The Sports Identity Tournament: Elite 8 in each league

STL FANATIC

The first time I tried this, I had it up for a very short time before I realized a major mistake in the brackets. I've gotten around to fixing it, and am ready to relaunch.

Alright, Kinger's own logo brackets inspired me to start something I've wanted to do a while. That is, a bracketed tournament to decide the best sports identity out of the four major professional leagues, the MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL.

Instead of regions by location, I split brackets up into leagues, so we can choose the best league identity, and then pit the winners against each other in the final four. The MLB will face the NFL and the NBA will face the NHL in the final four.

I served as the committee and did the seeding. It's very much my opinions, but I tried my best to incorporate the general feelings I've learned from others in as well. Certainly the seeds could be debated, but ultimately we're just looking for the winner, not the runner ups, so seeding shouldn't matter. Please don't get too aggrivated because you disagree with a seed. Afterall, you have the ability to vote for an upset.

Because of the bracket format, in the leagues that have 30 teams (MLB, NBA, NHL), the top 2 seeds receive byes and automatically advance to the second round. In the NFL, everyone competes to advance to the second round.

REMEMBER, this is overall identity. So logos AND uniforms are both taken into account.

So with no further delay, here's the brackets.

Sports Identity Tournament

MLB NFL

NBA NHL

And here's where you can place your votes.

MLB voting NFL voting

NBA voting NHL voting

Round 1 Votes will be tallied at approximately Noon Central time Saturday, April 7th. Round 2 should be announced Sunday, April 8th.

Please take part in the first Sports Identity Tournament.

*ROUND 2*

Here's the brackets.

Sports Identity Tournament

MLB NFL

NBA NHL

And here's where you can vote in Round 2.

MLB voting NFL voting

NBA voting NHL voting

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you say not to worry about seeding, but Giants 31 out of 32? Really? That means either the Cards or Vikes are ahead of them. That in itself is a travesty.

Anyway, I think this would work better if you actually had logos up, or at least links to logos.

I know you say not to worry about seeding, but Giants 31 out of 32? Really? That means either the Cards or Vikes are ahead of them. That in itself is a travesty.

Anyway, I think this would work better if you actually had logos up, or at least links to logos.

The Giants used to have at least a middle of the pack respectable set. Nothing flashy, but pretty nice.

Then they wen't to that horid only red and white road uniform and unnecessarily added another pair of grey pants. MAJOR markoffs for that.

The Cardinals and Vikings may have played it modern, but they put out decent consistant uniforms and pretty nice logos. (The NY logo is fine, but it's a little dull.)

But, I will admit, sometimes I felt like I had a team seeded too low (or high..like...closer to 30), but ultimately I had to make the decisions or I couldn't have set this up. The NCAA committee makes seeding mistakes. So do I.

As for the logos, I don't want to link to any one design for each team beause this is for the ENTIRE logo and uniform set. Linking to one might wrongly sway an opinion based on just that.

Do teams in St. Louis get automatic first-round byes?

;)

Just messing with you, this is fun.

The Cardinals do. So too do the Braves, for some reason. I can understand the Cards, but not the Yankees, Sox or Tigers? Silly.

EDIT: So too do the Blues. Not the Canadiens, the Rangers, the Red Wings or the Bruins, but the Blues. And the Rams are seeded number 7 in the NFL. It's actually pretty funny.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Do teams in St. Louis get automatic first-round byes?

;)

Just messing with you, this is fun.

The Cardinals do. So too do the Braves, for some reason. I can understand the Cards, but not the Yankees, Sox or Tigers? Silly.

EDIT: So too do the Blues. Not the Canadiens, the Rangers, the Red Wings or the Bruins, but the Blues. And the Rams are seeded number 7 in the NFL. It's actually pretty funny.

Ruin the thread and pull out the homer card some more if you really want.

But the Cardinals I shouldnt have to say anything to justify.

The Blues have just as classy and well designed a logo as the Canadians and Rangers (the Red Wings has some nicer detail), and better designed/more consistant uniforms than the Canadians, Rangers, and Red Wings. Those teams have great looks, and that's why that got good rankings, but I'm not going to overrate their look just because they were one of the "original six". Honestly, are you really going to argue that the Blues overall package is clearly worse than the Canadiens, Rangers, and Red Wings (without mentioning the word tradition)?

And I don't see how the Rams at 7 is bad at all. There are better looks, but they are definitely in the top 1/3 of the league.

Seriously, this is effing old. Can a post a damn thing here without someone saying it's crap because I'm a homer?

