USA Baseball Uniforms

averyj

I'm not an expert, but aren't there some restrictions in the rules for "proper use of the flag" that theoretically prevent it from being used as a part of clothing, etc.? That's why I always laugh inside when I see some "patriotic" guy in one of those flag shirts.

If it wasn't actually made out of a flag, then there is no problem with it.

The U.S. Flag Code says:

"No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.

The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart"

You can find the rest of the Flag Code via Google; read in its entirety it is quite clear that when it speaks of using the flag as a costume, it doesn't just mean taking an actual, existing flag and using it as a toga. If it looks like a flag, it is a flag, and it must not be worn on an athletic uniform. (Or, in general, worn at all.) In the quoted text above, the "however" clause specifically allowing public servants and patriotic organizations to wear flag patches after the blanket ban on athletic uniforms cannot reasonably be read as anything other than "outlawing" flag patches on athletic uniforms.

If Congress ever passed, and the states ratified, the anti-flag-burning amendment, the U.S. Flag Code would likely become the enforceable law of the land. Other sections of the Flag Code, combined with the quoted bit above, would probably make athletic teams criminally liable if they either wore flag patches or sold uniforms with flag patches to the public. Would the U.S. Olympic baseball program be considered a "patriotic organization" rather than an athletic one? Possibly. But it's not even conceivable that the professional leagues, or collegiate programs, could qualify for that loophole.

But for now, the Flag Code is just a guide to etiquette, and so flag patches on sports uniforms are not illegal. They're just unpatriotic, to exactly the same degree as flying an unlit flag overnight is, or flying a soiled or torn flag, or painting a flag on the ground for people to walk on. I'm a stickler for flag etiquette, and all of those things piss me off big time, even though they're almost always done with good intentions.

20082614447.png

Archived