Baseball unis hall of fame

Cianfrocco

Nothing against the Canadiens, but anyone who on a global scale is putting the Habs ahead of the Yankees is crazy. I am not sure that I could name 1 current Canadiens player, without looking it up. The Yankees have players like Jeter and one or two others who are bona fide celebrities.  Maybe its because they are from a cosmopolitan place like New York, maybe its because MLB ios bigger globally than NHL, (notice I didn't say baseball is bigger than hockey!) but the Yankees are clearly ahead of the Canadiens. In fact Manchester United, Real Madrid, Boston Celtics, and the LA Lakers are probably bigger on a global scale than the Canadiens, to name just 4 teams.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Montreal tho has never gone and gotten big stars that are popular elsewhere in North America, or the World for that matter. They've always built up home grown talent. Young French Canadiens have always been a mainstay of Canadiens history, and since the vast majority of North Americans couldn't give a hoot one way or another about French Atheletes, they've been the 'Quiet Stars'. No doubt they've had some of hockey's biggest stars or memorable moments, but that was before the 1980's when thsoe days happened, nobody remembers those anymore.

The Yankees are winning championships now, they're having record seasons and signing the big names. A few years ago, I would have argued that the Canadiens were the greatest historical team, but The Yankees have the honour of that title now, no doubt.

Really, it is true that hockey is the least popular North American Sport, come on, they got lower ratings that the XFL for God's sake!

In hockey tho, The Canadiens are heads and shoulders above everyone else. It helps that they're almost 100 years young, but they've won 24 Stanley Cups, almost a 25% winning rate. The Leafs are second in Cup victories with 14, and Detroit with 10.

Another interesting point, Montreal has won a Stanley Cup in each decade since it's inception. they have this season, and after this five more to win another to keep their streak alive.

As a loyal Habs fan, it is tough to conceed that the dman Yankees are the best team, but they have earned it. I can take solice that they are the greatest hockey club ever tho

In fact Manchester United, Real Madrid, Boston Celtics, and the LA Lakers are probably bigger on a global scale than the Canadiens, to name just 4 teams.

manchester united- ill give you that...maby. when comparing the habs and man u its all in difference in oppinion. do you like hockey or soccer? id say they are equall, but man u is not greater then les canadians.

real madrid- the ONLY soccer team that can compare to the the habs is man u.

boston celtics- younger then then the habs and less championchips.

la lakers- see celtics.

zer0dotcom is correct. the habs have won the stanley cup in each decade of their existance. with the exeption of the late 90's, the habs have been contenders. as i said before the yankees have been great some decades, and afull others.

budbowl77, i know someone who used to be very close with george steinbrenner, and according to him, the yanks are illegally smugling players out of cuba, just so he can win more titles, and you accuse other teams manegment of being imoreal?!?! steinbrenner will do whatever it takes to win, even if it involves breaking the law. he is getting what he deserves, though, since the yanks havnt won a world series since 2000, and id dosnt look like they will win one agian for a long time. the only real star left is jeter since most of their pitchers have left. if jeter were smart he would leave after next season. the habs are rebuilding, and in a few years they will be on top of the nhl again. hopefully we can expect the habs and leafs to be the top two twams agfain in the near future. that would be great, and no one will care about a yankees team that is passed its prime.

I agree with most of the selections (save for the Astros unis...ugh). I think u really can't go wrong with the ones that have always stayed classic (Red Sox, Tigers, etc.)

In 2002, Massachusetts held on on-line pole as to which new slogan would look best on the new state lisence plates. There were 3 choices: "The Bay State" "Birthplace of America" and (write in). One write in choice received 55% of the total vote...

YANKEES SUCK!

GO SOX! COWBOY UP 2004!

Conan O'Brien did a similar thing for Connecticut...

"CONNECTICUT: The State The Red Sox Have To Drive Through After Losing To The Yankees."

Viva el Bambino.

A few years ago, I would have argued that the Canadiens were the greatest historical team, but The Yankees have the honour of that title now, no doubt.