As for the Braves over the Yankees and Tigers. The Yanks and Tigers, much like the Rangers and Canadiens, have tradition, but they don't have the better design and consistancy that the Braves have.

Edit: Hectic, you're fine. I'm not so sensitive that I can't take some ribbing. But the serious questioning I keep taking from certain individuals in practically every post of me is ridiculous.

Seriously, this is effing old. Can a post a damn thing here without someone saying it's crap because I'm a homer?

But the serious questioning I keep taking from certain individuals in practically every post of me is ridiculous.

The reason why is because you keep doing it, in everything, everywhere. If you want it to stop, then stop doing it.

Did you honestly think no one would say anything when you automatically advanced 2 of the 3 St Louis teams to the 2nd round?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

But the serious questioning I keep taking from certain individuals in practically every post of me is ridiculous.

The reason why is because you keep doing it, in everything, everywhere. If you want it to stop, then stop doing it.

Did you honestly think no one would say anything when you automatically advanced 2 of the 3 St Louis teams to the 2nd round?

I thought maybe people could objectively see that the Cardinals and Blues very easily can be placed as top two teams in their leagues.

Call me out when I say something that actually makes me a homer.

Don't call me out just because something I did COULD possibly be because I'm a homer.

Seriously. The Cardinals and Blues uniforms are absolutely beautiful and nearly perfect in design criteria. That has nothing to do with me being fans of those teams.

But I guess I can go ahead and close this one down and one of you "non-homers" can go ahead and set it up.

I thought maybe people could objectively see that the Cardinals and Blues very easily can be placed as top two teams in their leagues.

Don't call me out just because something I did COULD possibly be because I'm a homer.

Seriously. The Cardinals and Blues uniforms are absolutely beautiful and nearly perfect in design criteria. That has nothing to do with me being fans of those teams.

But I guess I can go ahead and close this one down and one of you "non-homers" can go ahead and set it up.

I don't see a problem here, homer or not. He pretty much laid it out in an earlier post...the baseball logo is a given, the hockey logo (although I am not big on hockey) is def a Top 5 in my books. The Rams is somewhat questionable, but definitely in the Top 10- honestly, there are some crappy NFL logos and choosing seeds is probably not so easy.

But if you know that you have a reputation, might it not make sense to err on the side of caution? If there's any doubt as to whether this board would agree that the St. Louis Blues are the second-best looking team in the NHL (and you've certainly read enough threads to know that the majority would safely put the Original Six above anyone else), why not just play to that doubt?

I mean, really. "Absolutely beautiful" and "nearly perfect" is quite the praise to heap onto teams that we all know you like. In the grand scheme of the world, a sports logo invitational tournament is a very silly thing, but if you have an appearance problem, why not just subjugate your own feelings just one time?

Seriously. Reread this: "I thought maybe people could objectively see that the Cardinals and Blues very easily can be placed as top two teams in their leagues." You don't think that's a LITTLE bit presumptuous? "Easily"?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

No I don't. There's no reason people should feel so strongly that those two teams don't belong there. They might feel they'd swap 'em one or two spots, but most people should agree they're easily top 3-5, and that 3-5's can often be reordered and still be fine.

I didn't err on the side of caution, because there's no reason to let it affect this one way or the other. I didn't choose them as 1 and 2 seeds because I'm a homer, and I'm not going to NOT choose them as 1 or 2 seeds to somehow try and prove that.

I tried to be clear that most of the seeding was my opinions with some consideration for popular opinion. I didn't just put the Cards and Blues there because I want them there. I HONESTLY from a design perspective believe they belong there. It's my honest opinon.

There's no easy way to seed teams so I just went with my opinions so the board as a whole could vote on a winner.

Unfortunatley, it seems as though members of the board are becoming more and more concerned about pointing out and condemning the flaws of people (whether a member of this board or not) than participating in discussion about sports logos and sports in general.

Nobody even if said, "here's why the Blues and Cardinals definitely don't belong where you seeded them." Instead, it's just, "oh, two St. Louis teams got byes, STL goes overboard sometimes, let's call him a homer some more. Who cares if those teams actually belong there?"

I'm going to leave this tournament up and all that. But I think I might be done expressing my opinions on this board for sometime. I promise, I don't lie about my opinions. I know they can seem (and sometimes are) swayed. But if I said something else to try and "fix" my reputation, then I'd be a liar. And I'd rather be a homer than a liar. So, I'll post news when I see it, facts when I can. But no more opinions for me. Even when the only reason I posted my opionions was to start something I thought would be a pretty nice event for the board, I still was ragged on. So I'm done with that.

Archived