Is this Wrong?

pcgd

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now we see the real reason the "Full-team 42" movement was undertaken by MLB: the quick buck.

And they aren't even going to bother putting the 60th Anniversary patch on the sleeve? Sheesh.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What's worst is that the Cards want $70 more for their jersey than the Cubs. Pay for that stadium, Cards fans! Pay!

It's just dumb. Put it on a retro Dodgers jersey, and split the revenue 32 ways (member clubs, league, and Robinson family). This is just a cash grab.

Dumb.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

What's worst is that the Cards want $70 more for their jersey than the Cubs. Pay for that stadium, Cards fans! Pay!

Um, regular authentic Cubs jerseys are $180 while regular Cards jerseys are $250... Has nothing to to with Jackie, or the stadium. Have you ever heard of chain-stitch? Another example: Astros - $250, also chain-stitched. Tigers - $190 Twill. Hmm, do I see a patern? (And the Tigers even have to pay for a stadium!) Dope.

Moose

I thought all the squads were wearing a patch. But seeing as Cleveland and St. Louis are selling replicas of the games they wore for the Civil Rights Game this is par for the course. I don't really have a problem with this though. If players want to wear 42 to honor him, why not the fans?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Well I read on espn.com that MLB was going to authenticate all the "Jackie Jerseys" after tomorrow's games' and auction them off, with the net proceeds going to his charity. I have a feeling some of the proceeds of these tribute jerseys will go there as well. I'd think it'd be better to wait to sell them until tomorrow, but this way fans attending the game can wear them in tribute themselves.

Here's a Jackie Robinson Giants' jersey...that's like having a Joe DiMaggio Red Sox jersey, or Troy Aikman Redskins jersey.

pMLB2-3681887nm.jpg

Here's two teams that didn't even exist when they retired the number, so they've never had a 42. What better way to pay tribute than to buy a Jackie Robinson Devil Rays' jersey.

pMLB2-3684197nm.jpgpMLB2-3681873nm.jpg

Or the Jackie Robinson tribute Mariano Rivera jersey.

pMLB2-1841775nm.jpg

I love that people are wearing 42 for him, but selling these jerseys is just stupid.

Damded Blood-suckers!! Anything for a buck$ - It's not a tribute, but a scam.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Like i said in the thread in the Sports in general section,I have no problem w/ it what so ever as long as a % of the proceeds goes towards the Jackie Robinson Foundation or something

So if MLB donated 1% to the foundation and kept the other 99% of the profit for themselves, that'd make it okay?

Either way, baseball's been pimpin' a romanticized version of the Jackie Robinson story for decades now, at least now they're up front about it.

I don't think it's wrong at all. I'd have no problem with someone wearing a Rockies jersey with #42 and Robinson above the number. 10 years ago when they retired his number I drew in my sketch book the back view of jerseys for each team and the #42 and name in the style of the team at that time. If you understand who the player was and what he meant, and most people who would buy a #42 should understand who Jackie was and what he meant to athletics, then I have no problem with that. It's people who don't know or understand who a player is or what they meant. If they sell these in fashion jerseys, then every punk kid and rapper will wear one because they're cool, and not for a tribute to Jackie. That's when we cringe and shed a tear for the lack of understanding history.

almost seems like a huge waste of money, if the money wasnt going to help a charity, if thats the case. its not like any but the number on the back makes it noteworthy. for $250, i would be better off buying an actually Robinson throwback.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Either way, baseball's been pimpin' a romanticized version of the Jackie Robinson story for decades now, at least now they're up front about it.

I was listening to the Cardinals-Brewers game and they were talking about all of the hardships that Jackie faced, but I was curious as to why they never said where a lot of this stuff took place. You would think it would be in the Southernmost city in the Majors at that point....HEY, wait a second, that was St. Louis!!!!

For the record, I know it happened other places than in STL, it's just kind of funny that the Cardinals are trying to be all high and mighty (which they always do) and classy when dealing with a tribute like this (which they usually are) but I just thought it was a tad insincere.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Here's a Jackie Robinson Giants' jersey...that's like having a Joe DiMaggio Red Sox jersey, or Troy Aikman Redskins jersey.

pMLB2-3681887nm.jpg

I love that people are wearing 42 for him, but selling these jerseys is just stupid.

Robinson was traded to the Giants but chose to retire and go to work for Chock Full'O Nuts instead.

The 50 year anniversary was enough. Where is the Larry Doby Tribute Day? Why not a Roberto Clemente Day too?

I was listening to the Cardinals-Brewers game and they were talking about all of the hardships that Jackie faced, but I was curious as to why they never said where a lot of this stuff took place. You would think it would be in the Southernmost city in the Majors at that point....HEY, wait a second, that was St. Louis!!!!

For the record, I know it happened other places than in STL, it's just kind of funny that the Cardinals are trying to be all high and mighty (which they always do) and classy when dealing with a tribute like this (which they usually are) but I just thought it was a tad insincere.

I missed most of the broadcast today, but I'm a little curious what exactly you mean? This stuff took place all over for the most part as you note, but what exactly is St. Louis' significance that you bring it up? Or are you saying you view a lot of the tributes as slightly insincere because of what happened. Or were they acting as though it didn't happen in St. Louis? Or did Robinson play one of his first games in St. Louis (I'll look that up after I post) and so St. Louis was one of the first places he faced these hardships?

I'm just curious. I'm honestly not trying to defend my city as a homer here, but because it's my city I am looking for clarification.

A story I've heard (which illustrates that St. Louis certainly wasn't free from this racial hatred and also illustrates the greatness of character of a great player) is that in the first game Robinson played against the Cardinals (not sure whether it was in STL or Brooklyn), the entire team was ready to not play the game in protest, but the great Stan Musial knew better and talked his team out of that and into going and playing a game of baseball.

Before I post, I did just re-read your post and maybe understand it more. You just felt like the Cardinals broadcast maybe was ignoring the fact that such intolerance occured in St. Louis? Could be true, or could be they felt since it happened every where there was no reason to specify. As for an insincere tribute, in the same way I don't think I should be held accountable for slavery just because people of the same race as me had slaves 200 years ago, I don't think you can say the current organization and city's tribute is insincere just because 60 years ago the people of the city and team weren't tolerant. Plus, it wasn't all that long after that the Cardinals were on the forefront of integration, a great example of which is that they bought their Spring Training hotel so that their black players would not be required to stay in a separate hotel from their white players. But I'm still not completely sure I understand what your saying, so I'll let you clarify.

Archived