MLB Concept Series #6: Houston Astros

mania

Other than your Blue Jays concept, which was good in exactly the same way that everyone else's turn-the-blue-jays-blue recoloring job has been, I've not been a fan of these series. Our tastes on purely aesthetic grounds seem to differ wildly. Also, I'm not a fan of blue and orange for the Astros, on account of blue and orange being colors you basically don't see in space. It's like, if the sky is blue, you're not in space. You're not an astronaut until you look out the cockpit and the sky is black. These are, by definition, anti-"astro" colors. Plus I love the current Astros set (though not the home pinstripes).

Which is why I feel obliged to say that I really like this concept. The jersey scripts are fantastic. Might need to be angled up a bit; that final S in Astros is leaning way the heck too far over. Same with the terminal N in Houston. Plus, the sense of upward motion would be more appropriate for the team's space-program identity.

Otherwise, the only thing I'd look to change is the star on the cap and shoulder patch. It's just a tad too delicate. Needs to be a bit thicker throughout, mainly for visibility but also to make it a visually stronger logo.

Fun uniforms, these. Good work!

20082614447.png

You'd sort of see blue and orange on Mars, BallWonk. That is, if you think of dark as possibly REALLY DARK BLUE which I believe might suit this concept a tad better.

-Brian aka the patsox.

Yeah, I was looking for something that seemed like it fit with the logo font while still being legible for smaller numbers.

I really don't think there was a better choice period, and I kind of got lucky in that aspect.

Those look an awful lot like the Sabres' numbers. I like them.

I've never been much into baseball, but I was born in Houston, so the Astros are my team.

This looks really good. My favorite Astros uniforms are the brick red / sand-colored ones (are they using those still, or no?), but this is a splendid alternative.

You'd sort of see blue and orange on Mars, BallWonk. That is, if you think of dark as possibly REALLY DARK BLUE which I believe might suit this concept a tad better.

-Brian aka the patsox.

Really? The orange, I get: the surface of Mars is generally a sort of rust color, thanks to a widespread covering of ferrous-oxide dust, more a shade of red-brown or yellow-brown than anything. The Astros brick red is not bad for a surface-of-Mars color, which is why I like it, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to call the rust color of the that dominates the Martian surface orange, either.

But where would one see blue on Mars? Not normally in the daytime sky, which is generally brownish/yellow. (Despite erroneously calibrated early pictures from the Viking lander that were skewed first to show a blue sky and then to show a pink sky.) Is the nightime Martian sky dark blue, not black? I've seen Pathfinder photos of basalt outcroppings that have shades of dark metallic blue. I'm curious: I'm a bit of a NASA buff, and if something on Mars is blue I want to know about it!

Of course, once Arnold Schwarzenegger activates the hidden terraforming machinery under Olympus Mons and releases billions of tons of frozen oxygen into the atmosphere in 2084, Mars will have orange soil and a blue sky, and then the old Astros color scheme will be perfect. ^_^

My curiosity about Martian blue aside, a Martian-themed color scheme is a good idea for the Astros, since NASA is now committed to a longterm plan of pretending to be sending astronauts to Mars as its main priority. (Since it's been more than thirty-five years since the space agency succeeded in sending astronauts further from the earth's surface than the distance from Houston to Dallas, and they've managed to lose 40 percent of their spacecraft just doing that, I'm not holding my breath that we'll ever actually send anyone to Mars. But I applaud the pretense of planning to do so, and in case it ever actually happens a lot of the work will take place in or near Houston. So go Martian-colored Astros!)

20082614447.png

-Brian aka the patsox.

Really? The orange, I get: the surface of Mars is generally a sort of rust color, thanks to a widespread covering of ferrous-oxide dust, more a shade of red-brown or yellow-brown than anything. The Astros brick red is not bad for a surface-of-Mars color, which is why I like it, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to call the rust color of the that dominates the Martian surface orange, either.

But where would one see blue on Mars? Not normally in the daytime sky, which is generally brownish/yellow. (Despite erroneously calibrated early pictures from the Viking lander that were skewed first to show a blue sky and then to show a pink sky.) Is the nightime Martian sky dark blue, not black? I've seen Pathfinder photos of basalt outcroppings that have shades of dark metallic blue. I'm curious: I'm a bit of a NASA buff, and if something on Mars is blue I want to know about it!

Of course, once Arnold Schwarzenegger activates the hidden terraforming machinery under Olympus Mons and releases billions of tons of frozen oxygen into the atmosphere in 2084, Mars will have orange soil and a blue sky, and then the old Astros color scheme will be perfect. ^_^

My curiosity about Martian blue aside, a Martian-themed color scheme is a good idea for the Astros, since NASA is now committed to a longterm plan of pretending to be sending astronauts to Mars as its main priority. (Since it's been more than thirty-five years since the space agency succeeded in sending astronauts further from the earth's surface than the distance from Houston to Dallas, and they've managed to lose 40 percent of their spacecraft just doing that, I'm not holding my breath that we'll ever actually send anyone to Mars. But I applaud the pretense of planning to do so, and in case it ever actually happens a lot of the work will take place in or near Houston. So go Martian-colored Astros!)

Sorry, the whole blue thing was a stretch I know. Sorry.

Archived