More Logo Thievery

mfoster

13708365424.jpg1370836549.jpg

http://roguevalleywranglers.com/

Rouge Valley (Medford) is a new Junior B (well, maybe Tier 3 Jr A if the league gets approved as such in a few weeks) team in the NorPac. I know the cowboy is a dumbed-down knockoff, but does the horse come from something else too? I swear the "tail" looks like a chicken's backside from somewhere, like an old Rossignol emblem or something. Whatever it was, it looks like the bottom of the rightmost two locks/feathers overlapped with something else and was cleaned up after the extraction.

So we have at least one borrowed element, gradient shading, and lettering that screams WordArt. What am I missing?

Oh, and who designed Las Vegas' logo? Too bad there's not finder's fees for this sort of thing... :)

Marc

:blink:

WOW! Thats pretty blatant.

On a related note....I've always thought that the Las Vegas Wranglers logo would have been stronger without the Cowboy guy. The steer is strong enough to stand on its own. That being said it is a nice logo, just not one that should be stolen by another team.

Here is their horrid jersey. (Thanks for the link Marc)

No prob... I should have put it in the original post...

It was looking at this jersey with bleary eyes first thing this morning that the chicken-rider revealed himself. Or maybe I need new glasses.

So the logo and jersey crest colors don't even match. It's orange on one and pink (just not My Pretty Pony pink) on the other...

Nice...

It's a bad logo, but I wouldn't call it a ripoff.

Okay, you've baited me to respond....how can you say that it isn't a ripoff considering there are atleast four or five distinct elements that are almost exactly the same?

I guess you could say it's a concept ripoff, but were I Bosack (I think it was Bosack who did it), I'd be insulted to have the two compared.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Okay, you've baited me to respond....how can you say that it isn't a ripoff considering there are atleast four or five distinct elements that are almost exactly the same?

Can you name those 5 elements?

So far every details I've tried to match up ahas been slightly altered, except baybe the glove (wrist to finger).

Let's not get too excited, not sure the "finders' fee" would be that high... it's afriggin' Junior B team...

You think every Ranger, Red Wings, Maple Leafs Junior B team ia paying rights to the NHL Clubs???

isn't one of the determinents in copyrighting disputes the ability to Profit from the thievery? I can't see these guys making too much PROFIT from merchandise sales...

Am I the only one who sees SOMETHING Else in the "W" ???

Gotta love the two different fonts used for the word WRANGLER... :wacko:

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

So far every details I've tried to match up ahas been slightly altered, except baybe the glove (wrist to finger).

That's what I meant when I called it dumbed-down... it's the same, only the details were washed out.

Let's not get too excited, not sure the "finders' fee" would be that high... it's afriggin' Junior B team...

You think every Ranger, Red Wings, Maple Leafs Junior B team ia paying rights to the NHL Clubs???

You did see the smiley, right? And BTW, MLB *has* come down on all levels, down to Little League, for just using the same names (right or wrong, they did). The NHL has not done enough to protect their marks over the last 50-60 years.

isn't one of the determinents in copyrighting disputes the ability to Profit from the thievery? I can't see these guys making too much PROFIT from merchandise sales...

At this level some do, some don't... My problem is that regardless of the level, such blatant swiping reflects a lack of professionalism within the organization.

Am I the only one who sees SOMETHING Else in the "W" ???

Gotta love the two different fonts used for the word WRANGLER... :wacko:

I don't have as much a problem with a different font for the first letter, but would have expected maybe the W to be made up of a pair of horseshoes (and used as a secondary logo). The "fancy" W serves little purpose, IMHO.

I'm still trying to find out if the head and tail were swiped from something else. The tail is not from Le Coq Sportif, but it's conceptually similar.

I guess you could say it's a concept ripoff, but were I Bosack (I think it was Bosack who did it), I'd be insulted to have the two compared.

I totally agree with you on that one!

remember I said ALMOST exactly the same ;) ....here goes:

1. The hockey stick

2. The gloved hand

3. The cowboy (his hat, overall design, silhoutted face, etc) They basically reversed the colors.

4. The three lines that come from the steer are incorporated into the end of the horse (I know they're not exactly alike, but they are distinctly similar)

5. The script font from 'Las Vegas' is 'borrowed' to some degree in the 'W'

Like I said before 'ALMOST exactly the same' but enough that you can definately make the connection...know what I mean?

At first I didn't think it was a ripoff, but now I am not so sure. There are a few details that are common to both designs, and I wonder how much of it can be merely coincidental:

1) The shading on front of the hat and underside of the brim

2) The triangular bandana in the reverse color

3) the triangular fabric protrusion that comes down the armpit to the middle of the back.

4) Both cowboys are wearing gloves which extend to mid-forearm.

I don't know. All those items can be seen as common features for a cowboy illustration. However, the fact that both drawings depict all of them quite similarly - well, its debateable, although I doubt "prosecutable".

LT

Here's the relevant portions of the two on top of each other, with the angle adjusted on the fake (26 degrees).

13821070349.jpg

All the pirate did was invert the colors and add a lot of shade/shadow layers to wash out the details, but it's still obvious enough to me....

Other than what's been previously mentioned - the face shadowing (again, washed out somewhat) and the angle of the arm bend match...

Archived