

Yep. Pretty much. The fonts are pretty basic for Perth, Central Coast Rays and Sydney. And what type of a name is Fleet? Let's go Fle-et let's go? Pfft. Aces? Don't know where to start in designing them a logo but it's looks strange. The Rebels would be an okay logo for a baseball team.

Perth should go well away from the Western Force and come up with a better name and logo.

Ballymore should call themselves Brisbane and East Coast should call themselves Gold Coast.

Rams? I've no idea.

The uniforms are good rugby-ish styles.

HAHAHAHAH- this is such a joke. The names are poor e.g. Fleet; why didnt the go for admirals, etc?? The reason there is a central coast team is in there is since the beginning of the a-league (new ozzie football (soccer) league), the Central Coast Mariners FC, the first sporting team to be based at Gosford has taken off, and now the other-codes are spitting chips and trying to jump in and get a piece of the market.....mwahahah :P

I think Canberra went with vikings since the rugby league team from canberra are called the "raiders" so they went along with that theme.

The Canberra Vikings are the Canberra Vikings which I'm told are a successful rugby team over there.

Central Coast also have a stadium that was pretty much a white elephant between the Northern Eagles and the Mariners.... now they have a second team.

If it wasn't for poor planning and bad luck, the Central Coast would still be the home of the Bears in the NRL (Central Coast Stadium still has the words "Go Bears" as a seat pattern). Other codes have been trying to grab a piece of the market here for years. Rugby took a shot about 4 years ago when Gordon decided to play all of its home games there for a season and then the Central Coast Waves more recently. About 5 NRL fixtures are played each year as well but as a consolation for having a proper team pulled out from under us.

sig.png

shocking stuff.

although i quite like that ballymore uses last years reds jersey and canberra uses the brumbies stripes.

on the whole tho, pretty :censored:.

we should have a redesign comp on the concept forum.

put up some ccc templates and the names, see what people come up with?

shocking stuff.

although i quite like that ballymore uses last years reds jersey and canberra uses the brumbies stripes.

on the whole tho, pretty :censored:.

we should have a redesign comp on the concept forum.

put up some ccc templates and the names, see what people come up with?

Awful awful names/logos. I'm quite happy Adelaide doesn't have a team in this abomination of a league.

Perth should go well away from the Western Force and come up with a better name and logo.

Well the Spirit are essentially being run as a domestic comp version of the Force (playing list will contain several Force players not in the Wallabies squad plus other local talent), and perhaps more importantly the association with the up-and-coming-and-still-reasonably-popular Force will give them an important publicity boost that might be just what a fledgling team in a fledgling competition needs.

Full piccie of their uniform, by the way...

Perth_Spirit_-_Jersey.JPG

Niiiice. Very rugby, very WA.

Archived