Totally agree. Before 1996, when the Canadiens were at 23, and the Yankess at 22 championships, i think there was a legitimate argument, but this recent Dynasty run has ended that argument for now. Who knows what the future holds...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

If we are talking a global scale, then Hockey doesn't register nearly as much as other sports. Not even on the radar. This isn't about who has won more championships, its about tradition and the such like. Yeah the Habs might be the biggest and best hocky franchise, but show a British or Chinese person, for instance the Habs logo and they wouldn't know what it was. Show them the Man United, Real Madrid, or LA Lakers logo and they would instantly recognise them. I am not trying to do in hockey or the habs, but it is just a matter of fact, on a global scale the Habs aren't nearly as big a franchise as some people seem to think they are. It would be like trying to say an Aussie Rules or Rugby team was one of the world's great franchises.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I guess depending on where you are, your list is gonna be different, but, most peoples #1 usually is the Yankees, which is quite astonishing on a global level. I'm sure ManU get's a lot of #1 votes as well... i'd like to see that put to a global poll... I think your top two votegetters would be the Yankees and ManU, just for the simple fact that people who don't even know soccer or baseball know the New York Yankees and Manchester United.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I still find it surprising that teams like the Yankees Manu (LA Lakers have been mentioned to) have such recognition around the World, quite astonishing

Its a lot down to marketing, a lot down to history (not just in terms of championships won but something more abstract), and a lot down to the sports they play. Sure Football is probably the US's major sport now, but when radio was booming and then when tv was in its infancy, baseball and the Yankees were in there heyday. In Britain similarly Man U were doing well as TV became popular. And they received a lot of sympathy after the Munich Air Crash, when half there team was killed, and several other important people, including the manager were seriously injured.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

a lot down to history (not just in terms of championships won but something more abstract)

im not saying that the habs are great simply because they are 24 time champs. im saying they are great because they are

1) 24x champs

2) have ben around since 1909

3) have won a cup in each of their decades of existance

4) have always remaned competitive with the exeception of the late 90's (the yankees have gone threw some pretty bade decades)

5) have just as much history as either the yankees or man u.

saintsfan69, im not sure i could tell what a man u logo looks like. arsenel, yes, man u no. (but then again i dont pay attention to soccer). the la lakers dont even compare to the habs. the yankees and man u compare, but not the lakers. you say hockey isnt huge in the world? i read in an article in sports illustrated that the olympic commette was thinking about getting rid of baseball because the u.s. didnt make the cut. when you cut an olympic sport becase one country didnt get in you know that sport isnt popular.

Olympic basebal;l isn't popular, the MLB is. And I have not said that hockey isn't popular, in fact in  many ways globally of the 'North American' sports it may well be the most popular, but the NHL isn't that popular globally.

And I really do respect the Habs tradition, but it is really purely a canadian, or at best North American, tradition, whilst there is something more global about Man U, the Lakers, the Yankees, Real Madrid.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

i geuss we will just have to agree to disagree.  :D  thats what i love aboput these boards. you can speak your mind and people actually listen, and if they disagree they give you intelligent reasons for it. you put up a great argument saintsfan69  :) .

i geuss we will just have to agree to disagree. :D thats what i love aboput these boards. you can speak your mind and people actually listen, and if they disagree they give you intelligent reasons for it. you put up a great argument saintsfan69 :) .

Thanks! And I have never taken offence with people who disagree with me! As long as you understand that when it copmes down to it I am right!! :P

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Back to the article at hand (I stopped reading after the tenth Habs-Yanks reply, so forgive me if this is repetitive), it was good, but I have a few issues:

He says the Orioles were alone with black and orange. Uh, Giants?

He also says those 2001 White Sox alternates -- truly a uni all by itself since it was based on, but not identical to, the 1917 World Series duds -- were red and black. In fact, it was that dark blue used by the Yankees, Tigers, etc. that is often confused with black. Although the Sox currents are simple, new classics, I would have been OK with a change to those alts permanently. (Those c

Back to the article at hand (I stopped reading after the tenth Habs-Yanks reply, so forgive me if this is repetitive), it was good, but I have a few issues:

He says the Orioles were alone with black and orange. Uh, Giants?

He also says those 2001 White Sox alternates -- truly a uni all by itself since it was based on, but not identical to, the 1917 World Series duds -- were red and black. In fact, it was that dark blue used by the Yankees, Tigers, etc. that is often confused with black. Although the Sox currents are simple, new classics, I would have been OK with a change to those alts permanently. (Those caps with the piping were great... someone needs to do that again.)

Otherwise, great article. Can't disagree with much... gotta love the respect for the Cubs uni.

The early days weren't as tough as you are making them sound to be. There were two leagues, and each league had like 5 teams. And the other league was terrible. It'd be like having NHL vs AHL.

That's odd, most hockey historians I talk to, including various authors and an editor of "Total Hockey", don?t consider the PCHA a "terrible" league. The HHOF doesn?t appear to disagree either, judging by the number of honored members from the league.

The PCHA (including the WCHL and original WHL) is considered one of the three major hockey leagues by most authorities. I guess your limited view can be excused considering your historical "research" consisted of browsing the Hockey News CD.

Archived