Golden State Warriors Redesign for 07-08?

koizim

Many people in America can't even find the US on a World Map let alone tell you where/what the 'Golden State' is.

Just out of curiosity, where did you have to reach to pull that one from?

Not far :D A few years ago they did a survey that involved random people trying to correctly identify the US on a world map. Now that I think of it, the study might have been done with students in middle and highschool, but it may have been adults too. The results were quite startling.

The orange was a crap tack-on from the 1997 redesign.

Interesting anecdote on that, the NBA lobbied hard for Chris Cohan to use a submitted logo design of a "he-man like character holding up the golden gate bridge". Cohan vetoed that and went with the slightly-less stupid power ranger that's still in use. Never mind the fact that the Golden Gate Bridge has nothing to do with Oakland anyway... NBA genius at work...

If they're going to use a generic name like "Golden State," they ought not be limited to Oakland iconography.

When the logo was announced, I remember there was a small drawing of that he-man/bridge logo, but I never saw it again.

I would love to see it. Can't be any worse than the garbage they have now.

Frankly, the Golden State moniker is one of the brilliant things about that franchise.

It funny, because I can't disagree with you more. I think for a team that up until this postseason hasn't made many strides in marketing themselves or establishing a national presence in over a decade, having a name like Golden State is actually very detrimental in my opinion. Many people in America can't even find the US on a World Map let alone tell you where/what the 'Golden State' is. I've always prefered San Francisco, Oakland, or even California for that reason. It is an original name, but not one that I think ultimately benefits the image of the team on a national stage.

As a SF resident, I don't blame the team for not wanting to be saddled with the "Oakland" name. It's just not a well-regarded town, for whatever reason (which I shall not get into on this here forum).

And San Francisco? SF has nothing to do with the team, nor is SF a particular hotbed of basketball support (or pro sports in general - Giants notwithstanding).

And California? I don't think you could get more generic than "California". It may have worked with the Angels, but it just doesn't link to "Warriors" well.

I guess I see your point, but by them trying to not associate themselves with either of those three things it has forced them to choose a moniker that isn't as clear as many people think. Seriously, many people truly have no idea what the Golden State is. Even if they do, it doesn't do much to promote the Oakland or Bay area. I bet there are just as many good sides to this as there are bad sides so this might be a stalemate. I'm not a big fan of using a broader state name when a team can use a more specific and very recognizable city name, thats all.

My thing is this--and I'm amazed this hasn't come up yet: America's primadonna NFL team also has a regional moniker for its locale name...New England.

Outside of Patriot fans and ESPN junkies...how many people can you run into on the street, ask them "where do the Patriots play" and expect to hear the correct answer? Think most would have a clue it's Foxboro?

Same type of deal with Golden State...it's unique, and identifies with an area, even if a lot of people have no clue EXACTLY where the team plays.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Outside of Patriot fans and ESPN junkies...how many people can you run into on the street, ask them "where do the Patriots play" and expect to hear the correct answer? Think most would have a clue it's Foxboro?

I think none would. The truly savvy and informed fan is well aware that the municipality within which the Patriots play their home games officially spells its name F-O-X-B-O-R-O-U-G-H.

Sorry, Brandon... :D

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I think none would. The truly savvy and informed fan is well aware that the municipality within which the Patriots play their home games officially spells its name F-O-X-B-O-R-O-U-G-H.

See...I didn't even know...that's just the way I be seeing it spelled in USA Today and on Sportscenter sometimes...which I guess is rather telling, now isn't it? (But then..ain't like I really give 2/5 of a $#*! bout them anyway...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'd just like to add that the shirts are gold/yellow because the guy who started making these "We Believe" shirts before the Warriors went ahead and cranked out their official shirts, printed the design on yellow shirts. Surprisingly, despite "Go Warriors" appearing on the shirts, the team actually offered to reimburse his $10,000 rather than sue him for image rights infringement. Way to go Warriors!

On a side note, since you're a San Francisco resident leedsunited, do you plan on attending any Victory matches at Kezar? We could always use another Leeds supporter in the bunch.

You know, I just got a flyer from my son's elementary school that alerted me to the very existence of the Victory. You're damn right I will be there for a few matches this summer. I'll post a thread (or bump this one) later on, nothing wrong with a few pre-match pints amongst Leeds supporters.

I didn't know that myself until FOX spelled it right in one of their pregame shows. I thought that was cool, and made more sense with that spelling.

Archived