Is this Wrong?

pcgd

That is true about Bill Veeck, he was not allowed to buy the Phillies in 1941 because he planned to sign Negro Leaguers.

As for selling #42 merchandise I say MLB should donate the profits to the development of baseball programs in the inner city with the money made from it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 50 year anniversary was enough. Where is the Larry Doby Tribute Day? Why not a Roberto Clemente Day too?

I thinks doby should be honored as well.

roberto clemente day is Sept 5th

I meant retiring #14 and #21 across MLB.

I think that they would have a tough time retiring #14 in Cincinnati, Chicago (Cubs), Minnesota, N.Y. (Mets), St. Louis and Philadelphia.

The 50 year anniversary was enough. Where is the Larry Doby Tribute Day? Why not a Roberto Clemente Day too?

I think that they would have a tough time retiring #14 in Cincinnati, Chicago (Cubs), Minnesota, N.Y. (Mets), St. Louis and Philadelphia.

I've heard some very compelling arguments in the past favoring a mass retirement of Clemente's #21. That being said, I still don't think what he did as a player and as a person (although quite magnanimous) supercedes or even comes close to the importance and relevance of what Jackie Robinson did. I'll even go as far as to say that if it weren't for Jackie Robinson, Clemente probably wouldn't even have a chance to rise to fame as a ball player.

Feel free to flame but this is an honest question. Why is it Jackie Robinson day and not Branch Rickey day? #42 didn't really "do" anything to break the color barrier. Someone had to choose him, sign him and insert him into the lineup, no? Wasn't that the person who really broke the color barrier?

Do NOT misunderstand me. What Mr Robinson went through when entering the majors was certainly not something I would wish upon anyone. I just don't understand why Mr Rickey does not get his due when this topic, or that of Mr Clemente, arises.

Because he is white.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

At the Cubs game yesterday, there was a guy with a player-name T-shirt that had "LEE 42" on it. That seems a bit much to me. Plus, it was navy. Ugh. Selling 42 with a name seems wrong, too.

I think once MLB put these for sale their motives for the whole decision come into question -- unless every penny goes to charity. That's unfortunate. Doubt Ken Griffey imagined his simple request to honor one of his heroes would turn into a marketing machine for MLB to sell navy "LEE 42" T-shirts.

I don't see a problem with it at all.

Robinson didn't play pro ball to break the color barrier, he didn't do it for charity, he didn't do it to be an ambassador of goodwill.

He played baseball to make money.

He was good at it, and someone was willing to pay him to do it, regardless of the barriers that were preventing him from doing so.

Admire Robinson for what you will... I'll admire him for overcoming obstacles to get paid to do what he loved.

In the spirit of Jackie Robinson, the capitalist, I say sell as many as you can.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Only a Dodgers one isn't bull :censored:

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Here's a Jackie Robinson Giants' jersey...that's like having a Joe DiMaggio Red Sox jersey, or Troy Aikman Redskins jersey.

pMLB2-3681887nm.jpg

Here's two teams that didn't even exist when they retired the number, so they've never had a 42. What better way to pay tribute than to buy a Jackie Robinson Devil Rays' jersey.

pMLB2-3684197nm.jpgpMLB2-3681873nm.jpg

Or the Jackie Robinson tribute Mariano Rivera jersey.

pMLB2-1841775nm.jpg

I love that people are wearing 42 for him, but selling these jerseys is just stupid.

True to all degrees out there. Some things should NEVER be made.

Lakers Dodgers Angels Kings Dolphins Galaxy Liverpool FC UC Santa Barbara USC Trojans UNLV Rebels

I've heard some very compelling arguments in the past favoring a mass retirement of Clemente's #21. That being said, I still don't think what he did as a player and as a person (although quite magnanimous) supercedes or even comes close to the importance and relevance of what Jackie Robinson did. I'll even go as far as to say that if it weren't for Jackie Robinson, Clemente probably wouldn't even have a chance to rise to fame as a ball player.

Clemente was not the first Puerto Rican to play MLB so he did not break any true barriers there--he was just the first superstar. I actually am one chapter away from finishing a Clemente biography. And he did have to go through his share of BS, but not the death threats, etc. that Robinson went through. The minority players, had to stay in different quarters during Florida spring training in the early part of his career and could not eat at most of the restaurants. It was tough for him because this stuff did not really occur in P.R. However, I think to retire his number league-wide could conceivably open the flood-gates for a lot of others that endured what he did.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Clemente was not the first Puerto Rican to play MLB so he did not break any true barriers there--he was just the first superstar. I actually am one chapter away from finishing a Clemente biography. And he did have to go through his share of BS, but not the death threats, etc. that Robinson went through. The minority players, had to stay in different quarters during Florida spring training in the early part of his career and could not eat at most of the restaurants. It was tough for him because this stuff did not really occur in P.R. However, I think to retire his number league-wide could conceivably open the flood-gates for a lot of others that endured what he did.

I still will say that these guys are all better man then I could ever be. The very first racial slur or negative comment that would be thrown at me would probably make me instantly retaliate. These guys really are heroes in a sense.

Archived